Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for use of the Campus Card Account on the University of Reading Campus Card to pay for goods and services on the University's UK campuses
Members of the University of Reading (the "University") or those with an active University username, who join the University's Campus Card scheme (the "Scheme") may only gain the discounts offered by the Scheme by using their University Campus Card when purchasing items from participating outlets on any of the University's UK campuses (the "Campuses"). These Terms and Conditions govern use of the University Campus Card under the Scheme.
Each University Campus Card has a microchip segment that can be activated for retail purchasing use when a person receives their University Campus Card. The owner of the University Campus Card can then add money to the University Campus Card account via the card finance website which is held as an electronic credit. This credit balance can be used to pay Library fines, printing & photocopying charges and goods and services in participating outlets on the Campuses.
1. The Scheme is only available to current University staff, students or individuals with a current University username.
2. The University and participating outlets have the right to reject damaged or defaced University Campus Cards.
3. The University Campus Card account will be closed one year after an individual ceases to be a University student, member of staff or ceases to have an active University username. Once closed, any balance remaining on the University Campus Card account will not be refunded. Any funds remaining on a closed University Campus Card account will in the first instance be used to clear negative balances on other closed University Campus Card accounts and any remaining funds shall be donated to a fund for the benefit of students.
4. The University has the right to terminate some or all of the University Campus Card facilities at any time, without notice. If the University terminates the University Campus Card account of a current student, staff member or those individuals with a current University username it will refund any balance remaining the University Campus Card account. Refunds can only be issued back to the original form of payment(s) used.
5. Account holders must not hold more than £500 on their University Campus Card account at any time.
6. Funds held on the University Campus Card account cannot be transferred to another account or Catered Purse*.
7. Those using the Parent/Guardian top-up facility on the www.reading.ac.uk/cardfinance website will receive acknowledgement of payments to their preferred email address. Communications to University Campus Card account holders will be made only to their University email address.
8. The University Campus Card account holder is responsible for their username and password that is used on the card finance website and the University shall not be held responsible for any consequences if the account holder discloses this information to others.
9. Items which qualify for discounted purchases will be determined by the outlet participating in the Scheme . Each participating outlet has the right to change discounted items at any time.
10. Discounts will be calculated and given at the point of sale.
11. A discount can only be given if there are sufficient funds available on the University Campus Card account to pay for the entire discounted value of the transaction.
12. Any discounts offered when using the University Campus Card must be paid in full using credit on the University Campus Card. If insufficient funds are available on the University Campus Card to purchase an item at the entire discounted price, the full retail price will apply and the account holder can pay for the balance of the item using another form of payment including any credit held on the account holder's purse on the University Campus Card (subject to the purse rules) .
13. If the Campus Card system is offline account holders will only able to spend up to £7.00 in any one transaction. When the system is back online the Campus Card account balance will be retrospectively charged with any offline transactions made.
14. In the event that any purchase transaction is refunded using the University Campus Card such refunds will only be made to the University Campus Card, and cannot be offered as any other type of payment. A receipt of the purchase transaction will also be required for the refund to be given.
15. Printing & Photocopying misprints can only be exchanged at the IT services helpdesk.
16. University Campus Cards may only be used by the account holder whose photographic likeness appears on the University Campus Card. Participating outlets have the right to confiscate or refuse to accept a University Campus Card for payment if it is presented by a person other than the account holder. If the University Campus Card is confiscated it will be considered to have been lost or stolen and the rules relating to replacement cards will apply (see 18 below).
17. The University Campus Card account holder must use the University Campus Card only for the purposes for which it is issued.
18.Where a University Campus Card is damaged, a replacement card will need to be obtained by the account holder and the last known remaining balance on the damaged University Campus Card, as determined by the University will be transferred to the replacement card.
19. If a University Campus Card is lost or stolen it is the responsibility of the account holder to block the card via the Campus Card portal website (www.reading.ac.uk/cardfinance).
Following this, use of any credit held on the University Campus Card will normally be blocked within 1 hour. Until that block has taken effect any transactions made with the University Campus Card will be the responsibility and liability of the account holder.
A blocked University Campus Card cannot be reactivated and must be replaced with a new one. A replacement fee may apply in respect of blocked, lost or stolen cards.
The replacement University Campus Card will be activated with the last known value, as determined by the University, on the previous card at the time the block took effect. If during the next 24 hours further transactions which were entered into before the block was effected but which did not appear at time of replacing the University Campus Card are found, the account balance will be retrospectively adjusted.
20. Any data used and processed in the Scheme is subject to the University's Data Protection Policy.
21. We may revise these terms and conditions from time-to-time. Revised terms and conditions will apply to the use of the University Campus Card from the date of the publication of the revised terms and conditions on our website. Please check this page regularly to ensure you are familiar with the current version.
*A Catered Purse is used by Students who have pre-paid for a UoR Catering Package in Fully Catered Student Halls of Residence. This purse is automatically topped up at intervals according to the package purchased. These students may also use the web-loaded cash purse on their card to make purchases.
(Revised 29July 2016)