University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Emergencies, incidents and first aid

Fire emergency

If you discover a fire, you must:

  • if safe to do so, close the door of the room
  • raise the alarm using the nearest fire alarm call point
  • phone the emergency services using the nearest telephone (0-999 on an internal University phone, or 999 on a mobile phone) OR
  • phone Security Services Emergency Control on Extn. 6300 (0118 378 6300 on a mobile)
  • evacuate the building using the nearest fire exit and report to the assembly point

Only attempt to put the fire out if it is safe to do so. If you call the emergency services on 0-999, you must inform Security Services Control of this so that Security can help to direct the emergency services.

On hearing a continuous alarm you must:

  • evacuate the building as quickly as possible, using the nearest safe exit. Lifts must not be used (unless they are clearly marked as suitable for the evacuation of disabled people; they should then only be used for the evacuation of disabled people)
  • ensure that staff/students/visitors who need assistance are escorted to a Refuge Area or out of the building
  • close all doors and windows in the area before leaving but not if this will endanger yourself
  • in workshop and laboratories, make the area safe if possible
  • report to the Fire Warden at your designated assembly point
  • do not re-enter the building or leave the assembly point until advised by the Emergency Services or Evacuation Officer that you can do so

If you are likely to need assistance to evacuate in the event of a fire or other emergency please make this known to your School/Department at the time that you join the University. You will be asked to contribute to a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) that will apply in your place of work/study.

First aid

Any member of staff or student who might encounter a student, staff member or member of the public who is physically unwell or has suffered an injury, either in a building or outside on our campus should do the following:

For serious injury:

Dial 999 (from an internal phone, add prefix 0 or 9 to obtain an external line) to arrange an ambulance, then call security on extension 6300 (0118 378 6300) to inform them.  Be prepared to give details of the nature of the accident/injury, the condition of the casualty and your exact location (including building name, floor, room number etc.  Be prepared to send other helpers to direct security/ambulance personnel to the location.

For less serious injuries:

Contact a first aider.  Every building on campus has designated first aiders during core business hours, so there is no need to direct anyone elsewhere on campus.

Contacting a first aider

Contact details of local first aiders, as well as locations of the nearest defibrillator and first aid kit, are listed on notices near building entrances.  Alternatively, call Security on extension 6300 (0118 378 6300) and ask for a first aider.  Stay with the casualty and give reassurance until assistance arrives.

You are advised to call NHS 111 if:

  • You are unsure and would like medical help, but it is not an emergency
  • You think you or someone else needs to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service
  • You don't know who to call for medical help or you don't have a GP to call
  • You require health information or reassurance about what to do next

Additional Information:

CoP 08 First Aid

Defibrillator Map

Bomb alert

Notification of a bomb alert may be by word-of-mouth. If you are instructed to leave the building:

  • collect bags and personal belongings
  • turn off equipment
  • leave the building
  • do not return until authorised to do so

NB: Please note that the prefix for an outside telephone line may be 9 rather than 0 in some buildings on campus.

Things to do now


Contact Health & Safety Services: