Areas of interest
- I'm especially interested in ethics, reasons and rationality, and decision theory, especially when they involve vagueness.
- I'm happy to take on PhD students in ethics, reasons and rationality, and decision theory, especially when they involve vagueness.
- I mostly teach ethics, but also some mediaeval philosophy and occasionally logic.
Research centres and groups
- Reading Ethics and Political Philosophy (REAPP)
Websites/blogsLuke Elson's personal webpage
- Elson, L. ORCID: 0000-0002-3013-8030 (2021) What does incommensurability tell us about agency?. In: Andersson, H. and Herlitz, A. , (eds.) Value Incommensurability: Ethics, Risk, and Decision-Making. Routledge , New York. ISBN: 9780367702182 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9781003148012
- Elson, L. (2019) Can Streumer simply avoid supervenience?. Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy , 16 (3). pp. 259-267. ISSN: 1559-3061 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.26556/jesp.v16i3.508
- Elson, L. (2019) Probabilistic promotion and ability. Ergo , 6 (34). ISSN: 2330-4014 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3998/ergo.12405314.0006.034
- Elson, L. (2017) Incommensurability as vagueness: a burden-shifting argument. Theoria , 83 (4). pp. 341-363. ISSN: 1755-2567 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/theo.12129
- Elson, L. (2016) Tenenbaum and Raffaman on vague projects, the Self-Torturer, and the sorites. Ethics , 126 (2). pp. 474-488. ISSN: 1539-297X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1086/683533
- Elson, L. (2014) Borderline cases and the collapsing principle. Utilitas , 26 (1). pp. 51-60. ISSN: 1741-6183 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S095382081300023X
- Elson, L. (2014) Heaps and Chains: Is the Chaining Argument for parity a sorites?. Ethics , 124 (3). pp. 557-571. ISSN: 141704 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1086/674844