University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Trade Union and Employee Health and Safety Representatives

Employers have a duty to consult with their employees, or their representatives, on health and safety matters.

For grades 1-5, your representatives of employee health and safety are:

Walter Dunaj - In post until 30.09.17


Call: 0118 378 7799 (Internal 7799)

Michelle Hargreaves In post until 30.09.19


Call: 0118 378 5299 (Internal 5299)

Dawn Turner In post until 30.09.19


Call: 0118 378 6013 (Internal 6013)

Appointments as employee Health and Safety Representatives are for three years.

Employee H&S representatives can:

  • take up concerns with you about potential hazards and dangerous events in the workplace that may affect the employees they represent
  • take up general matters affecting the health, safety and welfare of the employees they represent; and
  • represent employees when consulted by health and safety inspectors.

For grades 6 and above, your Trade Union Health and Safety Representative (UCU) is:

Dr. Fred Davis


Call: 0118 378 8455

The UCU representative can:

  • represent employees generally and when you consult them about specific matters that will affect the health, safety and welfare of the employees
  • represent employees when Health and Safety Inspectors from HSE or local authorities consult them
  • investigate accidents, near misses, and other potential hazards and dangerous occurrences in the workplace
  • investigate complaints made by an employee they represent about their health, safety or welfare in the workplace
  • present the findings of investigations to you;
  • inspect the workplace
  • request in writing that the university sets up a health and safety committee, with at least one other appointed representative
  • attend Health and Safety Committee meetings as a representative of employees.