The Department of Meteorology at Reading offers a variety of types of online course, including open online courses, short courses and summer schools.
take a meteorology CLASS online
The Department of Meteorology has adapted some of its teaching for learners to study modules online with support from internationally renowned academic staff. Online learners will study over one term in parallel with University of Reading students.
These courses are suitable training for professional meteorologists, consultants, STEM students, graduates and academics seeking to improve their range of skills and knowledge. Applications and enquiries are welcome from people in the UK and abroad.
- An Introduction to Meteorological Measurements
- Tropical Meteorology
- Statistics for Weather and Climate Science
- Climate Services and Climate Impact Modelling
- Introduction to Numerical Modelling of the Atmosphere and Ocean
Open online courses
These free, on-demand courses are delivered on FutureLearn and are open to anyone - with no existing knowledge or experience of meteorology needed.
- Come Rain or Shine: Understanding the Weather
Explore the physical processes driving UK weather systems and tackle practical activities and fieldwork with Dr Sylvia Knight of the Royal Meteorological Society and Dr Pete Inness of the Department of Meteorology.
Investigate the impact of climate change, the research being done to tackle it, and discover what you can do to take meaningful action.
Short courses and summer schools
Short courses and summer schools are designed to train professionals, postgraduate and doctoral graduates as well as early career scientists. Leaders in their fields provide overviews and some of their latest research.
- The Mathematics for Planet Earth Centre for Doctoral Training is running a Virtual Summer School on Forest Verification, 21-25 June 2021.
- The Data Assimilation Research Centre and the National Centre for Earth Observation provide short training courses on data assimilation and other specialised topics in Earth Observation.
- The NCAS Climate Modelling Summer School will run online from 13-24 September 2021 covering the inner workings of climate models, the latest climate modelling research and analysis of climate data. Applications are welcome from advanced PhD students and early career researchers.
- The Walker Academy delivers immersive courses to students, NGOs, Government agencies, academics and research partners. Rooted in the Walker Institute's first-hand experience of implementing interdisciplinary projects across the globe to support climate change adaptation and resilience, these courses develop practical skills and critical insights.
Meteorological masterclassesTopical webinars from the Royal Meteorological Society and the University of Reading provide professional training and development for meteorologists and climate scientists. Join experts presenting their latest research, in this free interactive masterclass series.