Professor Parvaneh Tavakoli
- Director of, and Admissions Tutor for, the PhD Programmes in Applied Linguistics
- Member of the Department Research Ethics Committee
Areas of interestParvaneh's main research interest is in the interface of second language acquisition, second language teaching, and language testing. Drawing on a task-based language teaching (TBLT) approach, she has investigated the role of task and task design in language teaching and their impact on second language performance, acquisition, assessment and the cognitive processes associated with second language development.
Her research also focuses on the measurement and development of speech fluency in language learning, and its relationship with other aspects of linguistic performance. Parvaneh has attracted several prestigious research grants and led a number of national and international research projects.
Parvaneh is currently supervising PhD students in the following topics:
- Development of L2 writing skills among young learners in a Dutch context
- Use of discourse markers and second language proficiency
- The relationship between L1 and L2 fluency and lexical complexity
- Monitoring processes and repair strategies in a second language
- Identifying atypical speech development among bilingual English-Persian children
- Effects of practice on implicit and explicit language knowledge
- Factors affecting development of L2 fluency.
Parvaneh teaches the following modules:
- LSMSL/DSL: Second Language Learning Principles
- LDMDIP: Language Teaching Portfolio
- LSMLT: Language Testing Principles
- LSMAP: Academic Practice (in Applied Linguistics)
- LSMPRO: Full Dissertation Proposal.
Research centres and groups
- Member of the Steering Committee at the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism
- Founding Member of London Second Language Acquisition Research Forum (L-SLARF).
Research projectsParvaneh's most recent research projects include:
- Towards a model of multi-dimensional performance in the Aptis Speaking Test: 2018-19 (funded by The British Council's Assessment Research Grants)
- Scoring validity of the TEEP Speaking test: 2018-19 (funded by International Study and Language Institute)
- Language Certification as a tool for employability in Mexico: 2017-19 (funded by The Higher Education Links Scheme, British Council)
- Scoring validity of the Aptis Speaking test: Investigating fluency across tasks and levels of proficiency: 2015-16 (funded by The British Council's Assessment Research Grants)
- An overview of approaches to second language acquisition and instructional practices: 2017-18 (funded by The Welsh Government).
- PhD Applied Linguistics (King's College London)
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy (SFHEA),
- PG Cert in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education (London Metropolitan University)
- MA TEFL (Iran University of Science & Technology)
- CELTA (West London College)
- BA English Translation (Tehran Azad University).
- Tavakoli, P. (2020) Making fluency research accessible to second language teachers: the impact of a training intervention. Language Teaching Research ISSN: 1477-0954 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1362168820951213
- Tavakoli, P. and Uchihara, T. (2020) To what extent are multiword sequences associated with oral fluency?. Language Learning , 70 (2). pp. 506-547. ISSN: 0023-8333 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/lang.12384
- Komeili, M. , Marinis, T. , Tavakoli, P. , Kazemi, Y. (2020) Sentence repetition in Farsi-English bilingual children. Journal of the European Second Language Association , 4 (1). pp. 1-12. ISSN: 2399-9101 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.22599/jesla.55
- Duran-Karaoz, Z. and Tavakoli, P. (2020) Predicting L2 fluency from L1 fluency behaviour: the case of L1 Turkish and L2 English speakers. Studies in Second Language Acquisition ISSN: 1470-1545 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0272263119000755
- Tavakoli, P. , Nakatsuhara, F. , Hunter, A. (2020) Aspects of fluency across assessed levels of speaking proficiency. Modern Language Journal , 104 (1). pp. 169-191. ISSN: 1540-4781 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/modl.12620
- Tavakoli, P. and Wright, C. , eds. (2019) Second language speech fluency: from research to practice. Cambridge University Press pp 180.
- Awwad, A. and Tavakoli, P. (2019) Task complexity, language proficiency and working memory: Interaction effects on second language speech performance. International Review of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching ISSN: 1613-4141 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/iral-2018-0378
- Tavakoli, P. (2019) Automaticity, fluency and second language task performance. Researching L2 Task Performance and Pedagogy. John Benjamins , Amsterdam. pp. 39-52. ISBN: 9789027203304 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/tblt.13.03tav
- Nakatsuhara, F. , Tavakoli, P. , Awwad, A. (2019) Towards a Model of Multi-dimensional Performance of C1 Level Speakers Assessed in the Aptis Speaking Test. British Council ISSN: 2398-7979
- Hasrati, M. and Tavakoli, P. (2019) The rise of non-dissertation track master’s programmes: an academic literacies approach. Innovations in Education and Teaching International , 56 (5). pp. 639-651. ISSN: 1470-3297 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14703297.2019.1570304
- Faez, F. and Tavakoli, P. , eds. (2018) Task Based Language Teaching. In: Farrell, T. (eds.) English Language Teaching Development Series TESOL International Association , Alexandria, VA, USA. pp 50.
- Tavakoli, P. and Hunter, A. (2018) Is fluency being ‘neglected’ in the classroom? Teacher understanding of fluency and related classroom practices. Language Teaching Research , 22 (3). pp. 330-349. ISSN: 1477-0954 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1362168817708462
- Tavakoli, P. (2018) L2 development in an intensive Study Abroad EAP context. System , 72 pp. 62-74. ISSN: 0346-251X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2017.10.009
- Tavakoli, P. and Jones, R. (2018) An overview of approaches to second language acquisition and instructional practices. Welsh Government (Research & Statistics) , Cardiff, Wales. ISBN: 9781789034882
- Tavakoli, P. and Hasrati, M. (2018) MA TESOL dissertations in a changing global landscape: a case from Iran. Iranian Journal of Language Teaching Research , 6 (1). pp. 109-128. ISSN: 2322-1291
- Awwad, A. , Tavakoli, P. , Wright, C. (2017) “I think that’s what he’s doing”: effects of intentional reasoning on second language (L2) speech performance. System , 67 pp. 158-169. ISSN: 0346-251X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2017.05.002
- Tavakoli, P. , Nakatsuhara, F. , Hunter, A. (2017) Scoring validity of the Aptis Speaking test: investigating fluency across tasks and levels of proficiency. ARAGs Research Reports Online ISSN: 2057-5203
- Tavakoli, P. , Campbell, C. , McCormack, J. (2016) Development of speech fluency over a short period of time: effects of pedagogic intervention. TESOL Quarterly , 50 (2). pp. 447-471. ISSN: 1545-7249 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tesq.244
- Tavakoli, P. (2016) Fluency in monologic and dialogic task performance: challenges in defining and measuring L2 fluency. International Review of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching , 54 (2). pp. 133-150. ISSN: 1613-4141 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/iral-2016-9994
- Wright, C. and Tavakoli, P. (2016) New directions and developments in defining, analyzing and measuring L2 speech fluency. International Review of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching , 54 (2). pp. 73-78. ISSN: 1613-4141 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/iral-2016-9990
- Hasrati, M. and Tavakoli, P. (2015) Globalisation and MA TESOL programs in the UK. Higher Education , 69 (4). pp. 547-565. ISSN: 0018-1560 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10734-014-9790-5
- Tavakoli, P. (2015) Connecting research and practice in TESOL: a community of practice perspective. RELC , 46 (1). pp. 37-52. ISSN: 1745-526X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0033688215572005
- Tavakoli, P. and Hasrati, M. (2015) MA TEFL programmes in Iran: change in a globalised era. English language teaching in the Islamic Republic of Iran: Innovations, trends and challenges. The British Council , London. pp. 139-150. ISBN: 9780863557699
- Tavakoli, P. (2014) Storyline complexity and syntactic complexity in writing and speaking tasks. Task based language learning: insights from and for L2 writing. John Benjamins , Amsterdam. pp. 217-236. ISBN: 9789027207296
- Tavakoli, P. and Howard, M. (2012) Teaching English to speakers of other languages teachers’ views on the relationship between research and practice. European Journal of Teacher Education , 35 (2). pp. 229-242. ISSN: 0261-9768 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02619768.2011.643398
- Tavakoli, P. (2012) Planning time. The Routledge Encylopeadia of Second Language Acquisition. Routledge ISBN: 9780415877510
- Eckerth, J. and Tavakoli, P. (2012) The effects of word exposure frequency and elaboration of word processing on incidental L2 vocabulary acquisition through reading. Language Teaching Research , 16 (2). pp. 227-252. ISSN: 1477-0954 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1362168811431377
- Tavakoli, P. and Foster, P. (2011) Task design and second language performance: the effect of narrative type on learner output. Language Learning , 61 (S1). pp. 37-72. ISSN: 0023-8333 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9922.2011.00642.x
- Tavakoli, P. (2011) Pausing patterns: differences between L2 learners and native speakers. ELT Journal , 65 (1). pp. 71-79. ISSN: 1477-4526 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/elt/ccq020
- Tavakoli, P. (2009) Assessing L2 task performance: understanding effects of task design. System , 37 (3). pp. 482-495. ISSN: 0346-251X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2009.02.013
- Tavakoli, P. (2009) Investigating task difficulty: learners’ and teachers’ perceptions. International Journal of Applied Linguistics , 19 (1). pp. 1-25. ISSN: 1473-4192 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1473-4192.2009.00216.x
- Foster, P. and Tavakoli, P. (2009) Native speakers and task performance: comparing effects on complexity, fluency, and lexical diversity. Language Learning , 59 (4). pp. 866-896. ISSN: 0023-8333 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9922.2009.00528.x
- Tavakoli, P. (2009) Researching task difficulty: towards understanding L2 proficiency. Issues in Second Language Proficiency. Continuum ISBN: 9780826435156
- Tavakoli, P. and Foster, P. (2008) Task design and second language performance: the effect of narrative type on learner output. Language Learning , 58 (2). pp. 439-473. ISSN: 0023-8333 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9922.2008.00446.x
- Tavakoli, P. (2008) L2 performance and context of language learning: a comparative study of learners in Tehran and London . Teaching English Language & Literature Society of Iran , 2 (5). pp. 103-131. ISSN: 1735-8760