- IATEFL TEASIG 'Technology for Teachers in Assessment - the immediate future' Nov 2018
- BALEAP testing roadshow Glasgow May 2018
- BAAL TEASIG Nottingham Trent 'Designing and Assessing Integrated Skills Tests' Apr 2018
- During the autumn and spring terms, my main responsibility is developing and teaching discipline specific academic skills provision for the Academic English Programme (AEP). I currently work with students within Pharmacy, Meteorology and the Henley Business School. In the summer I am course director within the Pre-Sessional English programme (PSE).
- Base Section: Academic English Programme
Areas of interest
- I started teaching English in 2002, coming to the profession relatively late after working in the IT and telecommunications sectors. I taught overseas in Spain, Germany and Poland, in schools, companies and colleges before returning to the UK to work as an ESOL and EFL tutor. From 2013, I have taught English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at the University of Reading. Particular interests include fostering learner autonomy and using technology effectively in and out of the classroom.
- I once spent 6 weeks cycling around Cuba and wish the roads of Reading were as quiet.
- I am currently developing AEP provision to support a new MsC Pharmacy programme and refreshing materials for Chemistry students to better reflect the level of English of students coming from the NUIST Partnership.
Academic qualificationsBSc (Southampton), MSc (Edinburgh), CELTA (IH London), MA Kings College London, FHEA
- Tavakoli, P. ORCID: 0000-0003-0807-3709 , Kendon, G. , Mazhurnaya, S. , Ziomek, A. (2023) Assessment of fluency in the Test of English for Educational Purposes. Language Testing ISSN: 0265-5322