Areas of interest
- Late Iron Age and early Roman archaeology
- Urban archaeology
- Excavation methodology and training
- Medieval ecclesiastical architecture.
Nick works as Project Assistant for Silchester Town Life project, combining overall site supervision for the field school and post-excavation analysis of the late Iron Age and Early Roman stratigraphy. He has participated in the field school since his first year as a Reading undergraduate in 1999 and as staff member since 2001.
BackgroundPrior to his current role, Nick worked for 12 years with commercial archaeological units in Oxford and Cambridge. During this time he coordinated numerous rural and urban excavations, including projects such as Heathrow Terminal 5, the A11 widening in Suffolk, and in Winchester, Cirencester and Oxford. He has also supervised on research projects in Jordan, Crete and Austria, and worked on excavations in the Hebrides and northern France.
- BA, University of Reading.
- Finlayson, B., Mithen, S., Najjar, M., Smith, S., Pankhurst, N. and Yeomans, L. (2011) Architecture, sedentism, and social complexity at Pre-Pottery Neolithic A WF16, Southern Jordan. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, 108 (20). pp. 8183-8188. doi:10.1073/pnas.1017642108
- Mithen, S., Finlayson, B., Najjar, M., Jenkins, E., Smith , S., Hemsley, S., Maricevic, D., Pankhurst, N.,Yeomans, L. and Al-Almarat, H. (2010) Excavations at the PPNA site of WF16: a report on the 2008 season. Annual of the Department of Antiquities of Jordan (53). pp. 115-126. ISSN 0449-1564
- Fulford, M. , Clarke, A. , Durham, E. , Pankhurst, N. (2020) Silchester Insula IX: the Claudio-Neronian occupation of the Iron Age oppidum. The early Roman occupation at Silchester Insula IX. Britannia Monograph Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies (33). , London. pp 682. ISBN: 9780907764472 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5284/1076947
- Fulford, M. , Clarke, A. , Durham, E. , Pankhurst, N. (2018) Late iron age Calleva: the pre-conquest occupation at Silchester Insula IX. Britannia Monograph Series , 32. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies , London. pp 552. ISBN: 9780907764458 (Silchester Roman Town: The Insula IX Town Life Project: Volume 3)
- Van Zwieten, C. , Cook, S. , Voss, J. , Fulford, M. , Pankhurst, N. , Barnett, C. (2017) Waste disposal in late Iron Age and early Roman Silchester: a geochemical comparison of pits, post holes, ditches and wells in Insula IX. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports , 15 pp. 1-7. ISSN: 2352-409X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jasrep.2017.06.044
- Mithen, S. , Wicks, K. , Pirie, A. , Riede, F. , Lane, C. , Banerjea, R. , Cullen, V. , Gittins, M. , Pankhurst, N. (2015) A Lateglacial archaeological site in the far north-west of Europe at Rubha Port an t-Seilich, Isle of Islay, western Scotland: Ahrensburgian-style artefacts, absolute dating and geoarchaeology. Journal of Quaternary Science , 30 (5). pp. 396-416. ISSN: 0267-8179 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jqs.2781
- Finlayson, B. , Mithen, S. , Najjar, M. , Smith, S. , Maricevic, D. , Pankhurst, N. , Yeomans, L. (2011) Architecture, sedentism, and social complexity at Pre-Pottery Neolithic A WF16, Southern Jordan. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America , 108 (20). pp. 8183-8188. ISSN: 0027-8424 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1017642108