University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings

Close up of calculator, pen and a piece of paper with financial information

Tuition fees

PhD fees vary according to where you come from, whether you study full-time or part-time and where you are based during your degree.

Alumni discounts

If you've previously completed a degree with us, you’ll automatically receive our alumni discount (£1,500 off the cost of your tuition fees).

Studentships for original research proposals in classics

The University of Reading is a member of the AHRC South West and Wales Doctoral Training Partnership (SWW DTP), which awards studentships and also funds a wealth of support and training activities for PhD students in the Department of Classics. 

Learn more about AHRC SWW DTP funding

Visiting fellowships

We welcome applications from postdoctoral scholars who wish to hold British Academy, Leverhulme Trust or Newton International fellowships in the Department.

We also welcome visiting scholars who wish to spend a period of time at the University of Reading and who have their own funding.

For more information, contact Professor Ian Rutherford by emailing

Studentships for PhD students

The University's Doctoral and Researcher College holds information about studentships and other funding available for postgraduate study.

Studentships are available for both UK and international students.

Male student sitting at table in the library studying on laptop

Doctoral loans

You may be eligible to apply for a government-funded doctoral loan to fund your PhD.
Pair of feet with yellow shoes standing on tarmac, three arrows poitning away from feet on the tarmac

Alternative sources of funding

The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding is a database of less well-known sources of doctoral funding.

Blue on black University of Reading Campus Jobs service logo

Supplement your income

You might consider part-time or casual work as a way to supplement your income during your studies. There are often vacancies at the University, which you can apply for through Campus Jobs.