Dr Hisham Al-Obaidi is a member of the General Pharmaceutical Council, Royal Pharmaceutical Society and the UK Clinical Pharmacy Association (UKCPA). He completed his BSc in pharmacy from Jordan University of Science and Technology. He then finished his MSc (distinction) and PhD in drug delivery from University College London. After working at King's College London as a research and teaching fellow in pharmacy, he then joined Reading school of Pharmacy in February 2016 as a lecturer in pharmaceutics.
During his research he has developed novel drug delivery carriers such as tertiary-based polymeric solid dispersions and hybrid magnetite nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery. He is particularly interested in engineering amorphous and crystalline materials for drug delivery purposes. These include the use of co-crystals as combination treatments, amorphous solid dispersions for oral drug delivery and encapsulation of bioactives into more complex carriers.
Within this context Dr Al-Obaidi has developed substantive experience in thermodynamic models for prediction of drug/carrier miscibility and use of surface-active agents to aid dissolution and improve aqueous solubility. Being a prescribing pharmacist along side previous experience in pharmaceutical industry and community pharmacy his research is originated towards matching scientific research with clinical needs.
- BSc Pharmacy (JUST)
- MSc Drug delivery (UCL)
- PhD Pharmaceutics (UCL)
- Diploma in pharmacy (Brighton)
- PGCAP (KCL)
- IP certificate (Hertfordshire)
H. Al-Obaidi, A.T. Florence, 2015. Nanoparticle delivery and particle diffusion in confined and complex environments, J Drug Del Sci Tech, .
H. Al-Obaidi, M.J. Lawrence, S. Shah, H. Moghul, N. Al-Saden and F. Bari, 2013. Effect of drug-polymer interactions on the aqueous solubility of milled solid dispersions. Int J Pharm 446, 100-105.
H. Al-Obaidi, M. J. Lawrence, N. Al-Saden and P. Ke, 2013. Investigation of griseofulvin and hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose acetate succinate miscibility in ball milled solid dispersions. Int J Pharm 443, 95-102.
P. Wasutrasawat, H. Al-Obaidi, S. Gaisford, M.J. Lawrence, W. Warisnoicharoen, 2013. Drug solubilisation in lipid nanoparticles containing high melting point triglycerides. Eur J Pharm Biopharm.
P. Ke, S. Hasegawa, H. Al-Obaidi and G. Buckton, 2012. Investigation of preparation methods on surface/bulk structural relaxation and glass fragility of amorphous solid dispersions. Int J Pharm 422, 170-178.
H. Al-Obaidi, P. Ke, S. Brocchini and G. Buckton, 2011. Characterization and stability of ternary solid dispersions with PVP and PHPMA. Int J Pharm 419, 20-27.
H. Al-Obaidi, B. Nasseri and A.T. Florence, 2010. Dynamics of microparticles inside lipid vesicles: movement in confined spaces. J Drug Target 18, 821-830.
H. Al-Obaidi and G. Buckton, 2009. Evaluation of griseofulvin binary and ternary solid dispersions with HPMCAS. AAPS PharmSciTech 10, 1172-1177.
H.P. Jarvie, H. Al-Obaidi, S.M. King, M Bowes, M.J. Lawrence, A.F. Drake, M.A. Green and P.J. Dobson, 2009. Fate of silica nanoparticles in simulated primary wastewater treatment. Enviro Sci Technol 43, 8622-8628.
H.Al-Obaidi, S. Brocchini and G. Buckton, 2009. Anomalous properties of spray dried solid dispersions. J Pharm Sci 98, 4724-4737.
- Al-Obaidi, H. , Granger, A. , Hibbard, T. , Opesanwo, S. (2021) Pulmonary drug delivery of antimicrobials and anticancer drugs using solid dispersions. Pharmaceutics , 13 (7). ISSN: 1999-4923 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/pharmaceutics13071056
- Bhanderi, A. , Bari, F. , Al-Obaidi, H. (2021) Evaluation of the impact of surfactants on miscibility of griseofulvin in spray dried amorphous solid dispersions. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology , 64 ISSN: 1773-2247 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jddst.2021.102606
- Blesia, V. , Vinood, P. , Al-Obaidi, H. , Renshaw, D. , Zariwala, M. (2021) Excessive iron induces oxidative stress promoting cellular perturbations and insulin secretory dysfunction in MIN6 beta cells. Cells , 10 (5). ISSN: 2073-4409 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/cells10051141
- Sanduk, F. , Meng, Y. , Widera, D. ORCID: 0000-0003-1686-130X , Kowalczyk, R. , Michael, N. , Kaur, A. , Yip, V. , Zulu, S. , Zavrou, I. , Hana, L. , Yaqoob, M. , Al-Obaidi, H. (2020) Enhanced anti-inflammatory potential of degradation resistant curcumin/ferulic acid eutectics embedded in triglyceride-based microemulsions. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology , 60 ISSN: 1773-2247 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jddst.2020.102067
- Assi, S. , Khan, I. , Edwards, A. , Osselton, D. , Al-Obaidi, H. ORCID: 0000-0001-9735-0303 (2020) On-spot quantification of modafinil in generic medicines purchased from the internet using handheld Fourier transform-infrared, near-infrared and Raman spectroscopy. Journal of Analytical Science and Technology , 11 (1). pp 0. ISSN: 2093-3371 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40543-020-00229-3
- Mohammed, A. , Zurek, J. , Madueke, S. , Al-Kassimy, H. , Yaqoob, M. , Houacine, C. , Ferraz, A. , Kalgudi, R. , Zariwala, M. , Hawkins, N. , Al-Obaidi, H. (2020) Generation of high dose inhalable effervescent dispersions against Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms. Pharmaceutical Research , 37 (8). ISSN: 0724-8741 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11095-020-02878-w
- Patel, N. , Zariwala, M. , Al-Obaidi, H. (2020) Fabrication of biopolymer based nanoparticles for the entrapment of chromium and iron supplements. Processes , 8 (6). ISSN: 2227-9717 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/pr8060707
- Chen, X. , Partheniadis, I. , Nikolakakis, I. , Al-Obaidi, H. (2020) Solubility improvement of progesterone from solid dispersions prepared by solvent evaporation and co-milling. Polymers , 12 (4). ISSN: 2073-4360 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/polym12040854
- Al-Obaidi, H. , Kowalczyk, R. , Kalgudi, R. , Zariwala, M. (2019) Griseofulvin solvate solid dispersions with synergistic effect against fungal biofilms. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces , 184 pp 0. ISSN: 9277765 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2019.110540
- Al-Obaidi, H. , Kalgudi, R. , Gulrez Zariwala, M. (2018) Fabrication of inhaled hybrid silver/ciprofloxacin nanoparticles with synergetic effect against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics , 128 pp. 27-35. ISSN: 0939-6411 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2018.04.006
- Al-Obaidi, H. , Majumder, M. , Bari, F. (2017) Amorphous and crystalline particulates: challenges and perspectives in drug delivery. Current pharmaceutical design , 23 (3). pp. 350-361. ISSN: 1873-4286 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.2174/1381612822666161107162109
- Al-Obaidi, H. , Lawrence, M. , Buckton, G. (2016) Atypical effects of incorporated surfactants on stability and dissolution properties of amorphous polymeric dispersions. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology , 68 (11). pp. 1373-1383. ISSN: 2042-7158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jphp.12645