- 8th January 2008. Learning through Assessment
Teaching and assessment of curriculum skills.
- 18th December 2007. Improving the Student Work Placement Year.
How to entice students and employers to work placements.
- 6th September 2007. Bioscience Representatives Forum.
Engage – a new interactive website for life science undergraduate students
- 2nd July 2007. International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 4th Annual Conference, Sydney.
Research skills audit tool:an online resource to map research skills within undergraduate curricula
- 19th June 2007. Science Teaching and Learning Conference.
Research Skills Audit Tool: an online resource to map research skills within undergraduate curricula.
- 1st June 2007. University of Chester's Teaching Conference.
CETL-AURS Research skill auditing
- March 2007.
UROP at the University of Reading
- 11th January 2007. Centre for Career Management Skills Conference:What can the curriculum do for careers?
Skills Mapping:Linking curriculum development and employability.
- 1st November 2006. Careers Advisory Service.
CEL-AURS Skills mapping project.
- 6th September 2006. Bioscience Representatives Forum.
Using Profile for research skills mapping.
Dr Gillian Rose
- Placement co-ordinator for the School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, supporting students in all aspects of applying for 12 month work placements.
- Organisation of annual SAPD Careers Fair.
Areas of interest
- Crop physiology, particularly in relation to climate change
- Pedagogy, including feedback and using technology to enhance learning
- Student work placements and the benefits
My research interests are in crop physiology, particularly environmental (including climate change) impacts on crop growth and development. More recently, I have used crop modelleling techniques to assess the impact of a range of climate change scenarios (see publications for more details).
I am also heavily involved in pedagogic research, working closely with colleagues throughout the University of Reading and the UK, including the Higher Education Academy. I am particularly interested in assignment feedback and the use of technology to assist this.
TeachingI co-ordinate a number of modules in the School of Agriculture, Policy and Development. I use my pedagogic research to provide a number of methods of giving feedback to my students, and often use video feedback which enables students to access detailed feedback anytime, anywhere.
- Schaffert, E. , Lukac, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-8535-6334 , Percival, G. , Rose, G. (2022) The influence of biochar soil amendment on tree growth and soil quality: a review for the arboricultural industry. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry , 48 (3). pp. 176-202. ISSN: 19355297 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.48044/jauf.2022.014
- Banks, J. ORCID: 0000-0001-6719-344X , Percival, G. , Rose, G. (2019) Variations in seasonal drought tolerance rankings. Trees , 33 (4). pp. 1063-1072. ISSN: 0931-1890 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00468-019-01842-5
- Rose, G. , Osborne, T. , Greatrex, H. , Wheeler, T. (2016) Impact of progressive global warming on the global-scale yield of maize and soybean. Climatic Change , 134 (3). pp. 417-428. ISSN: 0165-0009 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10584-016-1601-9
- Arnell, N. , Brown, S. , Gosling, S. , Gottschalk, P. , Hinkel, J. , Huntingford, C. , Lloyd-Hughes, B. , Lowe, J. , Nicholls, R. , Osborn, T. , Osborne, T. , Rose, G. , Smith, P. , Wheeler, T. , Zelazowski, P. (2016) The impacts of climate change across the globe: a multi-sectoral assessment. Climatic Change , 134 (3). pp. 457-474. ISSN: 1573-1480 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10584-014-1281-2
- Warren, R. , Lowe, J. , Arnell, N. , Hope, C. , Berry, P. , Brown, S. , Gambhir, A. , Gosling, S. , Nicholls, R. , O’Hanley, J. , Osborn, T. , Osborne, T. , Price, J. , Raper, S. , Rose, G. , Vanderwal, J. (2013) The AVOID programme’s new simulations of the global benefits of stringent climate change mitigation. Climatic Change , 120 (1-2). pp. 55-70. ISSN: 0165-0009 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10584-013-0814-4
- Arnell, N. , Lowe, J. , Brown, S. , Gosling, S. , Gottschalk, P. , Hinkel, J. , Lloyd-Hughes, B. , Nicholls, R. , Osborn, T. , Osborne, T. , Rose, G. , Smith, P. , Warren, R. (2013) A global assessment of the effects of climate policy on the impacts of climate change. Nature Climate Change , 3 pp. 512-519. ISSN: 1758-678X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nclimate1793
- Osborne, T. , Rose, G. , Wheeler, T. (2013) Variation in the global-scale impacts of climate change on crop productivity due to climate model uncertainty and adaptation. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology , 170 pp. 183-194. ISSN: 0168-1923 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2012.07.006
- Rose, G. and Cameron, R. (2009) Chill unit models for blackcurrant (Ribes nigrum L.) cultivars 'Ben Gairn', 'Ben Hope' and 'Ben Tirran'. Scientia Horticulturae , 122 (4). pp. 654-657. ISSN: 0304-4238 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2009.06.029
- Percival, . and Fraser, . (2007) The influence of commercial film-forming polymers on reducing salt spray injury in evergreen oak (Quercus ilex L.) and laurel (Prunus laurocerasus L.). Journal of Arboriculture and Urban Forestry , 33 (3). pp. 185-192.
- Fraser, . , Crook, . , Park, . (2007) From principles of science to publishing: a new interactive resource for bioscience undergraduates. pp. 239-240.
- Fraser, . , Crook, . , Park, . (2007) Research skills audit tool: An online resource to map research skills within undergraduate curricula. pp. 58.
- Fraser, . , Crook, . , Park, . (2007) A tool for mapping research skills in undergraduate curricula. Bioscience Education e-Journal , 9
- Percival, G. and Fraser, G. (2005) Use of sugars to improve root growth and increase transplant success of Birch (Betula pendual Roth). Journal of Arboriculture , 31 (2). pp. 66-77.
- Percival, G. , Fraser, G. , Barnes, S. (2004) Soil injections of carbohydrates improve fine root growth of established urban trees. Arboricultural Journal , 28 (1-2). pp. 95-101. ISSN: 2168-1074 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03071375.2004.9747404
- Percival, G. , Fraser, G. , Oxenham, G. (2003) Foliar salt tolerance of Acer genotypes using chlorophyll fluorescence. Journal of Arboriculture , 29 (2). pp. 61-65.
- Fraser, G. and Percival, G. (2003) The influence of biostimulants on growth and vitality of three urban tree species following transplanting. Arboricultural Journal , 27 (1). pp. 43-57. ISSN: 2168-1074 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03071375.2003.9747361
- Percival, G. and Fraser, G. (2002) The influence of powdery mildew infection on photosynthesis, chlorophyll fluorescence, leaf chlorophyll and carotenoid content of three woody plant species. Arboricultural Journal , 26 (4). pp. 333-346. ISSN: 2168-1074 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03071375.2002.9747348