Dr Alana James
School Director of Academic Tutoring , School Director of Teaching and Learning.
University Teaching Fellow (awarded 2020)
Research Methods; Developmental Psychology
MA (Edinburgh); MSc (York); PhD (London); Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
BPS DARTP/OUP Higher Education Psychology Teacher of the Year 2019
Areas of Interest
Social-development and educational psychology, particularly: bullying; peer mentoring systems in schools and universities; student welfare and the transition into university; outreach with schools and colleges; parenting interventions.
Research groups / Centres
Psychopathology and Affective Neuroscience
Beatrice Hayes - Children's understanding of the risks associated with Social Networking site use: online self-disclosure and impact on children's social-emotional wellbeing.
Selected Pedagogic and Public Engagement Resources
The Psychologist Guide to… [new] university life - evidence-based tips within a guide for university students, The Psychologist, 2020
Social Scientists in Training - resources for teachers and others to develop research skills in A-level Psychology students, ESRC Festival of Social Science, 2017
Reflections on university transition from a new staff member. Engage in Teaching and Learning Blog, University of Reading, 2017
Supporting mental health during educational transitions - workshop slides available, Pupil Diversity, South East Research Network for Schools, 2017
Running and evaluating peer support systems in schools - talk slides and workshop summary available, Literacy & Mental Health in Schools, South East Research Network for Schools, 2016
How do children learn to form social bonds? The Conversation, 2016
- Cox, H., James, A., Day, C. and Reissland, N. (2020) Feasibility of a psychoeducational group intervention to improve parental reflective functioning and bonding in pregnancy: a randomised trial. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology. ISSN 0264-6838 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02646838.2020.1786036
- James, A. I. (2019) University-school mentoring to support transition into and out of higher education. Psychology Teaching Review, 25 (2). ISSN 0965-948X
- James, A. (2018) University-school mentoring: supporting students’ employability and pupils’ transition into Higher Education. In: Arnold, L. and Norton, L. (eds.) HEA Action Research: Sector Case Studies. Higher Education Academy, York, pp. 31-37.
- Lucas, R. and James, A. I. (2018) An evaluation of specialist mentoring for university students with autism spectrum disorders and mental health conditions. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 48 (3). pp. 694-707. ISSN 1573-3432 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-017-3303-1
- Lucas, R., Cage, E. and James, A. I. (2018) Expectations of the university to post-graduation transition of students with mental health conditions. Psychology Teaching Review, 24 (1). pp. 79-81. ISSN 0965-948X
- Cowie, H. and James, A. (2016) Peer support in England, Japan and South Korea. In: Smith, P. K., Kwak, K. and Toda, Y. (eds.) School bullying in different cultures: Eastern and Western perspectives. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 189-207. ISBN 9781107031890 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781139410878.013
- Michelson, D., Ben-Zion, I., James, A. I., Draper, L., Penney, C. and Day, C. (2014) ‘Living with Teenagers’: feasibility study of a peer-led parenting intervention for socially disadvantaged families with adolescent children. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 99 (8). pp. 731-737. ISSN 0003-9888 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2013-304936
- James, A. I., Smith, P. K. and Radford, L. (2014) Becoming grown-ups: a qualitative study of the experiences of peer mentors. Pastoral Care in Education, 32 (2). pp. 104-115. ISSN 1468-0122 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02643944.2014.893008
- James, A. I. (2014) Cross-age mentoring to support A-level pupils’ transition into Higher Education and undergraduate students’ employability. Psychology Teaching Review, 20 (2). pp. 79-94. ISSN 0965-948X (Special issue: Pedagogical action research)
- James, A. I. and Cowie, H. (2013) Peer support. In: Yamasaki, K., Toda, Y. and Watanabe, Y. (eds.) Prevention education at schools in the world. Kaneko Shobo, pp. 147-156. ISBN 9784760888016