- GIS teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Programme Director for MSc Environmental Management and MSc Environmental Pollution
Areas of interest
- GIS and cartography
- Flooding, seasonal forecasting, natural flood management
- Landscape ecology and conservation
- Science communication
Jess is keen to discuss proposals for postgraduate research in the above areas.
Postgraduate (PhD) supervision:
- Landscape change and biodiversity (co-supervised with Biological Sciences).
Research centres and groupsEnvironmental Science Research Division
LANDWISE: LAND Management in lowland catchments for Integrated flood riSk rEduction, NERC Evaluating the Effectiveness of Natural Flood Management Programme. Led by Dr Jo Clark. 2018-2021
IIMPREX (EU Horizon 2020) - IMproving PRedictions and management of hydrological Extremes. Horizon 2020. Led by Prof. Hannah Cloke. 2015-2018
Jess has a BSc in Physical Geography, MSc in Wildlife Management and Conservation and a PhD in Landscape Ecology (University of Reading). Her postdocs looked at whether improved meteorological forecasts lead to more skilful flood forecasts in the Thames at seasonal timescales.
Previously she worked on valuing Natural Capital and Ecosystem Services in the Loddon (The Loddon Observatory).
Jess is a co-Director of the UK Chapter of the International Association for Landscape Ecology (ialeUK) and has been a member of the committee since 2012.
She has also worked as a GIS and ecology consultant on projects concerning landscape change and biodiversity in the UK, Liberia, Papua New Guinea, Seychelles and Afghanistan.
- O'Neill, D. ORCID: 0000-0002-6527-5334 , Häkkinen, H. ORCID: 0000-0003-1404-5798 , Neumann, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-3244-2578 , Shaffrey, L. , Cheffings, C. , Norris, K. , Pettorelli, N. ORCID: 0000-0002-1594-6208 (2023) Investigating the potential of social media and citizen science data to track changes in species' distributions. Ecology and Evolution , 13 (5). ISSN: 2045-7758 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ece3.10063
- Arnal, L. , Anspoks, L. , Manson, S. , Neumann, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-3244-2578 , Norton, T. , Stephens, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-5439-7563 , Wolfenden, L. , Cloke, H. ORCID: 0000-0002-1472-868X (2020) “Are we talking just a bit of water out of bank? Or is it Armageddon?” Front line perspectives on transitioning to probabilistic fluvial flood forecasts in England. Geoscience Communications , 3 pp. 203-232. ISSN: 2569-7110 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5194/gc-3-203-2020
- Young, C. , Bellamy, C. , Burton, V. , Griffiths, G. , Metzger, M. , Neumann, J. , Porter, J. , Millington, J. (2020) UK landscape ecology: trends and perspectives from the first 25 years of ialeUK. Landscape Ecology , 35 pp. 11-22. ISSN: 0921-2973 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10980-019-00945-1
- Foster, C. , Neumann, J. , Holloway, G. (2019) Linking mesoscale landscape heterogeneity and biodiversity: gardens and tree cover significantly modify flower-visiting beetle communities. Landscape Ecology , 34 (5). pp. 1081-1095. ISSN: 1572-9761 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10980-019-00822-x
- Neumann, J. , Arnal, L. , Emerton, R. , Griffith, H. , Hyslop, S. , Theofanidi, S. , Cloke, H. (2018) Can seasonal hydrological forecasts inform local decisions and actions? A decision-making activity. Geoscience Communications , 1 pp. 35-57. ISSN: 2569-7110 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5194/gc-1-35-2018
- Williams, B. , Mann, N. , Neumann, J. , Yarnell, R. , Baker, P. (2018) A prickly problem: developing a volunteer-friendly tool for monitoring populations of a terrestrial urban mammal, the West European hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus). Urban Ecosystems , 21 (6). pp. 1075-1086. ISSN: 1083-8155 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11252-018-0795-1
- Neumann, J. , Larose, C. , Brodin, G. , Feare, C. (2018) Foraging ranges of incubating sooty terns onychoprion fuscatus on Bird Island, Seychelles, during a transition from food plenty to scarcity, as revealed by GPS loggers. Marine Ornithology , 46 (1). pp. 11-18. ISSN: 2074-1235
- Neumann, J. , Arnal, L. , Magnusson, L. , Cloke, H. (2018) The 2013/14 Thames basin floods: do improved meteorological forecasts lead to more skilful hydrological forecasts at seasonal timescales?. Journal of Hydrometeorology , 19 pp. 1059-1075. ISSN: 1525-7541 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-17-0182.1
- Arnal, L. , Cloke, H. , Stephens, E. , Wetterhall, F. , Prudhomme, C. , Neumann, J. , Krzeminski, B. , Pappenberger, F. (2018) Skilful seasonal forecasts of streamflow over Europe?. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences , 22 (4). pp. 2057-2072. ISSN: 1027-5606 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-2057-2018
- Neumann, J. , Holloway, G. , Griffiths, G. (2017) The legacy of 20th Century landscape change on today’s woodland carabid communities. Diversity and Distributions , 23 (12). pp. 1447-1458. ISSN: 1472-4642 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ddi.12652
- Neumann, J. , Griffiths, G. , Foster, C. , Holloway, G. (2016) The heterogeneity of wooded-agricultural landscape mosaics influences woodland bird community assemblages. Landscape Ecology , 31 (8). pp. 1833-1848. ISSN: 0921-2973 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10980-016-0366-x
- Neumann, J. , Griffiths, G. , Hoodless, A. , Holloway, G. (2016) The compositional and configurational heterogeneity of matrix habitats shape woodland carabid communities in wooded-agricultural landscapes. Landscape Ecology , 31 (2). pp. 301-315. ISSN: 0921-2973 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10980-015-0244-y
- Neumann, J. , Holloway, G. , Sage, R. , Hoodless, A. (2015) Releasing of pheasants for shooting in the UK alters woodland invertebrate communities. Biological Conservation , 191 pp. 50-59. ISSN: 0006-3207 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2015.06.022
- Yarnell, R. , Pacheco, M. , Williams, B. , Neumann, J. , Rymer, D. , Baker, P. (2014) Using occupancy analysis to validate the use of footprint tunnels as a method for monitoring the hedgehog Erinaceus europaeus. Mammal Review , 44 (3-4). pp. 234-238. ISSN: 1365-2907 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mam.12026