The Department of Meteorology at Reading offers a variety of online courses, including open online courses, short courses and summer schools.
Take a climate or meteorology class online
The department of Meteorology is offering online classes in aspects of Meteorology and Climate, supported by our internationally-renowned academic staff. Online learners will study over one term.
These classes are suitable training for aspiring and professional meteorologists, consultants, STEM students, graduates, keen amateurs and academics seeking to improve their range of skills and knowledge. Applications and enquiries are welcome from people in the UK and overseas.
The courses are:
- Fundamentals of Weather and Climate
- Statistics for Weather and Climate Science
- Tropical Meteorology
- Climate Services and Climate Impact Modelling
Competitive 80% scholarships are available for applicants from low to middle income countries.
Open online courses
These free, on-demand courses are delivered by FutureLearn and are open to anyone. No existing knowledge or experience of meteorology is needed.
- Come Rain or Shine: Understanding the Weather
Explore the physical processes driving UK weather systems and tackle practical activities and fieldwork, with Dr Sylvia Knight of the Royal Meteorological Society and Dr Pete Inness of the Department of Meteorology at the University of Reading.
- Planet Partners: Tackling the Climate Crisis Together
Investigate the impact of climate change, the research being done to tackle it, and discover what you can do to take meaningful action.
- Climate Intelligence: Using Climate Data to Improve Business Decision-Making
Build climate resilience in your business as you learn how climate intelligence helps make decisions that mitigate risks.
Short courses and summer schools
Short courses and summer schools are designed to train professionals, postgraduate and doctoral graduates as well as early career scientists. Leaders in their fields provide overviews and some of their latest research.
- The Data Assimilation Research Centre and the National Centre for Earth Observation (NCEO) provide short training courses on data assimilation and other specialised topics in Earth Observation.
- The National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS) Climate Modelling Summer School covers the inner workings of climate models, the latest climate modelling research and analysis of climate data. Suitable for advanced PhD students and early career researchers. This summer school will run in the future both online and face to face.
- The Walker Academy delivers immersive courses to students, NGOs, government agencies, academics and research partners. Rooted in the Walker Institute's first-hand experience of implementing interdisciplinary projects across the globe to support climate change adaptation and resilience, these courses develop practical skills and critical insights.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries and to receive updates.
Topical webinars from the Royal Meteorological Society and the University of Reading provide professional training and development for meteorologists and climate scientists.
Join experts presenting their latest research in this free interactive masterclass series.