Dr David Ward
- Director of the Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences Speech Research Laboratories
- Speech and Language Therapy Part 1 Tutor.
Areas of interest
Motor speech control, speech kinematics in normal and speech/language disordered populations, stuttering, cluttering, the treatment of disorders of fluency.
David Ward is Lecturer and Director of the Clinical Language Sciences Speech Research Laboratory at the University of Reading. His qualifications include a BSc in Speech Pathology and Therapy (1987), an MA in Linguistics and Phonetics (1988) and a PhD in speech kinematics and stammering (1995).
He is currently Chair of the International Cluttering Association's academic and research committees, and is an editorial consultant for the newly formed Bulgarian Journal of Communication Disorders.
Ward practiced as a speech language pathologist in Canada before returning to the UK to undertake his PhD at the University of Reading. He now combines his academic position with a specialist NHS post in clinical practice (dysfluency) in Oxford.
His research interests cluster around the areas of motor speech control, articulatory kinematics and brain imaging in both normal speech and in stammering and cluttering. Further interests include clinical aspects of these disorders.
In addition to journal articles and book chapters, he has written a textbook on stammering and cluttering (2006) and more recently co-edited a textbook on cluttering (2011; with Scaler Scott), to which he also contributed two chapters. His new book on cluttering therapy (with Scaler Scott) will be published in 2012.
A deepening understanding of the fluency disorder, "cluttering".
TeachingCore and advanced fluency courses, phonetics practical courses.
Research centres and groupsLanguage and Cognition
Academic qualificationsPhD, MA, BSc, MRCSLT, reg HCPC.
- Sønsterud, H. , Feragen, K. , Kirmess, M. , Halvorsen, M. , Ward, D. (2020) What do people search for in stuttering therapy: personal goal-setting as a gold standard?. Journal of Communication Disorders , 85 pp 0. ISSN: 0021-9924 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2019.105944
- Gosselin, E. and Ward, D. (2019) Attention performance in people who clutter: a pilot study. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups , 4 (6). pp. 1581-1588. ISSN: 2381-473X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2019_pers-sig17-2019-0019
- Sønsterud, H. , Kirmiss, M. , Howells, K. , Ward, D. , Feragen, K. , Halvorsen, M. (2019) The working alliance in stuttering treatment: a neglected variable?. International Journal of Language and Communcation Disorders , 54 (4). pp. 606-619. ISSN: 1460-6984 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1460-6984.12465
- Connally, E. , Ward, D. , Pliatsikas, C. , Finnegan, S. , Jenkinson, M. , Boyles, R. , Watkins, K. (2018) Separation of trait and state in stuttering. Human Brain Mapping , 39 (8). pp. 3109-3126. ISSN: 1065-9471 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hbm.24063
- Gough, P. , Connally, E. , Howell, P. , Ward, D. , Chesters, J. , Watkins, K. (2018) Planum temporale asymmetry in people who stutter. Journal of Fluency Disorders , 55 pp. 94-105. ISSN: 0094-730X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2017.06.003
- Ward, D. (2017) Stuttering and cluttering: frameworks for understanding and treatment. 2nd edition. CRC Press pp 485. ISBN: 9781848722002
- Alameer, M. , Meteyard, L. , Ward, D. (2017) Stuttering generalization self-measure: preliminary development of a self-measuring tool. Journal of Fluency Disorders , 53 pp. 41-51. ISSN: 0094-730X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2017.04.001
- St Louis, K. , Sønsterud, H. , Junuzović-Žunić, L. , Tomaiuoli, D. , Del Gado, F. , Caparelli, E. , Theiling, M. , Flobakk, C. , Helmen, L. , Heitmann, R. , Kvenseth, H. , Nilsson, S. , Wetterling, T. , Lundström, C. , Daly, C. , Leahy, M. , Tyrrell, L. , Ward, D. , Węsierska, M. (2016) Public attitudes toward stuttering in Europe: within-country and between-country comparisons. Journal of Communication Disorders , 62 pp. 115-130. ISSN: 0021-9924 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2016.05.010
- Bretherton-Furness, J. , Ward, D. , Saddy, D. (2016) Creating a non-word list to match 226 of the Snodgrass standardised picture set. OMICB publishing group
- Ward, D. , Connally, E. , Pliatsikas, C. , Bretherton-Furness, J. , Watkins, K. (2015) The neurological underpinnings of cluttering: some initial findings. Journal of Fluency Disorders , 43 pp. 1-16. ISSN: 0094-730X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2014.12.003
- Scaler Scott, K. and Ward, D. (2013) Managing cuttering: a comprehensive guidebook of activities. Pro-Ed Inc. ISBN: 978-1416405429
- Connally, E. , Ward, D. , Howell, P. , Watkins, K. (2013) Disrupted white matter in language and motor tracts in developmental stuttering. Brain and Language , 131 pp. 25-35. ISSN: 0093-934X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bandl.2013.05.013
- Bretherton-Furness, J. and Ward, D. (2012) Lexical access, story re-telling and sequencing skills in adults who clutter and those who do not. Journal of Fluency Disorders , 37 (4). pp. 214-224. ISSN: 0094-730X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2012.09.001
- Ward, D. (2011) Scope and constraint in the diagnosis of cluttering: combining two perspectives. Cluttering: a handbook of research, intervention and education. Psychology Press , Sussex. pp. 254-262. ISBN: 9781848720299
- Ward, D. (2010) Sudden onset stuttering in an adult: Neurogenic and psychogenic perspectives. Journal of Neurolinguistics , 23 (5). pp. 511-517. ISSN: 0911-6044 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jneuroling.2009.06.001
- Ward, . (2008) Cluttering condensed: some notes for clinicians. Bulletin: the official magazine of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (677). pp. 14-15..
- Ward, . (2008) The aetiology and treatment of developmental stammering in childhood. Archives of Disease in Childhood , 93 (1). pp. 68-71. ISSN: 0003-9888 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/adc.2006.109942