The Department of Meteorology at the University of Reading offers a variety of scheduled and open online courses, as well as short courses, summer schools and meteorological masterclasses.
Scheduled online courses
We provide a range of scheduled online courses in aspects of meteorology and climate, supported by our internationally renowned academic staff:
- Fundamentals of Meteorology
- Statistics for Weather and Climate Science
- Tropical Meteorology
- Climate Services and Climate Impact Modelling.
These classes are suitable training for aspiring and professional meteorologists, consultants, STEM students, graduates, keen amateurs, and academics seeking to improve their range of skills and knowledge.
Online learners will study over one term. Applications and enquiries are welcome from people in the UK and overseas. Competitive 80% scholarships are available for applicants from low to middle income countries.
Open online courses
Study one of our free, on-demand courses.
These online courses are open to anyone. No existing knowledge or experience of meteorology is required.
Short courses and summer schools
Short courses and summer schools are designed to train professionals, postgraduate and doctoral graduates as well as early career scientists. Leaders in their fields provide overviews and some of their latest research.
- The Data Assimilation Research Centre and the National Centre for Earth Observation (NCEO) provide short training courses on data assimilation and other specialised topics in Earth Observation.
- The Walker Academy delivers immersive courses to students, NGOs, government agencies, academics and research partners. Rooted in the Walker Institute's first-hand experience of implementing interdisciplinary projects across the globe to support climate change adaptation and resilience, these courses develop practical skills and critical insights.