- Series editor: Contexts in Literature, Arnold and OUP. 6 volumes, 2004-06.
- Series editor: Sourcebooks for Literature, Palgrave, 6 volumes, 2008-10.
- Member of editorial board: Historicizing Modernism, Bloomsbury Academic Press.
- Member of editorial board: Modernism and the Archive, Bloomsbury Academic Press.
Areas of interest
My primary research interests are in modernism and its aftermaths, and in modern and contemporary British, Irish, and American poetries. I also publish on Samuel Beckett, Thirties writing, and post-colonial poetry.
I have supervised to completion PhD students on topics including Samuel Beckett; contemporary American fiction; contemporary Irish poetry; Kafka and Babel; contemporary American womens' poetry; modernist poetries and poetics; H.D.; Mina Loy. My former PhD students are now employed at the various universities, including Leicester, Lancaster, Northampton and Teeside
Within the department, I teach courses on Modernism, Samuel Beckett (undergraduate and M.A.), American literature, and modern and contemporary British poetries.
- Samuel Beckett's 'Philosophy Notes', co-edited with Matthew Feldman, Oxford University Press, 2020.
- On Magnetism (poems) Two Rivers Press, 2017
- Ceaseless Music: Sounding Wordworth's The Prelude, Bloomsbury 2017
- T.S. Eliot and the Early Modern Literature, Oxford University Press (2013).
- Skying (poems), Waterloo Press, 2012.
- Modernism: A Sourcebook, Palgrave, 2008.
- Matthews, S. (2019) Marvell in the twentieth- and twenty-first centuries. In: Dzelzainis, M. and Holberton, E. , (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Andrew Marvell. Oxford University Press , Oxford. ISBN: 9780198736400
- Matthews, S. (2018) "Felt unities": Geoffrey Hill, T.S. Eliot, and David Jones. Literary Imagination , 20 (2). pp. 140-156. ISSN: 1752-6566 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/litimag/imy031
- Matthews, S. (2017) On magnetism. Two Rivers Press , Reading, UK. pp 96. ISBN: 9781909747326
- Matthews, S. (2017) Meditations and monologues: Beckett’s mid-late prose on the radio. In: Addyman, D. , Feldman, M. , Tonning, E. , (eds.) Samuel Beckett and BBC Radio. Palgrave , Basingstoke and London. pp. 249-267. ISBN: 9781349951307 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1057/978-1-137-54265-6_12
- Matthews, S. (2017) Ceaseless music: sounding Wordsworth’s "The Prelude". Beyond Criticism Bloomsbury , London, UK. pp 208. ISBN: 9781474232784
- Matthews, S. (2016) Finding consonance in the disparities: Geoffrey Hill, John Milton, and modernist poetics. Modern Language Review , 111 (3). pp. 665-683. ISSN: 0026-7937 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5699/modelangrevi.111.3.0665
- Matthews, S. (2015) Geoffrey Hill’s complex affinities with American agrarian poetry. The Cambridge Quarterly , 44 (4). pp. 321-340. ISSN: 1471-6836 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/camqtly/bfv026
- Matthews, S. (2014) T.S. Eliot on the radio: 'The drama is all in the word'. In: Feldman, M. , Tonning, E. , Mead, H. , (eds.) Broadcasting in the Modernist Era. Historicizing Modernism Bloomsbury , London. pp. 97-112. ISBN: 9781472512482
- Matthews, S. (2013) T.S. Eliot and early modern literature. Oxford University Press , Oxford . pp 240. ISBN: 9780199574773
- Matthews, S. (2013) "You can see some eagles. And hear the trumpets": the literary and political hinterland of T.S. Eliot's 'Coriolan' . Journal of Modern Literature , 36 (2). pp. 44-60. ISSN: 1529-1464
- Matthews, S. (2012) The books are in the study as before: Samuel Beckett’s Berkeley.. In: Feldman, M. and Mamdani, K. , (eds.) Beckett / Philosophy. Sophia University Press , Sophia. pp. 162-83. ISBN: 9789540733845
- Matthews, S. (2011) The books are in the study as before: Samuel Beckett’s Berkeley. Sofia Philosophical Review , V (I). ISSN: 1313-275X