Dr Philippa Cranwell
- Associate Professor of Organic Chemistry
- University Director of Foundation Studies
- University Teaching Fellow
- Undergraduate Admissions Tutor.
Areas of interestDr Cranwell's research interests include synthesis, catalysis, natural products, synthetic methodology, flow chemistry, and anion transport.
Research centres and groupsDr Cranwell is part of the Biomedical, Molecular and Analytical Chemistry research group.
Learn more about our research groups
BackgroundDr Cranwell was appointed as a Lecturer in April 2017. Prior to that she was appointed as a Teaching Fellow in Organic Chemistry, starting in October 2013. Prior to this she was a postdoctoral research assistant in the group of Professor Erick M Carreira at ETH Zürich and worked towards the synthesis of polyhalogenated natural products.
She undertook her PhD studies under the supervision of Professor Steven V Ley at the University of Cambridge and worked towards the synthesis of a complex natural product. She also helped to develop the use of TeflonAF-2400 gas permeable membrane to allow for the synthesis of pyrroles using gaseous ammonia in a continuous flow process.
Prior to this, she pursued her undergraduate studies at the University of Southampton and spent six months undertaking a research project at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore with Professor Roderick W Bates. During the break between finishing her PhD studies and starting her postdoctoral work, she undertook a short research project within the Gale Group at the University of Southampton.
- Cranwell, P. (2020) Recent Advances towards the Inclusion of Flow Chemistry Within the Undergraduate Practical Class Curriculum. SynOpen ISSN: 2509-9396
- Cranwell, P. and Whiteside, K. (2020) Investigation into the semantic density and semantic gravity wave profile of teachers when discussing electrophilic aromatic substitution (SEAr). Journal of Chemical Education ISSN: 0021-9584 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.0c00571
- Cranwell, P. and Page, E. (2020) Assessing final-year practical work through group projects; A further study. New Directions in the Teaching of Physical Sciences , 15 (1). ISSN: 2051-3615 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.29311/ndtps.v0i15.3251
- Cranwell, P. , Edwards, M. , Haxton, K. , Hyde, J. , Page, E. , Plana, D. , Sedghi, G. , Wright, J. (2019) Chinese students’ expectations versus reality when studying on a UK-China transnational chemistry degree program. New Directions in the Teaching of Physical Sciences , 14 (1). ISSN: 2051-3615 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.29311/ndtps.v0i14.3325
- Cranwell, P. , Davis, F. , Elliott, J. , McKendrick, J. , Page, E. , Spillman, M. (2017) Encouraging independent thought and learning in first year practical classes. New Directions in the Teaching of Physical Sciences , 12 (1). ISSN: 2051-3615
- Cranwell, P. , Page, E. , Squires, A. (2017) Assessing final-year practical work through group projects. Practice and Evidence of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education , 12 (3). pp. 494-504. ISSN: 1750-8428
- Cranwell, P. , Harwood, L. , Moody, C. , eds. (2017) Experimental organic chemistry. Wiley-Blackwell pp 688. ISBN: 9781119952398
- Cook, M. and Cranwell, P. , eds. (2017) Workbook in organic chemistry. Workbooks in Chemistry Oxford University Press , Oxford. pp 128. ISBN: 9780198729518
- Cranwell, P. and Russell, A. (2016) A hydrazine-free Wolff–Kishner reaction suitable for an undergraduate laboratory. Journal of Chemical Education , 93 (5). pp. 949-952. ISSN: 0021-9584 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.5b00954
- Cranwell, P. , Russell, A. , Smith, C. (2016) Methyl hydrazinocarboxylate as a practical alternative to hydrazine in the Wolff–Kishner reaction. Synlett , 27 (1). pp. 131-135. ISSN: 0936-5214 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0035-1560805
- Nouga, A. , Ndom, J. , Mpondo, E. , Nyobe, J. , Njoya, A. , Meva’a, L. , Cranwell, P. , Howell, J. , Harwood, L. , Wansi, J. (2016) New furoquinoline alkaloid and flavanone glycoside derivatives from the leaves of Oricia suaveolens and Oricia renieri (Rutaceae). Natural Product Research , 30 (3). pp. 305-310. ISSN: 1478-6419 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14786419.2015.1057727
- Cranwell, P. , Peterson, A. , Littlefield, B. , Russell, A. (2015) An operationally simple sonogashira reaction for an undergraduate organic chemistry laboratory class. Journal of Chemical Education ISSN: 0021-9584 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.5b00030
- Hiscock, J. , Sambrook, M. , Cranwell, P. , Watts, P. , Vincent, J. , Xuereb, D. , Wells, N. , Raja, R. , Gale, P. (2014) Tripodal molecules for the promotion of phosphoester hydrolysis. Chemical Communications , 50 (47). pp. 6217-6220. ISSN: 1359-7345 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c4cc00333k
- Browne, D. , O'Brien, M. , Koos, P. , Cranwell, P. , Polyzos, A. , Ley, S. (2012) Continuous-flow processing of gaseous ammonia using a Teflon AF-2400 tube-in-tube reactor: synthesis of thioureas and in-line titrations. Synlett , 23 (9). pp. 1402-1406. ISSN: 1437-2096 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0031-1290963
- Cranwell, P. , O'Brien, M. , Browne, D. , Koos, P. , Polyzos, A. , Peña-López, M. , Ley, S. (2012) Flow synthesis using gaseous ammonia in a Teflon AF-2400 tube-in-tube reactor: Paal–Knorr pyrrole formation and gas concentration measurement by inline flow titration. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry , 10 pp. 5774-5779. ISSN: 1477-0520 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c2ob25407g
- Cranwell, P. , Hiscock, J. , Haynes, C. , Light, M. , Wells, N. , Gale, P. (2012) Anion recognition and transport properties of sulfamide-, phosphoric triamide- and thiophosphoric triamide-based receptors. Chemical Communications , 49 pp. 874-876. ISSN: 1359-7345 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C2CC38198B