Diversity and Inclusion Lead, Department of Economics
Module convenor: EC319, EC238
Areas of interest
Applied microeconomics, with a focus on economics of the household, gender, IPV, and health and human capital attainment.
I am interested in supervising microeconomic research on economics of the household, gender, female empowerment, IPV, child health, human capital attainment or wider topics in applied development microeconomics.
I have been at the University of Reading since 2011, having previously completed my undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD studies at the University of Bristol. My PhD focused on determinants and consequences of poor child health in low income countries.
My current research focuses on:
- Domestic violence - causes and consequences
- Maternal education, female labour supply, fertility, and child human capital and health
- Environmental shocks and health/human capital
Academic qualificationsBsc, Msc, PhD, University of Bristol
- Bhalotra, S. , Kambhampati, U. , Rawlings, S. , Siddique, Z. (2021) Intimate partner violence: the influence of job opportunities for men and women. The World Bank Economic Review , 35 (2). pp. 461-479. ISSN: 0258-6770 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/wber/lhz030
- Rawlings, S. and Siddique, Z. (2020) Domestic violence and child mortality in the developing world. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics , 82 (4). pp. 723-750. ISSN: 1468-0084 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/obes.12357
- Pieters, J. and Rawlings, S. (2020) Parental unemployment and child health in China. Review of Economics of the Household , 18 (1). pp. 207-237. ISSN: 1573-7152 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11150-019-09457-y
- Rawlings, S. (2016) Gender, race, and heterogeneous effects of epidemic malaria on human capital and income. Economic Development and Cultural Change , 64 (3). pp. 509-543. ISSN: 1539-2988 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1086/684965
- Bhalotra, S. and Rawlings, S. (2013) Gradients of the intergenerational transmission of health in developing countries. Review of Economics and Statistics , 95 (2). pp. 660-672. ISSN: 1530-9142 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1162/REST_a_00263
- Bhalotra, S. and Rawlings, S. (2011) Intergenerational persistence in health in developing countries : the penalty of gender inequality?. Journal of Public Economics , 95 (3-4). pp. 286-299. ISSN: 0047-2727 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpubeco.2010.10.016