Dr Martin Lester
Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
Building locationPolly Vacher
Areas of interest
- Automated verification, model checking and program analysis
- Semantics and design of programming Llnguages
- Information flow security
Postgraduate supervisionDr Lester is seeking PhD students in his areas of interest. He has proposed some suggested projects, which are listed on the PhD opportunities page.
- Information Security.
BackgroundAfter completing his undergraduate degree in 2006 at the University of Cambridge, Dr Martin Lester worked for a year as a software developer at Autonomy Systems in Cambridge.
From 2013 to 2017, Dr Lester held various teaching positions in Oxford, including as a Senior Teaching Assistant at the Department of Computer Science and as a College Lecturer at Balliol College and Worcester College. Next, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher under Bill Roscoe and Philippa Hopcroft, developing tools for the Coco language for verification of software models.
Dr Lester became a Lecturer at the University of Reading in 2018, and is currently the undergraduate Admissions Tutor, as well as being responsible for organising open and visit days. Lately, his research has focused primarily on the interaction between metaprogramming, program transformation and program analysis.
- MA, Computer Science, Gonville & Caius College, University of Cambridge, 2006
- MSc, Mathematics and Foundations of Computer Science, St Edmund Hall College, University of Oxford, 2009
- DPhil, Computer Science, Merton College, University of Oxford, 2015.
Awards and honours
Dr Lester was part of the winning team for the 2011 ICFPPC (Programming Competition run by the International Conference on Functional Programming).
He was part of the organising committee for the 2014 ICFPPC.
- Member of the British Computer Society – The Chartered Institute for IT
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Lester, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-2323-1771 (2021) Reprobate at ITC 2021: pseudoboolean optimisation for RobinX sports timetabling. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling - PATAT 2021: Volume II
- Lester, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-2323-1771 (2021) Scheduling reach mahjong tournaments using pseudoboolean constraints. Theory and Applications of Satisfiability Testing - SAT 2021 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-80223-3
- Lester, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-2323-1771 (2020) Program transformations enable verification tools to solve interactive fiction games. Programme Committee of 7th International Workshop on Rewriting Techniques for Program Transformations and Evaluation
- Lester, M. (2020) ScAmPER: generating test suites to maximise code coverage in interactive fiction games. pp. 169-179. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-50995-8_10
- Lester, M. , Ong, L. , Schäfer, M. (2016) Information flow analysis for a dynamically typed language with staged metaprogramming. Journal of Computer Security , 24 (5). pp. 541-582. ISSN: 0926-227X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/JCS-160557