- Module Convenor: Development Economics (Postgraduate), Microfinance (Postgraduate)
Areas of interestGender and labour economics, economic history, economic thought and classical political economy
- Issues of gender, intrahousehold bargaining and domestic violence
- Labour markets in developing countries, especially in the informal sector
- Role of institutions in development
- Economic history of colonialism and development
- Economic thought especially of intellectual traditions associated with economic freedom, colonialism, race in economics, feminist economics and heterodox traditions
Research centres and groups
BackgroundI am a development economist interested in looking at current and historic determinants of well-being and development. I am particularly interested in the ideas of bargaining, consent and freedom and what role these play in economic and well-being outcomes for individuals in developing countries.
I have published research that looks at bargaining power and well-being of women in the gendered occupations of sex work and domestic work and am currently conducting research in domestic violence and political conflict in the developing world. My other area of research is in he nature and policies around colonial unfree labour and its contribution to 19th century global capitalism.
- PhD: University of Reading, United Kingdom
- MPhil: Centre for Development Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
- MA: Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
- BA: Viswabharati, India
Awards and honours
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2013 '' Working Paper, Centre for Budget and Governance Accountability
- 'Adoption of a Transactions Cost Approach to Brothel-Based Sex Work: Case of GB Road, New Delhi, India Indian Journal of Labour Economics Volume 55, No. 3
- 2011 Book review 'Theories of Development: Contentions, Arguments, Alternatives (2nd ed.) by Richard Peet and Elaine Hartwick'
Volume 55, Issue 3
- Hui, N. and Kambhampati, U. (2020) Stigma and labour market outcomes: sex work and domestic work in India. Journal of Development Studies , 56 (1). pp. 112-128. ISSN: 1743-9140 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00220388.2018.1564906
- Hui, N. (2017) Labour market outcomes and well-being of women in gendered occupations: the case of sex work and domestic work in India.
- Hui, N. (2017) Bargaining power and indicators of well-being among brothel-based sex workers in India. Feminist Economics , 23 (3). pp. 49-76. ISSN: 1466-4372 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13545701.2017.1315440