This course is delivered by Dr Chris Holloway. It runs from January to March 2024. Applications for the 2024/25 academic year are not yet open. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be informed when applications open.
This course explores weather systems and circulations in the tropical atmosphere, such as:
- the intertropical convergence zone
- the Hadley and Walker Circulations
- the El Nino-Southern Oscillation
- the Madden-Julian Oscillation
- tropical cyclones.
The online course is developed from the Tropical Weather Systems module.
You will need to satisfactorily complete three of the five problem sheets to pass.
Timetabled sessions in 2024
Timetabled online live classes will be on Tuesdays from 10am to 11am:
- 16 January
- 30 January
- 13 February
- 27 February
- 12 March
- 26 March
A joining link will be given to enrolled learners.
- A working knowledge of A-level Mathematics or equivalent
- Equivalent to Further Mathematics A-level or a pass equivalent to a 2.1 in a first year science undergraduate mathematics module (particularly vector calculus).
- A pass equivalent to a 2.1 in an undergraduate module in meteorology or atmospheric science or the online course Fundamentals of Meteorology.
Apply by 19 December 2023.