Dr Tony Capstick
Director of MA Programmes in TESOL and Applied Linguistics
Departmental Director of Teaching and Learning (postgraduate)
Areas of interest
Tony's main areas of interest are teacher education, multilingualism and migration. He carries out research in formal classrooms as well as informal out-of-school contexts in order to explore the role of home language use in institutional settings, with a particular focus on literacy and power. He draws on sociolinguistics and discourse analysis but as an ethnographer he is most at home working in diverse settings tracing the educational trajectories of learners and finding pedagogic solutions to the challenges faced by teachers.
Tony also researches the role of English in mainstream schooling in developing country contexts by exploring the micro-contexts of peer interaction in classrooms as well as the language policy context. His most recent project funded by the British Council sought to understand the language in education needs of Syrian refugees in the Middle East. He has also written about the language and education needs of adult migrants living in the UK as part of his work investigating immigration and integration
Postgraduate supervisionTony is happy to supervise PhD students interested in socio-cultural approaches to classroom interaction and related pedagogy as well as topics related to multilingualism, migration, literacy and TESOL.
Tony teaches the following modules:
- LS1GL: Globalisation and Language
- LS3LMG: Language and Migration
- LS2LDP: Literacy, Discourse and Power
- LSMLMG: Language and Migration.
Research centres and groups
- Applied Linguistics Research Group
- Languages and Linguistics Research Division
- Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism.
- Capstick, T. (2021) Mediating discourses of displacement in the literacy practices of refugees and humanitarian actors in Jordan, Kurdistan region of Iraq, Lebanon and Turkey. Journal of immigrant and refugee studies ISSN: 1556-2948 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15562948.2021.1931620
- Capstick, T. and Ateek, M. (2021) Translanguaging spaces as safe spaces for psycho-social support in refugee settings in the Kurdistan region of Iraq. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development ISSN: 1747-7557 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01434632.2021.1899192
- Capstick, T. and Ateek, M. (2021) Translanguaging spaces as safe space for psycho-social support in refugee settings in the Kurdistan region of Iraq. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development pp. 1-16. ISSN: 1747-7557 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01434632.2021.1899192
- Capstick, T. (2020) Resisting discriminatory immigration procedures and practices in the UK and Pakistan: a discourse-ethnographic approach to exploring migration literacies. Sociolinguistic perspectives on migration control: language policy, identity and belonging. Language, mobility and institutions Multilingual Matters , Bristol, UK. pp. 41-63. ISBN: 9781788924689 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21832/9781788924689-004
- Capstick, T. (2020) Language learning as psycho-social support: translanguaging space as safe space in superdiverse refugee settings. Applied Linguistics Review , 11 (4). pp. 701-726. ISSN: 1868-6311 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/applirev-2018-0036
- Capstick, T. (2020) Transnational literacies as social remittances: the role of language ideologies in shaping migrants' online literacies. Applied Linguistics , 41 (2). pp. 301-319. ISSN: 1477-450X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/applin/amz009
- Capstick, T. (2019) Literacy, power and practices: taking a discourse-ethnographic approach to exploring adult literacy practices in Pakistan and the UK. International Journal of Lifelong Education , 38 (4). pp. 433-448. ISSN: 1464-519X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02601370.2019.1636891
- Capstick, T. (2018) Language for resilience: cross-disciplinary perspectives on the role of language in enhancing the resilience of refugees and host communities. In: Capstick, T. , (eds.) British Council
- Capstick, A. (2018) Migration and belonging in the home literacies of Mirpuri families. In: Bahun, S. and Petric, B. , (eds.) Thinking home: interdisciplinary dialogues. Bloomsbury , London. ISBN: 9781350062375
- Capstick, T. (2018) Key concepts in ELT: resilience. English Language Teaching Journal , 72 (2). pp. 210-213. ISSN: 1477-4526 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/elt/ccx068
- Capstick, T. and Delaney, M. (2016) Language for resilience: the role of language in enhancing the resilience of Syrian refugees and host communities. British Council
- Capstick, T. (2016) Multilingual literacies, identities and ideologies: exploring chain migration from Pakistan to the UK. Palgrave Macmillan ISBN: 9781137569776
- Capstick, T. (2016) Literacy mediation in marriage migration from Pakistan to the United Kingdom: appropriating bureaucratic discourses to get a visa. Discourse and Society , 27 (5). pp. 481-499. ISSN: 0957-9265 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0957926516651220