Areas of interestMy research applies statistical and econometric analysis to the understanding of key competition and regulation issues, in particular the impact of regulation on the operation/competition in relevant markets. I also explore the understanding of consumers' search and switching behaviour in regulated sectors and the implications of regulation.
I also have research experience and interest in the area relating to the empirical assessment of firm efficiency and performance applying techniques such as Data Envelopment Analysis and Stochastic Frontier Analysis.
Postgraduate supervisionApplied industrial organisation, competition policy and regulation, consumer behaviour and policy, firm innovation, efficiency and performance
Research centres and groupsBusiness Economics and Finance Research Cluster
BackgroundI first arrived in Glasgow as an international student in 2002. After graduation, I further pursued my academic studies with Birmingham University where I did my PhD. Before joining the University of Reading, I was an Assistant Professor in Industrial Economics at University of Nottingham between 2014 and 2016 and a Post-doc research associate at the Centre for Competition Policy (CCP, University of East Anglia) between 2010 and 2014.
- HEA Fellow, September 2018
- PhD, Economics University of Birmingham, 2009
- MPhil, Monetary Economics and Finance, University of Glasgow, 2003
- BA, Economics, Nanjing University of Science & Technology (China), 2001
Awards and honours
- NUIST-Reading Research Fund Scheme (2019, £5000) (Co-Investigator)
- University of Reading's Fellowship Scheme (2018, £1992)
- Overseas Research Students Award Scheme, Universities UK and University of Birmingham (2005-2008, £39,000)
Waddams Price, C. and Zhu, M. Response to the Financial Conduct Authority 'Call for inputs on competition in the mortgage sector', December 2015.
Waddams Price, C. and Zhu, M. Response to the Competition and Markets Authority 'Retail Banking Market Investigation - Statement of Issues', November 2014.
Deller, D., Hviid, M., Waddams Price, C. and Zhu, M. Response to CMA 'Energy Market Investigation - Statement of Issues', August 2014.
Waddams Price, C., Hviid, M., Deller, D., Jeon, J. Y., Mantzari, D. and Zhu, M. Response to Ofgem, 'Protecting Consumers in Collective Switching Schemes', April 2014.
Lyons, B. and Zhu, M. Response to Independent Banking Commission Issues Paper (on banking structure and stability), November 2010.
Lyons, B. and Zhu, M. (2019) "Consumer Uptake of Internet Banking, Endogenous Market Structure and Regional Integration in Europe", University of Reading Discussion Paper 2019-14: Download PDF Here
Lyons, B. and Zhu, M. (2013) Compensating Competitors or Restoring Competition? EC Regulation of State Aid for Banks during the Crisis, Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Volume 13, Issue 1, page 39-66
Zhu, M. (2013) Consumer switching across markets: bias or preference?, in Mehta, J. (ed.), Fatas, E., Fletcher, A., Hargreaves-Heap, S., Harker, M., Hanretty, C., Hviid, M., Lyons, B., Mariuzzo, F., Sugden, R., Waddams Price, C., Zhu, M., Mehta, J. Behavioural Economics in Competition and Consumer Policy, ESRC Centre for Competition Policy UEA Repository (Book)
- Zhu, M. ORCID: 0000-0001-6687-3267 (2021) Evidence-based medicine and healthcare quality in the context of information failure: the case of the UK fertility sector. PharmacoEconomics - Open , 5 pp. 561-576. ISSN: 2509-4254 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s41669-021-00285-4
- Zhu, M. and Peyrache, A. (2017) The quality and efficiency of public service delivery in the UK and China. Regional Studies , 51 (2). pp. 285-296. ISSN: 0034-3404 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00343404.2015.1080992
- Waddams Price, C. and Zhu, M. (2016) Empirical evidence of consumer response in regulated markets. Journal of Competition Law and Economics , 12 (1). pp. 113-149. ISSN: 1744-6422 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/joclec/nhv041
- Waddams Price, C. and Zhu, M. (2016) Non-discrimination clauses: their effect on British retail energy prices. The Energy Journal , 37 (2). ISSN: 1944-9089 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5547/01956574.37.2.cpri
- Asmild, M. and Zhu, M. (2016) Controlling for the use of extreme weights in bank efficiency assessments during the financial crisis. European Journal of Operational Research , 251 (3). pp. 999-1015. ISSN: 0377-2217 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.12.021