Joo Young Jeon
Areas of interest
Behavioural and experimental economics, industrial organisation / competition policy, and public economics.
I am happy to supervise new PhD students in behavioural/experimental projects and empirical projects, especially in the following topics:
- Social preference/charity
- Industrial organisation/competition policy
Research centres and groups
I am a member of the following research clusters
I am a researcher in the broad area of applied microeconomics with skills in designing and running experiments, analysing laboratory or field data with various appropriate econometric techniques. My research can broadly be segregated into two pathways. In the first pathway, I pursue behavioural and experimental research to understand social preference and conflict behaviour. The second pathway relates to industrial economics and competition policy in which I am investigating collusion, vertical relations and topics in anti-trust and consumer policies. Before joining the University of Reading, I was a lecturer in microeconomics at the University of East Anglia.
Awards and honours
SPEIR project funding for the workshop on the Economics of Charity
- Deller, D. , Giulietti, M. , Loomes, G. , Waddams P., C. , Moniche, A. , Jeon, J. (2020) Switching energy suppliers: it’s not all about the money. The Energy Journal , 42 (3). ISSN: 1944-9089 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5547/01956574.42.3.ddel
- Chowdhury, S. , Grossman, P. , Jeon, J. (2020) Gender differences in giving and the anticipation regarding giving in dictator games. Oxford Economic Papers , 72 (3). pp. 772-779. ISSN: 0030-7653 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/oep/gpaa002
- Chowdhury, S. , Jeon, J. , Saha, B. (2017) Gender differences in the giving and taking variants of the dictator game. Southern Economic Journal , 84 (2). pp. 474-483. ISSN: 2325-8012 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/soej.12223
- Chowdhury, S. , Jeon, J. , Ramalingam, A. (2016) Identity and group conflict. European Economic Review , 90 pp. 107-121. ISSN: 0014-2921 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2016.02.003
- Chowdhury, S. and Jeon, J. (2014) Impure altruism or inequality aversion? An experimental investigation based on income effects. Journal of Public Economics , 118 pp. 143-150. ISSN: 0047-2727 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpubeco.2014.07.003