Why we charge fines
It is important to all our members that they can access material as quickly as possible. Our loan periods and holds systems are designed to circulate a finite number of items as fairly and quickly as possible between around 25,000 users. We charge fines on some overdue loans to deter anyone from keeping materials longer than allowed and enable others to use them.
Any income from fines is reinvested in the Library.
The following fines are charged on Library items returned late.
Standard (6-week loan)
80p per day when they have been recalled and are overdue
Maximum fine £25 per item
Any assumed lost item
|£10 (processing fee per item)|
Library accounts will be blocked if fines are not paid within 7 days of being incurred.
You will be charged for replacement of any lost items. For more information see Charges for lost items.
Be fair and avoid fines!
- Check due dates and renew loans online 24/7 via the link on the Library homepage or the Enterprise catalogue
- Check your University email account regularly for Library messages - you may be asked to return an item before its original due date if someone else wants it
- Keep a reminder of when the book is due back
- Do not lend your card to anybody else - you are liable for all items on your account returned late
- Return Library materials via the Book Drop to the right of the main entrance
- Return Library materials by post (see contact us below for address details) - please pack them well and use a registered or tracked postal service
If you have enquiries about your loans please contact us as soon as you can.
We aim to charge fines for overdue items in a fair and consistent manner. Fines may be waived or reduced only where extenuating circumstances apply, for example:
- Medical emergency
- Family problems
Written verification, such as a doctor’s note or an email from your tutor / manager, will be required to support a request to waive a fine.
Please contact us or talk to a member of staff at the Welcome Desk if you wish to discuss a fine.
Methods of payment
Staff, Students and Associate members (not External borrowers) should go to the Campus Card Portal to pay fines or charges from your Campus Card Account. Available 24/7.
Credit/Debit Card payments
Call us on (0118) 378 8770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details and we will phone you back if you wish to pay charges using your Credit/Debit card.
Credit/Debit card payments can be processed at the following times only:
- Monday - Thursday, 9:00 - 17:00 (subject to availability 17:00 - 19:00)
- Friday, 10:00 - 17:00 (subject to availability 17:00 - 19:00)
- Saturday and Sunday 9:00 - 17:00 (Term time only)