- 2019 JISC CAN Annual Conference, paper: 'The Evolving Landscape of Staff-Student Partnership'
- 2018 JISC CAN Annual Conference, paper: 'Why, and how, I let my students take control'
- 2017 Higher Education Academy Annual Conference, paper: 'The pedagogical benefits of preparing our students for the professional world'
- 2017 JISC Change Agents Network Annual conference, Exeter, paper: 'How, and why, I let my students take control'.
- 2017 TSEP (Student Engagement Partnership) conference, London, workshop: 'Student engagement in curriculum design'.
- 2016 RAISE (Researching, Advancing and Inspiring Student Engagement) conference in Loughborough, paper: 'Engaging students in assessment criteria and learning outcomes'.
- 2016 UKAT (United Kingdom Advising and Tutoring) conference, Southampton, paper: 'The strategic and relational differences between a personal tutor and placement mentoring'.
I am the Director of the Arts and Humanities Foundation Year and I also teach in the Department of English Literature.
Areas of interest
I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and have been awarded a University of Reading Teaching Fellowship.
I am an enthusiastic member of several University Communities of Practice: University Teaching Fellows, Technology Enhanced Learning, and Student Engagement Champions. I am also a member of Senate.
I am convenor of Foundation Persuasive Writing, Part 2 Shakespeare and Part 3 Shakespeare on Film.
Awards and honours
- 2017: RUSU Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning Award nominee
- 2017: University nominee for Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellowship
- 2016: Collaborative Award for Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning, University of Reading
- 2015: University nominee for Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellowship
- 2013: Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2013: THE Teaching Innovator of the Year award university nominee
- 2010-2015: RUSU Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning award nominee on three occasions
- 2009: Reading University Teaching Fellowship
- 2009: Centre for Career Management Skills Fellowship
- 2007: Individual award for Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning Award, University of Reading
- 2007: Centre for Career Management Skills Fellowship
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Member of The International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning.
- Member of the Society for Education and Training.
- Member of the Society for Research into Higher Education.
- Write a Brilliant CV
- Give Great Presentations
- Seven Steps to a Successful Career
- Writing Successful Reports and Dissertations
- 14 Days to Exam Success
- Teaching in Higher Education
- Becker, L. (2022) Creating an accidental sense of belonging in a foundation flock. The Journal of the Foundation Year Network , 4 pp. 25-32.
- Becker, C. ORCID: 0000-0002-7629-3757 , Becker, F. , Becker, A. (2022) Acing Online Assessment. Student Success SAGE Publications , London. pp 200. ISBN: 9781529771893
- Becker, L. ORCID: 0000-0002-7629-3757 (2021) How my failure to read a play helped my students develop their learning. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education (22). ISSN: 1759-667X
- Becker, L. ORCID: 0000-0002-7629-3757 (2021) Presenting research ideas in a seminar setting. In: Morrison, K. , (eds.) Making the grade: re-imagining the graduate seminar essay in literary studies. Rowman and Littlefield , Lanham, MD. pp. 121-136. ISBN: 9781475856378
- Becker, L. (2019) Give Great Presentations. Super Quick Skills SAGE , London, UK. pp 124. ISBN: 152970118X
- Becker, L. (2019) Study your way to your perfect career. Student Success SAGE pp 280. ISBN: 9781526435019
- Becker, L. (2019) Students as partners in academic placements. International Journal for Students as Partners , 3 (2). pp. 149-155. ISSN: 2560-7367 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.15173/ijsap.v3i2.3377
- Becker, L. (2019) Student screencasts within a learning partnership. Student Engagement in Higher Education Journal , 2 (2). pp. 133-140. ISSN: 2399-1836
- Becker, L. (2019) Serendipity and the impact of tiny innovations. Journal for Research and Practice in College Teaching , 3 (2). pp. 39-43.
- Becker, L. (2018) 14 days to exam success. 2nd edition. Pocket Study Skills Palgrave , Basingstoke, Hampshire. pp 126. ISBN: 9781352003710
- Becker, L. , Collier, J. , Setter, J. (2018) Students as change partners in the School of Literature and Languages at the University of Reading. The Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change , 4 (1). ISSN: 2055-4990 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.21100/jeipc.v4i1.712
- van Emden, J. and Becker, L. (2017) Writing for engineers. Palgrave , London. pp 154. ISBN: 9781352000474
- Becker, L. (2017) Searcher in the dawn. Endeavour Press pp 213. ISBN: 9781549932267
- Becker, L. (2017) Creating a learning community on seasteads. In: Tiberius, V. , (eds.) Seasteads: opportunities and challenges for small new societies. vdf Hochschulverlag , Zurich. pp. 221-230. ISBN: 9783728138217
- Becker, L. (2014) Writing successful reports and dissertations. SAGE study skills series SAGE , Los Angeles. pp 208. ISBN: 9781446298275
- Becker, L. (2014) Mastering Q & A sessions. In: Daly, I. and Haney, A. , (eds.) 53 Interesting Ways to Communicate your Research. The Professional and Higher Partnership , Suffolk. pp. 111-112. ISBN: 9781907076633
- Becker, L. , Denicolo, P. , Reeves, P. (2014) Success in research kit. SAGE , London. ISBN: 9781473906808
- Becker, L. (2014) Presenting your research. Success in Research SAGE , London. pp 160. ISBN: 9781446275894
- Becker, L. and Denicolo, P. (2012) Teaching in higher education.. Success in Research SAGE , London. pp 176. ISBN: 9781446256046
- Becker, L. and Denicolo, P. (2012) Developing research proposals. Success in Research SAGE , London. pp 160. ISBN: 9780857028655
- Becker, L. and Denicolo, P. , eds. (2012) Publishing journal articles. Success in Research SAGE , London. pp 160. ISBN: 9781446200629
- Becker, L. (2008) Managing the research process and the supervisory relationship. In: Hall, G. and Longman, J. , (eds.) The Postgraduate's Companion. Sage , London. pp. 144 -162. ISBN: 9781412930253
- Becker, L. (2008) The supervision process and the nature of the research degree. In: Hall, G. and Longman, J. , (eds.) The Postgraduate's Companion. Sage , London. pp. 123-143. ISBN: 9781412930253
- Becker, L. (2007) Engaging with the present, believing in the future: why our students' career planning should matter to us . English Subject Centre Newsletter , 12 pp. 14-16. ISSN: 1479-7089
- Becker, L. (2004) How to manage your postgraduate course. Palgrave , Basingstoke. pp 200. ISBN: 9781403916563
- Becker, L. (2004) How to manage your distance and open learning course. Palgrave Study Skills Palgrave , Basingstoke. pp 224. ISBN: 9781403921529
- Becker, L. (2003) Death and the early modern Englishwoman. Ashgate pp 236. ISBN: 9780754633495
- Becker, L. and van Emden, J. (2003) Effective communication for arts and humanities students. Palgrave Study Skills Palgrave Macmillan , Basingstoke. pp 224. ISBN: 9780333984871
- Becker, L. and Price, D. (2003) How to manage your science and technology degree. Palgrave Study Skills Palgrave Macmillan , Basingstoke. pp 184. ISBN: 9781403906403
- Becker, L. (2002) How to manage your arts, humanities and social sciences degree. Palgrave Study Skills Palgrave Macmillan , Basingstoke. pp 192. ISBN: 9781403900548
- Becker, L. (2001) The absent body: representations of dying early modern women in a selection of seventeenth-century diaries. Women's Writing , 8 (2). pp. 251-262. ISSN: 1747-5848 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09699080100200132