Dr Pat Parslow
Building locationPolly Vacher
Areas of interest
Dr Parslow has a particular interest in supporting students' transition to higher education, and in developing life-long, self-directed learners. He is interested in:
- Technology Enhanced Learning
- Open Online Courses (OOCs)
- Text analysis
- Sociotechnical systems
- Artificial consciousness
- Software engineering
- Design automation
- Social media
- Requirements analysis
- Learner modeling.
- Software Engineering
- Business Programming
- Software Quality and Testing
- Social, Legal and Ethical Aspects of Computing.
Research projectsDr Parslow has been involved in a range of research projects funded by the EU and by JISC looking at technology enhanced learning and digital identity.
BackgroundDr Parslow came to Reading in 1984 as an undergraduate, dropped out, and had a career as a software engineer and IT analyst for a number of years before returning to get a degree (or three).
Awards and honoursIn 2016, Dr Parslow was awarded the Teaching Excellence Award for Science.
Professional bodies/affiliationsDr Parslow is on the review committee for the Electronic Journal of e-Learning.
- Treffers-Daller, J. , Parslow, P. , Williams, S. (2018) Back to basics: how measures of lexical diversity can help discriminate between CEFR levels. Applied Linguistics , 39 (3). pp. 302-327. ISSN: 1477-450X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/applin/amw009
- Liyanagunawardena, T. , Parslow, P. , Williams, S. (2017) Exploring ‘success’ in MOOCs: participants’ perspective. In: Bennett, R. and Kent, M. , (eds.) Massive open online courses and higher education: what went right, what went wrong and where to next?. Routledge , London. pp. 92-108. ISBN: 9781472481986
- Al-Azawei, A. , Parslow, P. , Lundqvist, K. (2016) Barriers and opportunities of e-learning implementation in Iraq: a case of public universities. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning , 17 (5). pp. 126-146. ISSN: 1492-3831 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v17i5.2501
- Al-Azawei, A. , Parslow, P. , Lundqvist, K. (2015) A psychometric analysis of reliability and validity of the index of learning styles (ILS). International Journal of Psychological Studies , 7 (3). pp. 46-57. ISSN: 1918-722X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ijps.v7n3p46
- Williams, S. , Lundqvist, K. , Parslow, P. (2013) RedGloo: Experiences of developing and using an emerging technology in higher education. British Journal of Educational Technology , 44 (4). pp. 668-672. ISSN: 1467-8535 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bjet.12055
- Williams, S. , Fleming, S. , Lundqvist, K. , Parslow, P. (2012) This is me: digital identity and reputation on the Internet. In: Warburton, S. and Hatzipanagos, S. , (eds.) Digital identities and social media. IGI Global , United Kingdom. pp. 104-117. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-4666-1915-9
- Adams, A. , Murata, K. , Orito, Y. , Parslow, P. (2011) Emerging social norms in the UK and Japan on privacy and revelation in SNS. IRIE: the International Review of Information Ethics , 16 pp. 20-26. ISSN: 1614-1687
- Harvey, A. , McCrindle, R. , Lundqvist, K. , Parslow, P. (2010) Automatic speech recognition for assistive technology devices.
- Williams, S. , Fleming, S. , Parslow, P. (2010) Digital identity for the retired. Lulu , Reading, UK.
- Williams, S. , Fleming, S. , Parslow, P. (2010) Digital identity for health professionals. Lulu , Reading, UK.
- Williams, S. , Fleming, S. , Parslow, P. (2010) Digital identity for careers. Lulu , Reading, UK. pp 27.
- Williams, S. , Fleming, S. , Lundqvist, K. , Parslow, P. (2010) Understanding your digital identity. Learning Exchange , 1 (1). ISSN: 2043-6602
- Williams, . , Lundqvist, . , Ashton, . , Evans, M. , Parslow, . , Porter-Daniels, . (2008) Developing community via the RedGloo learning landscape.
- Parslow, . , Williams, . , Evans, M. , Lundqvist, . , Ashford, . , Porter-Daniels, . (2008) eLearning communities and spaces.
- Lundqvist, . , Ashton, . , Evans, M. , Parslow, . , Porter-Daniels, . , Williams, . (2008) MeAggregator™.
- Evans, M. , Williams, . , Parslow, . , Ashton, . , Lundqvist, . , Porter-Daniels, . (2008) The MeAggregator: personal aggregation and the life-long tail of the web. pp. 8-10 .
- Parslow, P. , Lundqvist, K. , Williams, S. , Ashton, R. , Evans, M. (2008) Facebook & BlackBoard: comparative view of learning environments.
- Parslow, P. , Williams, S. , Evans, M. , Øster Lundqvist, K. , Porter-Daniels, E. , Ashton, R. (2007) Facebook & Blackboard: comparison of learner perspectives.
- Parslow, P. , Williams, S. , Browne, W. (2007) Collaborative eLearning Assistant Network: caring agents are conscious agents.