- Teaching and Learning Dean (2017 - )
- Member of the British Pharmacopeia Commission Expert Advisory Group (20112 -)
- Principal Fellow Higher Education Academy (2020 - )
- University Teaching Fellow (2011 - )
Areas of interest
Metal-based Anti-cancer Drugs
This aspect of my research is based on the synthesis, analysis and biological testing of metal-based anti-cancer drugs. The search for effective anti-cancer drugs is still a very important task in modern research, especially in chemistry, as a result of the wide variety of tumor types and problems of toxicity associated with conventional cancer therapies. Metals of interest for incorporation within organometallic anti-cancer agents are germanium and titanium. The advantage of organogermanium compounds is that they combine cytotoxic activity with a stimulation of the immune system with almost no detectable sign of toxicity. Research in the area of titanium-based complexes as potential anti-cancer drugs showed impressive results over the last 5 years and we believe there is still scope for further improvements. The idea of this research area is to devise and evaluate new organic and organometallic synthetic routes to allow access to biologically interesting anti-cancer agents.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Quality Assessment
Traditional Chinese Medicine refers to a range of medical concepts developed in China and based of tradition more than 2000 years ago. It includes herbal medicine, acupuncture, massage and exercise.
Unfortunately, there are some herbal TCM products on the UK market that may be of questionable quality, which may impose a risk to the public. These products may be adulterated with toxic or illegal ingredients or simply produced to a low standard. It may be very difficult to distinguish between those products posing a health risk to the public and herbal TCM products made to an acceptable quality standard.
Currently we are working in collaboration with the MHRA in order to develop analytical standards to identify TCM herbs of acceptable quality. Within the same project we are developing Monographs for the British Pharmacopeia to ensure quality standards being introduced in the commercial market.
Problem-based learning (PBL)
Problem-based learning (PBL) is a student-centered teaching approach, which uses real-life case studies to teach students complex and multifaceted concepts. The targets of PBL include helping students to develop problem-solving skills, self-directed learning, working in teams and continuous professional development.
We are working on developing teaching concepts for a variety of teaching scenarios reaching from Therapeutics lectures and workshops to practical classes in Medicinal Chemistry.
Large class size teaching in diverse student cohorts
This project investigates the student experience in large classes especially in cohorts with a diverse composition. We are looking at identifying good practice and barriers to successful engagement between the student and the lecturer.
We are working on developing a suite of teaching material, which will help to overcome barriers to effective learning in large class sizes and equip lecturers with ideas and tools to deliver an engaging course.
If you are interested in one of the projects or aspects of them, please do not hesitate to contact me.
BSc/PGCE (Wuerzburg); Phd (Wuerzburg); PGCAP (Reading)
Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC)
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Strohfeldt, K. (2019) The power of the virtual client – using problem-based learning as a tool for integration in a pharmaceutical sciences laboratory course. Higher Education Pedagogies , 4 (1). pp. 462-475. ISSN: 2375-2696 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23752696.2019.1686647
- Ravishankar, D. , Salamah, M. , Attina, A. , Pothi, R. , Vallance, T. , Javed, M. , Williams, H. , Alzahrani, E. , Kabova, E. , Vaiyapuri, R. , Shankland, K. , Gibbins, J. , Strohfeldt, K. , Greco, F. , Osborn, H. , Vaiyapuri, S. (2017) Ruthenium-conjugated chrysin analogues modulate platelet activity, thrombus formation and haemostasis with enhanced efficacy. Scientific Reports , 7 ISSN: 2045-2322 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-05936-3
- Thomson, R. , Gardner, R. , Strohfeldt, K. , Fernandes, D. , Stafford, G. , Spencer, D. , Osborn, H. (2017) Analysis of three epoetin alpha products by LC and LC-MS indicates differences in glycosylation critical quality attributes, including sialic acid content. Analytical Chemistry , 89 (12). pp. 6455-6462. ISSN: 0003-2700 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.7b00353
- Strohfeldt, K. and Khutoryanskaya, O. (2015) Using problem-based learning in a chemistry practical class for pharmacy students and engaging them with feedback. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education , 79 (9). ISSN: 1553-6467 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5688/ajpe799141
- Sarsam, S. , Nutt, D. , Strohfeldt, K. , Watson, K. (2011) Titanocene anticancer complexes and their binding mode of action to human serum albumin: a computational study. Metallomics , 3 (2). pp. 152-161. ISSN: 1756-5901 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c0mt00041h
- Strohfeldt, K. and Grant, D. (2010) A model for self-directed problem-based learning for renal therapeutics. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education , 74 (9). pp. Article 173.
- Bauer, J. , Stiller, J. , Marques-Lopez, E. , Strohfeldt, K. , Christmann, M. , Strohmann , C. (2010) Silyl-Modified Analogues of 2-Tritylpyrrolidine: Synthesis and Applications in Asymmetric Organocatalysis. Chemistry - A European Journal , 16 (42). pp. 12553-12558. ISSN: 0947-6539 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201002166
- Vessieres, A. , Plamont, M. , Cabestaing, C. , Claffey, J. , Dieckmann, S. , Hogan, M. , Mueller-Bunz, H. , Strohfeldt, K. , Tacke, M. (2009) Proliferative and anti-proliferative effects of titanium- and iron-based metallocene anti-cancer drugs. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry , 694 (6). pp. 874-879. ISSN: 0022-328X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jorganchem.2008.11.071
- Dowling, . , Claffrey, . , Cuffe, . , Fichtner, . , Pampillon, . , Sweeney, . , Strohfeldt, . , Watson, . , William, . , Tacke, . (2008) Antitumor activity of Titanocene Y in xenografted PC3 tumors in mice. Letters in Drug Design & Discovery , 5 (2). pp. 141-144. ISSN: 1570-1808 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.2174/157018008783928463
- Pampillon, . , Claffey, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2008) Synthesis and cytotoxicity studies of new dimethylamino-functionalised and aryl-substituted titanocene anti-cancer agents. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry , 43 (1). pp. 122-128. ISSN: 0223-5234 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2007.02.011
- Strohfeldt, K. and Tacke, M. (2008) Bioorganometallic fulvene-derived titanocene anti-cancer drugs . Chemical Society Reviews , 37 (6). pp. 1174-1187. ISSN: 0306-0012 | doi: DOI:10.1039/b707310k
- Bannon, . , Fichtner, . , O'Neill, . , Pampillon, . , Sweeney, . , Strohfeldt, . , Watson, . , Tacke, . , McGee, . (2007) Substituted titanocenes induce caspase-dependent apoptosis in human epidermoid carcinoma cells in vitro and exhibit antitumour activity in vivo. British Journal of Cancer , 97 (9). pp. 1234-1241. ISSN: 0007-0920 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604021
- Beckhove, . , Oberschmidt, . , Hanauske, . , Pampillon, . , Schirrmacher, . , Sweeney, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2007) Antitumor activity of Titanocene Y against freshly explanted human breast tumor cells and in xenografted MCF-7 tumors in mice. Anti-cancer Drugs , 18 (3). pp. 311-316. ISSN: 0959-4973 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e328010a6f7
- Müller-Bunz, . , Dix, . , Lou, . , Pampillón, . , Strohfeldt, . , Sweeney, . , Tacke, . (2007) A series of novel 6-aryl fulvenes: impact of substitution on the phenyl ring, characterised by X-Ray crystallography. Zeitschrift Fur Kristallographie , 222 (7). pp. 376-382. ISSN: 0044-2968
- Oberschmidt, . , Hanauske, . , Pampillón, . , Strohfeldt, . , Sweeney, . , Tacke, . (2007) Antiproliferative activity of Titanocene Y against tumor colony-forming units. Anticancer Drugs , 18 (3). pp. 317-322. ISSN: 0959-4973 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e3280115f86
- Pampillón, . , Claffey, . , Hogan, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2007) Synthesis and cytotoxicity studies of new dimethylamino-functionalised and indolyl-substituted titanocene anti-cancer drugs. Transition Metal Chemistry , 32 (4). pp. 434-441. ISSN: 0340-4285 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11243-006-0183-1
- Pampillón, . , Sweeney, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2007) Synthesis and cytotoxicity studies of new dimethylamino-functionalised and hetero aryl-substituted titanocene anti-cancer drugs. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry , 692 (11). pp. 2153-2159. ISSN: 022-328x | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jorganchem.2007.01.045
- Strohfeldt, . , Müller-Bunz, . , Pampillon, . , Tacke, . (2007) Proliferative and antiproliferative effects in substituted titanocene anticancer drugs. Transition Metal Chemistry , 32 (7). pp. 971-980. ISSN: 0340-4285 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11243-007-0265-8
- Sweeney, . , Claffey, . , Müller-Bunz, . , Pampillon, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2007) The synthesis and cytotoxic evaluation of a series of benzodioxole substituted titanocenes. Applied Organometallic Chemistry , 21 (2). pp. 57-65. ISSN: 0268-2605 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aoc.1177
- Fichtner, . , Pampillon, . , Sweeney, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2006) Anti-tumor activity of Titanocene Y in xenografted Caki-1 tumors in mice. Anti-Cancer Drugs , 17 (3). pp. 333-336. ISSN: 0959-4973
- O'Connor, . , Gill, . , Tacke, . , Rebmann, . , Strohfeldt, . , Sweeney, . , Fitzpatrick, . , Watson, . (2006) Novel titanocene anti-cancer drugs and their effect on apoptosis and the apoptotic pathway in prostate cancer cells. Apoptosis , 11 (7). pp. 1205-1214. ISSN: 1360-8185 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10495-006-6796-1
- Pampillon, . , Mendoza, . , Sweeney, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2006) Diarylmethyl substituted titanocenes: promising anti-cancer drugs. Polyhedron , 25 (10). pp. 2101-2108. ISSN: 0277-5387 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.poly.2006.01.007
- Pampillon, . , Sweeney, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2006) Diheteroarylmethyl substituted titanocenes: a novel class of possible anti-cancer drugs. Inorganica Chimica Acta , 359 (12). pp. 3969-3975. ISSN: 0020-1693 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ica.2006.05.021
- Strohfeldt, . , Muller-Bunz, . , Pampillon, . , Sweeney, . , Tacke, . (2006) Glycol methyl ether and glycol amine substituted titanocenes as antitumor agents. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry (22). pp. 4621-4628. ISSN: 1434-1948 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ejic.200600586
- Strohmann, . , Dilsky, . , Strohfeldt, . (2006) Crystal structures of [PhLi center dot(-)-sparteine](2), [PhOLi center dot(-)-sparteine](2), and the mixed aggregate [PhLi center dot PhOLi center dot 2(-)-sparteine]. Organometallics , 25 (1). pp. 41-44. ISSN: 0276-7333 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/om050794w
- Sweeney, . , Gallagher, . , Muller-Bunz, . , Pampillon, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . (2006) Heteroaryl substituted titanocenes as potential anti-cancer drugs. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry , 100 (9). pp. 1479-1486. ISSN: 0162-0134 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2006.04.006
- Valadares, . , Ramos, . , Rehmann, . , Sweeney, . , Strohfeldt, . , Tacke, . , Queiroz, . (2006) Antitumour activity of [1,2-di(cyclopentadienyl)-1,2-di(p-N,N-dimethylaminophenyl)-ethanediyl] titanium dichloride in xenografted Ehrlich's ascites tumour. European Journal of Pharmacology , 534 (1-3). pp. 264-270. ISSN: 0014-2999 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2006.01.056