- Professor of Inorganic Chemistry
- Head of Spectroelectrochemistry.
Areas of interest
- Spectroelectrochemistry – application and development of new cells: 2DIR, VCD, ps-ns TRIR, LT OTTLE, TA, RR, FIR. Successful spinout commercial activities. Self-funded PhD positions.
- Spectroelectrochemistry in ionic liquids.
- Unusual oxidation states of organometallic compounds and extended redox series.
- Photoinduced electron and energy transfer in coordination chemistry.
- Molecular wires and switches.
- Photo-assisted redox catalysis.
- Activation of carbon dioxide via proton coupled electron transfer. Group-6 and 7 metal complexes as catalyst precursors.
- Infrared labels for electron transfer in DNA-Ru(diimine) systems.
Read about spectroelectrochemistry
Research centres and groupsProfessor Hartl is part of the Biomedical, Molecular and Analytical Chemistry research group.
Learn more about our research groups