Dr Todd Jones
Building locationPolly Vacher
Areas of interest
- Data analysis in environmental science
- Machine learning applications
- Numerical methods
- Environmental science codes
Todd comes to Computer Science following education and work in the atmospheric sciences. His BSc in Geography at The Ohio State University focussed on meteorology and climate studies, with a minor in archaeology. As part of his MSc and PhD work at Colorado State University, Todd worked on the development and study of small-scale, cloud-resolving and large-scale, global numerical atmospheric models. This included work in connection with the Center for Multiscale Modeling of Atmospheric Processes (CMMAP) project and the Dynamics of the Madden-Julian Oscillation (DYNAMO) field project, where he set up and operated a weather balloon sounding station in the Maldives.
In 2017, Todd joined the Department of Meteorology at the University of Reading as a postdoctoral researcher on the ParaCon project, working toward development of the next generation of atmospheric convection parameterization for the UKMO Unified Model. In this role, he became involved in the development of the Met Office/NERC Cloud (MONC) large-eddy simulation model and joined its Governance and Management Group.
He became a Lecturer in Computer Science (with application to Environmental Science) at the University of Reading in 2022.
PhD (Atmospheric Science) Colorado State University
MSc (Atmospheric Science) Colorado State University
BSc (Geography) The Ohio State University
- Tang, S. , Xie, S. , Guo, Z. , Hong, S. , Khouider, B. , Klocke, D. , Kohler, M. , Koo, M. , Krishna, P. , Larson, V. , Park, S. , Vaillancourt, P. , Wang, Y. , Yang, J. , Daleu, C. , Homeyer, C. , Jones, T. ORCID: 0000-0002-7669-1499 , Malap, N. , Neggers, R. , Prabhakaran, T. , Ramirez, E. , Schumacher, C. , Tao, C. , Bechtold, P. , Ma, H. , Neelin, J. , Zeng, X. (2021) Long-term single-column model intercomparison of diurnal cycle of precipitation over midlatitude and tropical land. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society ISSN: 1477-870X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/qj.4222
- Pope, K. , Holloway, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9903-8989 , Jones, T. ORCID: 0000-0002-7669-1499 , Stein, T. ORCID: 0000-0002-9215-5397 (2021) Cloud-radiation interactions and their contributions to convective self-aggregation. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems , 13 (9). ISSN: 1942-2466 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2021MS002535
- Gu, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-7752-4553 , Plant, R. ORCID: 0000-0001-8808-0022 , Holloway, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9903-8989 , Jones, T. ORCID: 0000-0002-7669-1499 (2021) Composited structure of non-precipitating shallow cumulus clouds. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society , 147 (738). pp. 2818-2833. ISSN: 1477-870X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/qj.4101
- Wing, A. , Stauffer, C. , Becker, T. , Reed, K. , Ahn, M. , Arnold, N. , Bony, S. , Branson, M. , Bryan, G. , Chaboureau, J. , de Roode, S. , Gayatri, K. , Hohenegger, C. , Hu, I. , Jansson, F. , Jones, T. , Khairoutdinov, M. , Kim, D. , Martin, Z. , Matsugishi, S. , Medeiros, B. , Miura, H. , Moon, Y. , Mülller, S. , Ohno, T. , Popp, M. , Prabhakaran, T. , Randall, D. , Rios-Berrios, R. , Rochetin, N. , Roehrig, R. , Romps, D. , Ruppert, Jr., J. , Satoh, M. , Silvers, L. , Singh, M. , Stevens, B. , Tomassini, L. , van Heerwaarden, C. , Wang, S. , Zhao, M. (2020) Clouds and convective self-aggregation in a multi-model ensemble of radiative-convective equilibrium simulations. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems , 12 (9). ISSN: 1942-2466 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2020MS002138
- Gu, J. , Plant, R. , Holloway, C. , Jones, T. , Stirling, A. , Clark, P. , Woolnough, S. , Webb, T. (2020) Evaluation of the bulk mass flux formulation using large eddy simulations. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences , 77 (6). pp. 2115-2137. ISSN: 1520-0469 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JAS-D-19-0224.1
- Jones, T. , Randall, D. , Branson, M. (2019) Multiple‐instance superparameterization, part 2: the effects of stochastic convection on the simulated climate. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems , 11 (11). pp. 3521-3544. ISSN: 1942-2466 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2019MS001611
- Jones, T. , Randall, D. , Branson, M. (2019) Multiple‐instance superparameterization, part 1: concept, and predictability of precipitation. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems , 11 (11). pp. 3497-3520. ISSN: 1942-2466 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2019MS001610