What to expect next
The Cabinet Office will publish a summary and analysis of the responses to the Green Paper, probably sometime in May or June 2012.
- The White Paper stage of the proposals was bypassed by the Government. Instead they moved straight to laying the Justice and Security Bill 2012 before the House of Lords on 28 May 2012.
- The Bill receives its second reading in the House of Lords on 19 June 2012.
- In the meantime the Joint Committee on Human Rights continues its Inquiry into the Justice and Security Bill, having published its Report on the Green Paper on 27 March 2012.
- The JCHR is taking further written evidence on the Bill until 29 June 2012 as part of its legislative scrutiny role.
- The Bill will be scrutinised closely in the Committee stage in the House of Lords on 9 July 2012.
- One the Lords agree, the Bill will go to the Commons. It is not clear when this might be expected.
- For progress of the Bill, see the Bill Home Page on the parliamentary web site