- Module Convener for MPAS Year 1 Module
- Pharmacy Lead on the SCFP Research Ethics Committee
Areas of interest
Dr Hollywood's research interests have primarily focused on obesity by facilitating behaviour change and weight loss maintenance. She has conducted research that has focused on the medical management of obesity, specifically exploring pharmacological and surgical methods in terms of adherence, beliefs and behaviour. More recently Dr Hollywood has focussed on the patient experience in health services, with particular interest in Antimicrobial Resistance and Chronic Pain.
With a wide range of other research interests; using both quantitative and qualitative methods, collaborators and prospective PhD students can email Dr Hollywood directly with initial research proposals for further discussion.
Research centres and groups
- Pharmacy Representative on the School of Chemistry, Food and Pharmacy Ethics Committee (current)
- Editorial Board Member, British Journal of Health Psychology (current)
- Health Service Research and Pharmacy Practice (HSRPP) conference committee (current)
- British Psychological Society's Division of Health Psychology Committee and CPD subcommittee (past)
- Dr Farhan Ahmad, Royal Berkshire Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
- Professor Jane Ogden, University of Surrey.
- Mr Majid Hashemi, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Dr Naomi Winstone, University of Surrey.
- Dr Zoe Wimshurst, AECC University College.
Dr Hollywood is a Health Psychologist within the School of Pharmacy at the University of Reading. She joined the University in June 2016 having previously worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Surrey and a Research Assistant at the IoPPN, Kings College London. Dr Hollywood completed a PhD on people's experiences of taking orlistat, an obesity medication, and has since conducted a range of research including that with students, academics and patients. She has completed two NIHR Research for Patient Benefit funded projects; one exploring a Bariatric Rehabilitation Service and the other exploring the impact of an investment based intervention on bariatric patients.
- Chartered Member and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society.
- Member of the British Psychological Society's Division of Health Psychology.
- Practitioner Psychologist and Health Psychologist, Health and Care Professions Council
- Baker, H. , Hollywood, A. , Waite, P. ORCID: 0000-0002-1967-8028 (2022) Adolescents’ lived experience of panic disorder: an interpretative phenomenological analysis. BMC psychology , 10 ISSN: 2050-7283
- Kalantari, M. , Hollywood, A. , Lim, R. , Hashemi, M. (2020) Mapping the experiences of people with achalasia from initial symptoms to long-term management. Health Expectations ISSN: 1369-7625 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/hex.13160
- Ghouri, F. and Hollywood, A. (2020) Antibiotic prescribing in primary care for urinary tract infections (UTIs) in pregnancy: an audit study. Medical Sciences , 8 (3). ISSN: 2076-3271 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/medsci8030040
- Ghouri, F. , Hollywood, A. , Ryan, K. (2020) ‘There is no choice apart from antibiotics…’: qualitative analysis of views on urinary infections in pregnancy and antimicrobial resistance. Health Expectations , 23 (3). pp. 644-650. ISSN: 1369-7625 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/hex.13044
- Hollywood, A. , McCarthy, D. , Spencely, C. , Winstone, N. (2020) “Overwhelmed at first”: the experience of career development in Early Career Academics. Journal of Further and Higher Education , 44 (7). pp. 998-1012. ISSN: 0309-877X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0309877X.2019.1636213
- Alkandari, M. , Ryan, K. , Hollywood, A. (2019) The experiences of people living with peripheral neuropathy in Kuwait - a process map of the patient journey. Pharmacy , 7 (3). pp 0. ISSN: 2226-4787 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/pharmacy7030127
- Ghouri, F. , Hollywood, A. , Ryan, K. (2019) Urinary tract infections and antibiotic use in pregnancy - qualitative analysis of online forum content. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth , 19 (1). ISSN: 1471-2393 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12884-019-2451-z
- Ghouri, F. , Hollywood, A. , Ryan, K. (2018) A systematic review of non-antibiotic measures for the prevention of urinary tract infections in pregnancy. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth , 18 (1). ISSN: 1471-2393 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12884-018-1732-2
- Nancarrow, A. , Hollywood, A. , Ogden, J. , Hashemi, M. (2018) The role of attachment in body weight gain and weight loss in bariatric patients. Obesity Surgery , 28 (2). pp. 410-414. ISSN: 0960-8923 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11695-017-2796-1
- Hollywood, A. and Ogden, J. (2016) Gaining weight after taking orlistat: a qualitative study of patients at 18-months follow-up. Journal of Health Psychology , 21 (5). pp. 590-598. ISSN: 1359-1053 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1359105314532153
- Hollywood, A. , Ogden, J. , Hashemi, M. (2015) A randomised control trial assessing the impact of an investment based intervention on weight-loss, beliefs and behaviour after bariatric surgery: study protocol. BMC Obesity , 2 ISSN: 2052-9538 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40608-015-0048-2
- Hollywood, A. , Ogden, J. , Pring, C. (2015) The impact of psychological support on psychological outcomes and patients’ experiences of the bariatric service 1 and 2 years after bariatric surgery. Journal of Obesity and Bariatrics , 2 (1). ISSN: 2377-9284 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.13188/2377-9284.1000011
- Ogden, J. , Hollywood, A. , Pring, C. (2015) The impact of psychological support on weight loss post weight loss surgery: a randomised control trial. Obesity Surgery , 25 (3). pp. 500-505. ISSN: 0960-8923 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11695-014-1428-2
- Hollywood, A. , Ogden, J. , Pring, C. (2012) The impact of a bariatric rehabilitation service on weight loss and psychological adjustment - study protocol. BMC Public Health , 12 ISSN: 1471-2458 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-275