Professor Irem Dikmen
Areas of interest
Professor Dikmen carries out research at the interface of engineering, management, and information sciences. Her research interests relate to construction project management, mainly risk management. She combines theories and methods from various disciplines to analyze complexity, risk and resilience in projects. She is also using the strategy lens and systems thinking to explore dynamics of the construction business, engineering project organizations and particularly, mega construction projects. She conducts research to explore actuality of projects and develop decision-support frameworks/methods/tools in collaboration with industrial partners and government institutions. Based on her professional experience within the construction industry as a consultant in several construction projects, her vision has been to carry out constructive research that demonstrates added value/benefits for the industry and communities.
Research centres and groupsUniversity of Reading Organisation, People and Technology Research Group
Professor Dikmen joined University of Reading on 2022 as a professor of Construction Management and Engineering. She was a professor in the Civil Engineering Department at the Middle East Technical University (METU) between 2001-2022. She has over 20 years’ of experience in construction management education, research, policy and consultancy.
She has published over 70 academic papers in journals such as ASCE Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE Management in Engineering, Automation in Construction, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management and International Journal of Project Management as well as over 80 international conference papers. She received 2021 Eschenbach Award from American Society of Engineering with her co-authored paper published in Engineering Management Journal on uncertainty mapping.As of 2022, she has supervised 15 PhD students. She has lead several national and international research, development and innovation projects mainly on project risk management, digitalisation and development of decision support systems. She has worked in international collaborative projects with scholars from UK (University of Reading, Salford and Oxford Brookes), Germany (TU Berlin), USA (Carnegie Mellon University, University of Michigan, Illinois Institute of Technology and University of Virginia) and UAE (American University of Sharjah). She has been extensively reviewing papers for reputable journals. She received “2020 Outstanding Reviewer Award” from ASCE Construction Engineering and Management Journal. She is a member of Editorial Board of Engineering Project Organization Journal and Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Smart and Sustainable Built Environment.
Professor Dikmen has been Vice President of METU responsible from research and development, knowledge transfer and strategic planning during 2008-2016. As the coordinator of METU Office of Sponsored Projects, she was involved in the preparation of several project proposals and secured funding of more than 20 million USD to set up new research initiatives and centers in METU. She worked in several commissions in Higher Education Board and Technological and Scientific Research Council of Turkey to initiate new funding schemes, especially new programmes to foster university-industry collaboration. She worked as a member of Executive Board of METU Technopark during 2013-2016 and has vast amount of experience in managing knowledge transfer schemes.
She has been giving consultancy services to construction companies and government institutions about project risk management and contract management. She acted as a member of Dispute Adjudication Boards of several international construction projects and is experienced in dispute resolution and claim management.
Professor Dikmen’s publications can be retrieved from
- PhD in Civil Engineering (Construction Engineering and Management specialisation), Middle East Technical University, 2001
- MSc in Civil Engineering (Construction Engineering and Management specialisation), Middle East Technical University, 1996
- BSc in Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, 1994
- Bilgin, G. , Dikmen, I. ORCID: 0000-0002-6988-7557 , Birgonul, M. , Ozorhon, B. (2022) A decision support system for project portfolio management in construction companies. International Journal of Information Technology and Decision Making ISSN: 0219-6220 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0219622022500821
- Green, S. ORCID: 0000-0003-1660-5592 and Dikmen, I. ORCID: 0000-0002-6988-7557 (2022) Narratives of project risk management: from scientific rationality to the discursive nature of identity work. Project Management Journal ISSN: 1938-9507 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/87569728221124496
- Bilgin, G. , Erol, H. , Atasoy, G. , Dikmen, I. ORCID: 0000-0002-6988-7557 , Birgonul, M. (2022) Exploring pattern of complexity in mega construction projects. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business ISSN: 1753-8378 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJMPB-03-2022-0064
- Atasoy, G. , Ertaymaz, U. , Dikmen, I. ORCID: 0000-0002-6988-7557 , Birgonul, M. (2022) Empowering risk communication: use of visualizations to describe project risks. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management , 148 (5). ISSN: 0733-9364 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0002265
- Dikmen, I. , Atasoy, G. , Erol, H. , Kaya, H. , Birgonul, M. (2022) A decision-support tool for risk and complexity assessment and visualization in construction projects. Computers in Industry , 141 ISSN: 0166-3615 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compind.2022.103694
- Erol, H. , Dikmen, I. , Atasoy, G. , Birgonul, M. (2022) An analytic network process model for risk quantification of mega construction projects. Expert Systems with Applications , 191 ISSN: 0957-4174 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2021.116215
- Tanriverdi, C. , Atasoy, G. , Dikmen, I. ORCID: 0000-0002-6988-7557 , Birgonul, M. (2021) Casual mapping to explore emergence of construction disputes. Journal of Civil Engineering and Management , 27 (5). pp. 288-302. ISSN: 1822-3605 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3846/jcem.2021.14900
- Okudan, O. , Budayan, C. , Dikmen, I. ORCID: 0000-0002-6988-7557 (2021) A knowledge-based risk management tool for construction projects using case-based reasoning. Expert Systems with Applications , 173 ISSN: 0957-4174 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2021.114776
- Mirshekarlou, B. , Budayan, C. , Dikmen, I. ORCID: 0000-0002-6988-7557 , Birgonul, M. (2021) Development of a knowledge-based tool for waste management of prefabricated steel structure projects. Journal of Cleaner Production , 323 ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.129140
- Ayhan, M. , Dikmen, I. ORCID: 0000-0002-6988-7557 , Birgonul, M. (2021) Predicting the occurrence of construction disputes using machine learning techniques. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management , 147 (4). ISSN: 1943-7862 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0002027