Dr Jake Bishop
Programme director of MSc by Research in Agriculture, Ecology and Environment (2022-)
Module convenor of part 3 and MSc modules Climate Change and Food Systems (AP3A90 and APMA90); Research Methods in and Research Project in Agriculture, Ecology and Environment (APMA110 and APMA111; 2022-) and lecturer on other modules including Crop Physiology, Nutrition and Protection (AP1A29).
Chair of Committee for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, School of Agriculture, Policy & Development
Areas of interest
My research on plant-environment interactions combines physiology and ecology with the aim of improving agricultural productivity and sustainability in a changing climate. My group uses diverse approaches including experimentation in the field and in controlled environments, mathematical modelling, data-analyses, and data synthesis.
- Stuart Edwards. Pests, plants and parasitoids: how does climate variability affect tri-trophic interactions in apple orchards? Primary supervisor. BBSRC CTP in Fruit Crop Research.
- Caitlin McLaughlin. Maximising the environmental benefits of gardens through optimal planting choices and understanding of occupants' engagement. Primary supervisor. BBSRC DTP SCENARIO CASE with Royal Horticultural Society.
- Anisa Aubin. An empirical, data driven, model for wheat cultivars and optimisation for future climate scenarios. Co-supervisor. Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board.
- Arisede Chisaka. Addressing the challenge of combined heat and drought stress for cereal production. Primary supervisor. BBSRC DTP FoodBioSystems CASE with Syngenta.
- Dr Richard Gantlett. High biomass rotation and its impacts on soil health, weed burden and crop production (2014-2021, Co-supervisor)
- Dr Caroline Harkness. Optimising agriculture for a changing climate: which farming practices confer stability of food production and farm income? (2018-2022, Primary supervisor)
- Raising the Pulse: systems analysis of the environmental, nutritional and health benefits of pulse-enhanced foods. I am responsible for work on understanding sources of yield variability in faba bean and benefits of faba bean for pollinating insects. UKRI Transforming Food Systems (2022-2025, Co-I)
- Future farms: redesigning crop landscapes. I am providing expertise in crop-climate interactions. The project aims to improve advice for farmers about climate change risks and environmental impacts of crop production. STFC Food Network+ (2022-2023, Co-I)
- Simfarm2030: optimising wheat cultivar selection in a changing climate. I provided expertise on crop-climate interactions in a project that developed a model for existing and new UK wheat cultivars in response to current and future climate conditions. STFC Food Network+ (2019, PI)
- Developing a network to improve productivity and nutritional value of Kenyan grain amaranth. I provided crop science expertise in a project that collected preliminary data on genetic and environmental factors affecting grain amaranth production and nutritional value. Funded by GCRF (2018-2019, Co-I)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Early Career Champion for Association of Applied Biologists and member of specialist group for Cropping and the Environment
- Harkness, C. , Areal, F. , Semenov, M. , Senapati, N. , Shield, I. , Bishop, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-2114-230X (2022) Towards stability of food production and farm income in a variable climate. Ecological Economics ISSN: 0921-8009
- Buck, N. ORCID: 0000-0002-6709-8677 , Fountain, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-1317-4830 , Potts, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-2045-980X , Bishop, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-2114-230X , Garratt, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-0196-6013 (2022) The effects of non‐crop habitat on spotted wing drosophila (Drosophila suzukii) abundance in fruit systems: a meta‐analysis. Agricultural and Forest Entomology ISSN: 1461-9555 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/afe.12531
- Bishop, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-2114-230X , Garratt, M. , Nakagawa, S. (2022) Animal pollination increases stability of crop yield across spatial scales. Ecology Letters ISSN: 1461-0248 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ele.14069
- Monticelli, L. , Bishop, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-2114-230X , Desneux, N. , Gurr, G. , Jaworski, C. , McLean, A. , Thomine, E. , Vanbergen, A. (2022) Multiple global change impacts on parasitism and biocontrol services in future agricultural landscapes. Advances in Ecological Research , 65 pp. 245-304. ISSN: 0065-2504 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/bs.aecr.2021.10.002
- Bishop, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-2114-230X and Nakagawa, S. (2021) Quantifying crop pollinator dependence and its heterogeneity using multi-level meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Ecology ISSN: 0021-8901 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1365-2664.13830
- Harkness, C. , Areal, F. , Semenov, M. , Senapati, N. , Shield, I. , Bishop, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-2114-230X (2021) Stability of farm income: the role of agricultural diversity and agri-environment scheme payments. Agricultural Systems , 187 ISSN: 0308-521X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2020.103009
- Grundy, M. , Momanyi, D. , Holland, C. , Kawaka, F. , Tan, S. , Salim, M. , Boyd, B. , Bajka, B. , Mulet-Cabero, A. , Bishop, J. , Owino, W. (2020) Effects of grain source and processing methods on the nutritional profile and digestibility of grain amaranth. Journal of Functional Foods , 72 ISSN: 1756-4646 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2020.104065
- Bishop, J. , Garratt, M. , Breeze, T. (2020) Yield benefits of additional pollination to faba bean vary with cultivar, scale, yield parameter and experimental method. Scientific Reports , 10 ISSN: 2045-2322 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-58518-1
- Harkness, C. , Semenov, M. , Areal, F. , Senapati, N. , Trnka, M. , Balek, J. , Bishop, J. (2020) Adverse weather conditions for UK wheat production under climate change. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology , 282-283 ISSN: 0168-1923 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2019.107862
- Bishop, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-2114-230X , Jones, H. , O'Sullivan, D. ORCID: 0000-0003-4889-056X , Potts, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-2045-980X (2017) Elevated temperature drives a shift from selfing to outcrossing in the insect pollinated legume, faba bean (Vicia faba). Journal of Experimental Botany , 68 (8). pp. 2055-2063. ISSN: 0022-0957 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erw430
- Settele, J. , Bishop, J. , Potts, S. (2016) Climate change impacts on pollination. Nature Plants , 2 (7). ISSN: 2055-0278 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nplants.2016.92
- Bishop, J. , Potts, S. , Jones, H. (2016) Susceptibility of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) to heat stress during floral development and anthesis. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science , 202 (6). pp. 508-517. ISSN: 1439-037X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jac.12172
- Bishop, J. , Jones, H. , Lukac, M. , Potts, S. (2016) Insect pollination reduces yield loss following heat stress in faba bean (Vicia faba L.). Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment , 220 pp. 89-96. ISSN: 0167-8809 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2015.12.007