Trade Union and Employee Health and Safety Representatives
Employers have a duty to consult with their employees, or their representatives, on health and safety matters.
For grades 1-5, your representatives of employee health and safety are:
Walter Dunaj - In post until 30.09.17
Call: 0118 378 7799 (Internal 7799)
Michelle Hargreaves In post until 30.09.19
Call: 0118 378 5299 (Internal 5299)
Dawn Turner In post until 30.09.19
Call: 0118 378 6013 (Internal 6013)Appointments as employee Health and Safety Representatives are for three years.
Employee H&S representatives can:
- take up concerns with you about potential hazards and dangerous events in the workplace that may affect the employees they represent
- take up general matters affecting the health, safety and welfare of the employees they represent; and
- represent employees when consulted by health and safety inspectors.
For grades 6 and above, your Trade Union Health and Safety Representative (UCU) is:
Dr. Fred Davis
Call: 0118 378 8455
The UCU representative can:
- represent employees generally and when you consult them about specific matters that will affect the health, safety and welfare of the employees
- represent employees when Health and Safety Inspectors from HSE or local authorities consult them
- investigate accidents, near misses, and other potential hazards and dangerous occurrences in the workplace
- investigate complaints made by an employee they represent about their health, safety or welfare in the workplace
- present the findings of investigations to you;
- inspect the workplace
- request in writing that the university sets up a health and safety committee, with at least one other appointed representative
- attend Health and Safety Committee meetings as a representative of employees.