The Special Collections (formerly known as the Course Collection i.e. CC) holds copies of essential materials (i.e. Overnight Loan) required for modules taught at the University.
- Where are the Special Collections?
- Finding items held in the Special Collections
- How many Special Collections items can I borrow?
- How long can I borrow Overnight Loan items for?
- Can I renew Overnight Loan items?
- Fines for Overnight Loan items
- Photocopies of reading list materials
- Journals in the Special Collections
- Can't get hold of books on your reading list?
The Special Collections is the triangular-shaped room located between the staircase and sofa area in the LRC.
- Search the Enterprise catalogue to find out if an item is available in the LRC.
- A list of copies will be displayed when you view the Details of the title you need. If a copy is in the Special Collections it will display with the location "Special Collections location".
- Take a note of the Call Number from the catalogue.
- You can collect the item from the shelves. If the book isn't on the shelf, check for recently returned items on the trolleys next to the Self-Service Points.
Please refer to the information on the How many items can I borrow? page.
All items taken from the Special Collections must be issued. There is study space if you do not wish to borrow.
Until 11am the following morning except weekends (and public holidays).
- You can renew Overnight Loan items at the self-check machines or using Enterprise.
- Items with a 'Hold' cannot be renewed.
- During system interruptions, item renewal services will not be available.
Fines accumulate at the rate of RM3 per book per day (or part of a day). You will not be able to borrow until all overdue items are returned and all fines paid.
The Special Collections holds photocopies of articles/chapters recommended by teaching staff. These items are identified on Enterprise by the Call Number prefix: REPRINT followed by a number beginning with A (for example, REPRINT --A123456) and the location 'Special Collections'. These can be borrowed in the same way as other Special Collections items.
A small number of journals are available in the Special Collections. These volumes are listed on Enterprise with the Call Number and the location 'Serials'. These can be borrowed in the same way as other Special Collections materials.
Although it is not Library practice to purchase texts for every student, we recommend that your tutors arrange the following:
- at least one copy is purchased for the Special Collections of course textbooks your tutor recommends you buy yourself
- purchase of about one copy per 10 students of 'essential' reading (one or more of which might be made Overnight or 7-day loan)
If the books that you need always seem to be on loan, you can ask for them to be transferred to the Special Collections for the rest of the term. Please ask at the Information Desk. We also transfer items into the Collection if they have multiple holds.