- Module Convenor for EC115 and EC110
- Director of Postgraduate Research Studies (Admissions)
Areas of interestDevelopment economics, environmental economics, applied microeconomics and policy impact evaluation.
My research interests are in development economics, environmental economics, applied microeconomics and policy impact evaluation. In particular, I have studied how deforestation interacts with ethnic diversity and institutional quality, how tenure insecurity, climate shocks and crop choices affect rural household welfare and how environmental policies impact on firm location, international trade and firm performance.
Postgraduate supervisionI am interested in supervising PhD students on issues that lie at the intersection between environmental and development economics including for example:
- Empirical analyses of environmental policies (e.g. decentralisation of environmental regulation, governance, political economy)
- Short and long-term effects of pollution on development outcomes
- Deforestation and land use management
- Agriculture and climate change
BackgroundI joined the Department of Economics at the University of Reading in September 2016.
Before joining the University of Reading I was a post-doctoral researcher for four years at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at the London School of Economics.
Academic qualificationsPhD University of Sussex, PhD University of Verona
- Visiting Fellow at the Centre for Globalisation Research (Queen Mary)
- Senior Research Associate of LSE Consulting
- Rampa, A. and Lovo, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6231-4142 (2023) Revisiting the effects of the Ethiopian land tenure reform using satellite data. A focus on agricultural productivity, climate change mitigation and adaptation. World Development , 171 ISSN: 1873-5991 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2023.106364
- Bastos, P. , Lovo, S. , Varela, G. , Hagemejer, J. (2023) Economic integration, industrial structure, and catch-up growth: firm-level evidence from Poland. Review of International Economics , 31 (1). pp. 106-140. ISSN: 1467-9396 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/roie.12613
- Lovo, S. and Varela, G. (2022) Internationally linked firms and productivity in Pakistan: a look at the top end of the distribution. Journal of Development Studies , 58 (10). pp. 2110-2131. ISSN: 1743-9140 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00220388.2022.2096442
- He, P. , Lovo, S. , Veronesi, M. (2022) Social networks and renewable energy technology adoption: empirical evidence from biogas adoption in China. Energy Economics , 106 ISSN: 0140-9883 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2021.105789
- Lovo, S. and Veronesi, M. (2019) Crop diversification and child health: empirical evidence from Tanzania. Ecological Economics , 158 pp. 168-179. ISSN: 0921-8009 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2019.01.005
- Alesina, A. , Gennaioli, C. , Lovo, S. (2019) Public goods and ethnic diversity: evidence from deforestation in Indonesia. Economica , 86 (341). pp. 32-66. ISSN: 1468-0335 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ecca.12285
- Kattumuri, R. and Lovo, S. (2018) Decentralization of environmental regulation in India. Economic and Political Weekly , 53 (43). pp. 33-38. ISSN: 2349-8846
- Sato, M. , Singer, G. , Dussaux, D. , Lovo, S. (2018) International and sectoral variation in industrial energy prices 1995-2015. Energy Economics , 78 pp. 235-258. ISSN: 0140-9883 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2018.11.008
- Lovo, S. (2018) The effect of environmental decentralization on polluting firms in India. Economic Development and Cultural Change , 67 (1). pp. 55-94. ISSN: 1539-2988 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1086/697558
- Bezabih, M. , Lovo, S. , Singer, G. , McLaren, C. (2016) Climate-resilient development in agrarian economies. In: Fankhauser, S. and McDermott, T. , (eds.) The Economics of Climate-Resilient Development. Edward Elgar publishing ISBN: 9781785360305 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4337/9781785360312
- Lovo, S. (2016) Tenure insecurity and investment in soil conservation: evidence from Malawi. World Development , 78 pp. 219-229. ISSN: 0305-750X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2015.10.023
- Lovo, S. (2014) Potential migration and subjective well-being in Europe. IZA Journal of Migration , 3 (1). ISSN: 2193-9039 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40176-014-0024-5
- Lovo, S. (2014) Analysing the welfare-improving potential of land in the former homelands of South Africa. Agricultural Economics , 45 (6). pp. 679-692. ISSN: 0169-5150 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/agec.12115
- Lovo, S. (2012) Market imperfections, liquidity, and farm household labor allocation: the case of rural South Africa. Agricultural Economics , 43 (4). pp. 417-428. ISSN: 01695150 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-0862.2012.00593.x
- Lovo, S. (2011) Pension Transfers and farm household technical efficiency: evidence from South Africa. American Journal of Agricultural Economics , 93 (5). pp. 1391-1405. ISSN: 0002-9092 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ajae/aar051