ISLI Transnational Education Programme Director
Foundation Year Programme Director for NUIST Reading Academy
Module Convenor IF0NU1 and IF0NU2
I have been involved in English for Academic Purposes teaching since 2002,with a particular focus on international foundation pathways and transnational education (TNE) contexts.
PhD (University of Pennsylvania)
MA (SOAS University of London)
TESOL Certificate (UCLA)
BA (Brown University)
Senior Fellow the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
Co-convenor of the Transnational Education special interest group for BALEAP (the Global Forum for English for Academic Purposes Professionals)
Co-convenor of the TNE Hub (a community of researchers and practitioners in transnational education)
Editorial Board member of the Inform Journal
Reviewer for the Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education
Wilding, E. (2022). An 'Imagined community': re-imagining students' expectations of academic study. In M. Evans, B. Bond, and A, Ding. (Eds). Innovation, exploration and transformation-Proceedings of the 2019 BALEAP Conference (eBook 318723) (pp. 225-233). Garnet Education.
Li, D. and Wilding, E. (2021). Staff development at a joint Sino-British Institute in China. In V. Tsiligiris, W. Lawton, and C. Hill (Eds). Importing Transnational Education (pp 137-153). Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
Brewer, S. & Wilding, E. (2019). Management roles in EAP teaching: Creating an EAP management network. In M. Gillway (Ed). Proceedings of the 2017 BALEAP Conference: Addressing the state of the union: Working together = learning together (pp 57-63). Reading: Garnet Education.
Wilding, E. & Yeo, H. (2018). The University food transition: what tools can we provide? InForm (18): 16-17. Available online: https://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/inform/InForm_Issue18_2018.pdf
Brewer, S., Copping, E., Huang, J., & Wilding, E. (2018). Social networking and international student integration at University. International Student Experience Journal (6)1: 9-16. Available online: https://issuu.com/chrislima90/docs/vol 6 1 full
Furneaux, C., Wright, C. & Wilding, E. (2015). 'From darkness to light': First experiences in developing and facilitating a MOOC. In J.R. Corbeil, M.E. Corbeil, and B.H. Khan (Eds.). The MOOC Case Book: Case Studies in MOOC Design, Development and Implementation (pp. 337-348). New York: Linus Publications.
Ward, J. and Wilding, E. (2015). Transferable Academic Skills Kit: Research and Online Sources. Reading: Garnet Education.
Manning, A. and Wilding, E. (2015; 2007). Transferable Academic Skills Kit: Presentations. Reading: Garnet Education.
Wilding, E. (2011). EAP: An all-around challenge 6. English Teaching Professional, (74): 16-17.
Wilding, E. (2011). Cite them right - is it an essential referencing guide? Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education (3).
Wilding, E. (2010). Get Prepared: Using web-based technology for international student recruitment and induction activities. InForm (5): 3-4. Available online: https://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/inform/Inform_Issue_5_WEB.pdf
Manning, A. and Wilding, E. (2007). Transferable Academic Skills Kit: Seminars and Tutorials. Reading: Garnet Education.
Selected Conference Papers and Presentations:
‘A comparative study of TEEP and IELTS for transnational education (TNE) students and their relationship to subject study.’ CEAPA-BALEAP 2021 International Conference, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University. May 2021 (with Daguo Li, John Slaght & Ting Ouyang)
‘BALEAP TNE SIG Workshop: Opportunities and challenges of working in partnership.’ BALEAP Conference. University of Glasgow. April 2021 (with Susan Finlay, Jennifer MacDougall & Joanne Shiel)
‘Benefits and impact of a TNE partnership: a case study of a UK-China joint institute.’ TNE Hub Symposium, Kings College London. March 2021 (with Daguo Li)
‘Student Experience in a Post-Mobility Environment.’ British Council THINK TNE Webinar Series 2020: Reshaping UK-East Asia Transnational Education in the face of Covid-19. June 2020 (Invited panelist).
‘Challenges of Covid 19 in relation to TNE provision.’ TNE Hub Open Forum webinar. June 2020.
‘International’ delivery of international foundation programmes: An I2FP model?’ InForm Conference, University of Reading (Plenary Chair). June 2019.
Technology enhanced learning
‘Materials for the Online Global Classroom.’ Queen Mary University of London Language Centre CPD Conference. April 2019.
‘MOOC-topia or MOOC-lear disaster?’ E-learning Symposium, University of Southampton. January 2016.
‘Essay writing on a massive scale: delivering feedback to and through the crowd’. ALT Annual Conference. University of Manchester. September 2015.
‘Designing MOOCs to bridge cultures.’ Intel Education Summit. Istanbul (Invited speaker). November 2014.
‘Establishing global connections to engage international students.’ HEA Annual Conference. Aston University (with Steve Thomas). July 2014
International student transitions
‘An “imagined community”: reimagining students’ expectations of academic study.’ BALEAP Conference. University of Leeds. April 2019.
‘The International Student Food Project.’ RAISE Conference, Sheffield Hallam University (with HuiQi Yeo). September 2018.
'Does social networking work? Lessons from our global community.' Advance HE Teaching and Learning Conference, Aston University. July 2018 (with Sarah Brewer).
- Wilding, E. , eds. (2022) An ‘imagined community’: re-imagining students’ expectations of academic study. In: Evans, M. , Bond, B. , Ding, A. , (eds.) Garnet , Reading. pp. 189-195. ISBN: 9781782608622
- Wilding, E. and Li, D. (2021) Staff development at a joint Sino-British institute in China. In: Tsiligiris, V. , Lawton, W. , Hill, C. , (eds.) Importing Transnational Education. Palgrave Macmillan pp. 137-153. ISBN: 9783030436469 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-43647-6_9
- Wilding, E. and Brewer, S. (2020) Management roles in EAP teaching: creating an EAP management network. (ISBN 9781782606765)
- Brewer, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-3687-6202 , Copping, E. , Huang, J. , Wilding, E. (2018) Social networking and international student integration at university. International Study Experience Journal
- Wilding, E. and Yeo, H. (2018) The university food transition: what tools can we provide?. InForm (18). pp. 16-17.
- Ward, J. , Wilding, E. , Manning, A. , O'Cain, A. (2015) Research and online sources. Transferable Academic Skills Kit , 6. Garnet Education , Reading. pp 32. ISBN: 9781782601814
- Wilding, E. and Manning, A. (2015) Presentations. Transferable Academic Skills Kit , 8. Garnet Education , Reading. pp 32. ISBN: 9781782602750
- Furneaux, C. , Wright, C. , Wilding, E. (2015) From darkness to light: first experiences in developing and facilitating a MOOC. In: Corbeil, J. , Corbeil, M. , Khan, B. , (eds.) The MOOC Casebook: Case Studies in MOOC Design, Development and Implementation. Linus Books , Ronkonkoma, NY. pp. 337-348. ISBN: 9781607975618