Why we charge fines
It is important to all our members that they can access material as quickly as possible. Our loan periods and holds systems are designed to circulate a finite number of items as fairly and quickly as possible between around 25, 000 users. We charge fines on some overdue loans to deter anyone from keeping materials longer than allowed and enable others to use them.
Any income from fines is reinvested in the Library.
The following fines are charged on Library items returned late.
80p per day when they have been recalled and are overdue
External card holders are charged 80p per day on the late return of all Standard and Term loan items
Maximum fine £25 per item
7-day loan items (including journals)
80p per day
Maximum fine £25 per item
6-hour loan items (Course Collection)
80p per hour or part of an hour (including hours the Library is closed)
Maximum fine £35 per item
|Items assumed lost||£10|
Library accounts will be blocked if fines are not paid within 7 days of being incurred.
You will be charged for replacement of any lost items. For more information see Charges for lost items.
Be fair and avoid fines!
- Check due dates and renew loans online 24/7 via the link on the Library homepage or the Enterprise catalogue
- Check your University email account regularly for Library messages - you may be asked to return an item before its original due date if someone else wants it
- Print and keep a receipt as a reminder of when the book is due back
- Do not lend your card to anybody else - you are liable for all items on your account returned late
- Return Library materials via the Book Drop to the right of the main entrance whenever the Library is closed
- Return Library materials by post (see contact us below for address details) - please pack them well and use a registered or tracked postal service
If you have enquiries about your loans please contact us as soon as you can.
We aim to charge fines for overdue items in a fair and consistent manner. Fines may be waived or reduced only where extenuating circumstances apply, for example:
- Medical emergency
- Family problems
Written verification, such as a doctor’s note or an email from your tutor / manager, will be required to support a request to waive a fine.
Please contact us or talk to a member of staff at the Ground Floor Information Desk in the URS Building if you wish to discuss a fine.
Methods of payment
Go to the Campus Card Portal to pay fines or charges from your Campus Card Account (not External borrowers). Available 24/7.
If you are paying fines or charges of up to £12, you can use coins in the Fines Payment Machine. The Machine is connected to one of the Self-Service Points on the Ground Floor of the Library. Change is given. The Machine is available anytime the Library is open.
You can also pay fines or charges (of any amount) using cash at the Information Desk on the Ground Floor of the URS Building. During staffed hours only.
Pay fines or charges using your card at the Ground Floor Information Desk in the URS Building. During staffed hours only.
Credit/Debit Card payments
Pay fines or charges using your Credit/Debit card at the Ground Floor Information Desk in the URS Building, or by calling (0118) 378 8770.
Credit/Debit card payments available at the following times only:
- Monday - Thursday, 09:00 - 19:00 (subject to availability 17:00 - 19:00)
- Friday, 10:00 - 19:00
- Saturday and Sunday 09:00 - 17:00
Pay fines or charges of £5 or more at the Ground Floor Information Desk in the URS Building, or by post. To pay by post, please send your cheque (made payable to 'University of Reading') to the Library with your name and Student/Library Card number and details of the fine or charge you are paying.