Areas of interestMy main research interests lie in information processes and decision making, the theory of the firm, international business, and entrepreneurship.
Postgraduate supervisionI am currently interested in supervising microeconomic research on international business and entrepreneurship.
I did my PhD at Reading while working as a 'computing officer' in the Department, which involved doing computer programming to help staff with their research. I had gained the role having followed up an undergraduate degree in Economics with a Master's in Computer Science.
I had learned about theories of the firm as an undergraduate in Bristol and my Master's had given me insights into how costs involved in handling information affect decision making. I felt that there were significant opportunities to explore how 'information costs' affect business decision making and issues such as the boundaries of the firm.
A while after completing my PhD, I spent a few years in the IT industry during the time of the dot-com boom, working in entrepreneurial firms. I then came back to the Department at Reading as a lecturer. As it happened, Mark Casson had won a large research grant, and there was need for me to take over his master's teaching.
This required me to undertake intensive study of the economics of small firms and entrepreneurship.
This expertise subsequently led me to undertake research in the economics of entrepreneurship and to my roles as one of the editors and as a contributor to the Oxford Handbook of Entrepreneurship.
Apart from a general research interest in business economics, I also eventually developed an interest in the Economics of International Business, something for which Reading has a very strong reputation. I find this to be an interesting and evolving field, and one in which economists can make a valuable contribution alongside those from other disciplines.
- PhD Reading
- MSc Kent
- BSc Bristol
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (2018) Emerging market multinationals and internalisation theory. International Business Review , 27 (6). pp. 1150-1160. ISSN: 0969-5931 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2018.04.006
- Wadeson, N. (2017) Profit maximising rigid prices and vertical integration. International Journal of the Economics of Business , 24 (1). pp. 53-72. ISSN: 1466-1829 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13571516.2016.1199457
- Boonchoo, P. , Wadeson, N. , Tsang, D. (2013) The relationship between entrepreneurial marketing and the characteristics of Thai hotels and their managers. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship , 15 (1). pp. 61-78. ISSN: 1471-5201 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JRME-08-2012-0023
- Wadeson, N. (2013) Discovery theory of entrepreneurship. Encyclopedia of Management Theory. Sage , London. ISBN: 9781412997829
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (2013) The economic theory of international supply chains: a systems view. International Journal of the Economics of Business , 20 (2). pp. 163-186. ISSN: 1466-1829 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13571516.2013.783514
- Wadeson, N. (2013) The division of labour under uncertainty. Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics , 169 (2). pp. 253-274. ISSN: 0932-4569 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1628/093245613X13620416111326
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (2012) Internationalisation theory. In: Dietrich, M. and Krafft, J. , (eds.) Handbook on the Economics and Theory of the Firm. Elgar original reference Edward Elgar Publishing , Cheltenham. ISBN: 9781848446489
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (2012) The economic theory of international business: a supply chain perspective. Multinational Business Review , 20 (2). pp. 114-134. ISSN: 1525-383X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/15253831211238203
- Crampton, G. , Francis-Brophy, E. , Meen, G. , Nygaard, C. , Pain, K. , Wadeson, N. (2010) The Reading Diamond Local Economic Assessment. University of Reading/Reading Diamond Forum , Reading. pp 105.
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (2010) Export performance and reputation. In: da Silva, L. and Duguid, P. , (eds.) Trade marks, brands and competitiveness. Routledge , London. pp. 31-54. ISBN: 9780415776936
- Wadeson, N. (2010) Directed search with real options. Economics of Innovation and New Technology , 19 (6). pp. 569-582. ISSN: 1476-8364 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10438599.2010.486527
- Wadeson, N. (2008) Entrepreneurial Strategy: Sequential Investment and Information Gathering . In: Terziovski, M. , (eds.) Energising management through innovation and entrepreneurship: European research and practice. Routledge studies in innovation, organizations and technology Routledge pp. 28-39. ISBN: 9780415439299
- Casson, M. , Burke, S. , Pavelin, S. , Pemberton, J. , Porter, L. , Wadeson, N. (2007) Evaluation of the trade development strategies of UKTI Sectors Group: Stage 2. UK Trade & Investment pp 340.
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (2007) Entrepreneurship and macroeconomic performance. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal , 1 (3-4). pp. 239-262. ISSN: 1932-4391 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/sej.35
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (2007) The search for entrepreneurial opportunity. History of Economic Ideas , 15 (1). pp. 137-158. ISSN: 1724-2164
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (2007) The discovery of opportunities: extending the economic theory of the entrepreneur. Small Business Economics , 28 (4). pp. 285-300. ISSN: 1573-0913 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11187-006-9037-7
- Wadeson, N. (2006) Cognitive aspects of entrepreneurship: decision-making and attitudes to risk. In: Casson, M. , Yeung, B. , Basu, A. , Wadeson, N. , (eds.) The Oxford handbook of entrepreneurship. Oxford handbooks in business and management OUP ISBN: 9780199288984 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199546992.003.0004
- Casson, M. , Yeung, B. , Basu, A. , Wadeson, N. , eds. (2006) The Oxford handbook of entrepreneurship. OUP , Oxford. pp 808. ISBN: 9780199288984
- Wadeson, N. (2004) Multi-dimensional search: choosing the right path. International Journal of the Economics of Business , 11 (3). pp. 287-301. ISSN: 1466-1829
- Wadeson, N. (1999) Two-way communication costs and the boundaries of the firm. International Journal of the Economics of Business , 6 (3). pp. 301-329. ISSN: 1466-1829
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (1998) Communication costs and the boundaries of the firm. International Journal of the Economics of Business , 5 (1). pp. 5-27. ISSN: 1466-1829 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13571519884549
- Casson, M. and Wadeson, N. (1996) Information strategies and the theory of the Firm. International Journal of the Economics of Business , 3 (3). pp. 307-330. ISSN: 1466-1829 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/758539569