Internal, open access

Frequently asked questions

About the University of Reading's

Counselling & Wellbeing service

The Counselling and Wellbeing service is part of Student & Applicants Services based in the Carrington building on the Whiteknights campus.

Counsellors and mental health advisors work throughout the year (not just during university term times) to help students manage a wide range of issues and to ensure that the impact of any problems on their academic progress is minimised.

The Counsellors and mental health advisors who work in the service are all very experienced and are used to working with students studying at all levels and from all nationalities and cultures. They know and understand the problems that students face and are able to provide valuable independent and confidential support.

Our service is open to all currently registered students (undergraduate or postgraduate) at the University and is free of charge. If you want to know more, just check out the frequently asked questions below: 

Section A: Seeing a Counsellor or Mental Health Advisor

Section B: All about appointments  

Section C: What issues can Counsellors/Mental Health Advisors help with?

Section A: Seeing a Counsellor or Mental Health Advisor:

1. How can I contact the Counselling & Wellbeing service?

You can get in touch with the Counselling & Wellbeing service by calling in during Reception opening hours: 9 - 5 on weekdays (10 -4 for new registrations), or by email or telephone.

Counselling and Wellbeing is based in room 106, first floor, Carrington Building, Whiteknights campus, Reading RG6 6UA.

Our email address is:

Telephone: 0118 378 4216/4218

 2. When is the service open?

The Counselling and Wellbeing service is open throughout the year on weekdays between 9 - 5 and 9 - 4.30 on Fridays. (Opening hours may reduce outside term time.) The service is closed at weekends, on public holidays and University closure days.

If you want to register with the service, please call in to the office between 10 - 4 on any weekday and fill out a student registration form.

 3. How do I book an appointment to see a Counsellor or mental health advisor?

If you want to arrange to have counselling or mental health support while you are a student at Reading University, you need to register with the service in person. Go to the Counselling and Wellbeing Reception in room 106, first floor of the Carrington building and let the administrators  know you want to see someone. They will explain how the service works and how you can be supported. Filling out a registration form takes about 15 minutes: you will be asked to give basic contact information and some background about why you would like to see a Counsellor or mental health advisor.

Once you have registered you will be given a welcome pack with information about the service and a confidential email address which you can use (if you want to) to ask the Counsellors/advisors for information while you are waiting for your initial consultation.

When an appointment is available, we will get in touch with you (usually by phone) to offer an appointment time.

If you have previously registered with us in any academic year and want to see the same or another Counsellor, just call in to the Reception to arrange an appointment. If you have been to the Service in a previous academic year, you will need to re-register before we can arrange an appointment for you.

If you are unable to come in to register at the Counselling and Wellbeing reception in person, it is possible to provide contact details by phone (0118-378 4216) but you will need to come in, in person to fill in our registration form. You will meet with one of the Counselling & Wellbeing administrators who are highly experienced and can provide detailed guidance on how best to access the support available.  

 4.  Do I have to pay to see a Counsellor or mental health advisor

The Counselling & Wellbeing service is free of charge to all currently registered students. Students who have suspended are also able to access limited support to help them with their return to study. 

 5. What do I do if I need help when the service is closed?

The Counselling & Wellbeing service is open and offers appointments between 9 - 5 on weekdays. If you need urgent support outside this time, you should contact one of the following:

Your doctor/GP practice. If you are registered with the University Medical practice in Northcourt Avenue, the number is: 0118 987 4551. Otherwise, please contact the doctor with whom you are registered.

       Common point of entry to Mental Health Services (Crisis): 0300 365 0300

       The Samaritans: 08457 909090

       Non-urgent NHS medical help/advice: 111

 6. Do I need to be referred to the Counselling & Wellbeing service?

There is no need to be referred to the service. You can self-refer and simply call in to register and request an appointment. Some students are referred to us - by doctors, their tutor or another academic or family.

 7. How long will it be before I can see a Counsellor or mental health advisor?

There is sometimes a short wait for your initial consultation - particularly at the busy times of the year - for example, prior to and during exams. We aim to book appointments as quickly as possible - but this does depend on your being able to come for the appointment offered. When you register with us, we will ask you when you are available, so make sure you can access your timetable when you come to register.

 8. What do I do if I want to see a Counsellor soon?

The Counselling & Wellbeing service does not offer emergency appointments or 'drop-in' appointments. If you feel your health is being badly affected, please get in touch with your doctor immediately. All our appointments are pre-booked, in advance. If you need to speak with someone very urgently, please let our administrators know and they may be able to arrange a short wellbeing consultation for you. These are normally about 10 minutes and enable you to be given information by one of the team.

9. Can I choose my Counsellor or mental health advisor?

 When you register, do let us know if you have a strong preference about seeing either a male or female Counsellor or mental health advisor. However do be aware that this can sometimes mean you have a slightly longer wait for an appointment - our male Counsellor works part time at the University.

If you have seen a Counsellor before - for example in a previous year - you will often be offered further appointments with that Counsellor. If you would rather see someone different, just let us know.

The team are all highly experienced and work across most areas. Occasionally, however, students will be referred to another Counsellor or advisor who has particular expertise.

For students who don't want to wait to see the University Counsellors, there are other counselling and support options outside the University, however in some cases there may be a waiting list for an appointment:

Berkshire Counselling Centre:

BCC provides a confidential service to its clients, either by referral from your GP or local agency. Anyone over the age of 18 can make an appointment directly for an assessment interview. For more information, please Telephone: 0118 9787879 (between 10am - 2pm).

No. 5

Free Community Counselling service for young people age 11-24.

Contact: 01189015668

or e-mail

Talking Therapies

Talking Therapies works as part of the NHS to providing wellbeing, telephone support, computerised cbt, cbt therapy and counselling, workshops and informational support. As long as they are registered with a local GP, students can self-refer to Talking Therapies. Alternatively, students can be referred to the service by their GP or healthcare professional.

Contact: 0300 365 2000

Text 'Talk' and your postcode to 07500 15968

 10. Do you employ any male Counsellors or mental health advisors?

Yes, we have male mental health advisors and Counsellors. Some of our staff work part- time and are only in on specific weekdays.

11. Will people judge me for using the service?

You shouldn't worry about contacting the Counselling & Wellbeing service: many students access the counselling and mental health support each year. The feedback they give us underlines the effectiveness of the support we provide. When asked for their views at the end of therapy, students described their experience of the service as: wonderful, supportive, calming, reassuring, professional, refreshing, informative, constructive, approachable, worthwhile, confidence building and helpful. If you feel that talking with a Counsellor or mental health advisor would be beneficial, please do come in to see us as soon as possible. The sooner you come in - the sooner we can start to help you.  

 12. Are the staff you employ professionally qualified?

All our staff are professionally qualified, highly experienced and accredited. They have extensive experience of working with students and know and understand the problems they have to deal with.

 13. Do you follow ethical guidelines?

We follow the professional guidelines as established by professional bodies British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the British Psychological Society (BPS).

14. What kind of issues can I discuss with a Counsellor or mental health advisor?

We see students with a wide range of clinical, developmental and academic problems including many of the following issues: abuse, anxiety, bereavement, crime, depression, disability, drugs, eating disorders, family breakdown, gender identity, health concerns, homesickness, house sharing, mental health problems, negative feelings, panic attacks, perfectionism and procrastination, relationships problems, self- injury, sexuality, sleep and insomnia problems, stress, suicide and trauma. This list is by no means exhaustive but should give you an idea of the ways in which counsellors and mental health advisors can help. We would like to reassure you that whatever your problem, we are ready to talk with you about it and help you get back on track again with your studies.

15. Can I see a Counsellor/mental health advisor at the University if I am seeing one at home too?

It is not recommended that you see two counsellors at the same time. If, however, you have received support before coming to University and wish to continue receiving this while studying at Reading, please let us know so that we can liaise effectively. If you are about to start at University in Reading, please contact us to arrange an early appointment so that we can make sure support is in place when you start.

The mental health advisors do see students who also have case workers at home and regularly liaise to ensure continuity of support.

16. How do I make a complaint?

While we hope you will never need to make a complaint about the Counselling & Wellbeing service, if you do need to do so, please contact our Head of Service in the first instance: please email Dr Alicia Peña-Bizama at or use the feedback form on our Counselling web pages.

back to top

   Section B:  All about Appointments

1. How long is a counselling appointment?

Counselling appointments last for up to 50 minutes. But if you don't need that long, you can leave earlier - when you have finished your discussions.

2. What should I expect at my first (initial) consultation?

When you come for your initial consultation with a Counsellor or mental health advisor it is quite normal to feel a little apprehensive: you will be meeting someone for the first time and talking about something personal which is causing you concern. Don't worry about this.

When you arrive, we will ask you to complete short questionnaire. Then you will go in to talk with your Counsellor or mental health advisor. In this consultation, you will have the opportunity to talk about your needs and identify the best way forward to manage your problems. If you both feel that a follow up appointment would be helpful, the Counsellor or mental health advisor can arrange this directly with you.

3. How many appointments can I have?

We offer short term support. Normally, students will be offered an initial (first) consultation with a follow-up appointment afterwards to review how things are going.

Where the Counsellor or mental health advisor feels it is necessary, further appointments can be offered. Mental health advisors often work with students who may need much more regular support and this is arranged on an individual basis. Most importantly, we try to ensure that all students are offered the appropriate level of support to make sure they can continue with their academic studies with minimum disruption.

4. Will I see the same person each time I come for an appointment?

 Yes. Except where you are referred to another team member (and this is always agreed with you in person and in advance) you will continue to see the same Counsellor or mental health advisor you met for your initial consultation.

5. Where are the appointments held?

Most counselling and mental health appointments are held in the Counselling & Wellbeing area in the Carrington building (first floor). These are primarily in purpose built rooms which offer a confidential and comfortable space in which to meet with your Counsellor or mental health advisor. The Counselling & Wellbeing Reception is in room 106 and there is a private waiting area here. We arrange consultations in individual space with no disruptions ( from phones or others). Sometimes the room will be in another part of the Carrington building.

6. Can I have an appointment by phone or SKYPE?

Once you have registered and had your initial consultation in person, then it may be possible, in certain circumstances, to receive counselling support by phone. We do not currently offer SKYPE appointments.

7. Are the appointments confidential?

Counselling appointments are confidential and independent. We take your privacy seriously. We do not share confidential information with parents, friends or members of the academic community without your prior written consent (except in exceptional circumstances - see our confidentiality agreement). We will never confirm to anyone that you have been in to the Counselling & Wellbeing service, except where you ask for co-ordinated support and sign a consent form.

8. Can I book an appointment for someone else?

It is not possible to book an appointment on behalf of a student - even if you are a family member or close friend. Appointments must be booked direct by the student concerned once they have registered with the service.

If you are concerned about someone's welfare and think they need Counselling & Wellbeing support, please encourage them to come in to see us. If they are living in university owned accommodation (halls of residence) you can also contact the relevant Hall warden and let them know of your concerns. If you feel there is something you need to tell us, please do get in contact. While we will not confirm that a student has been or is seeing us, we will make a note of everything you say and you can be reassured that we will take any appropriate action.

9. If I miss my appointment, can I re-book it?

If you have booked an appointment, please make every effort to attend on time. Our appointments are very valued and there is high demand for every session. If you are unwell, have a lecture or tutorial suddenly rescheduled or something important happens which means you can't come please do contact us as soon as possible as we can then offer the space to other students. This enables us to see everyone at the earliest possible opportunity. Please try to give us as much notice as possible.

We will always try to re-book your appointment as soon as possible - but there may be a delay in offering another appointment during busy periods.

10. I need to cancel or rearrange my appointment - how can I do this?

Please contact us as soon as possible if you need to cancel an appointment. Please phone: 0118 378 4216/4218 or email the Counselling & Wellbeing service ( Let us know if you want to rearrange your appointment: call in to the Counselling & Wellbeing reception (Carrington building, room 106, first floor) to check out when you can rebook.

11. Do you offer appointments for students submitting an Extenuating Circumstances Form?

We are able to support ECf applications, but only where a student is already registered with us and has already met with a Counsellor or mental health advisor prior to the submission of the form.

12. Do you employ any non-English speaking counsellors?

All our Counsellors offer appointments in English. If you wish to speak with a counsellor who speaks your native language (for example, Mandarin, Spanish, Hindi, Urdu, Arabic) then please let us know and we will refer you to a Counselling & Wellbeing service able to provide native speakers for appointments.

13. Can I bring anyone with me to my appointment?

It is usual to come to your Counselling appointment on your own, however, in some circumstances, you may be able to bring a partner or occasionally, a member of your family with you. If you wish to do this, please check in advance with the administrator, so that the counsellor can be notified.

14. What do you expect from me?

DO be on time for your appointment

DO give as much notice as possible if you have to cancel an appointment

DO switch off your mobile phone during the session

DON'T be violent or aggressive

DON'T attend whilst under the influence of drugs or alcohol

DON'T smoke during the session

back to top

Section C: What issues can Counsellors/mental health advisors help with

Counselling and mental health advisors offer support with any issue which is impacting your ability to study. Here are some questions we frequently get asked together with some advice about further sources of support you might like to look at.

1. Do you have any resources available on-line that I can look at?

We have an excellent range of resources on our Blackboard site. Just join the Counselling Organisation on Blackboard to find immediate links to support on:

o Difficulties with academic life

o Emotional problems

o Health worries

o Life Tools programme of talks

On your Blackboard page, click on the 'Enrolments' tab and type Counselling into the organisation search box. The counselling option is RD_COUNSEL1.

We also have a range of information and advice on these webpages, particularly on the Online Advice and leaflets section. Go to the Counselling & Wellbeing homepage and click on the link.

2. I am returning to University after suspending and have been asked to arrange a Study Support plan. What is this?

When you return to University after a period of suspension, it is helpful to know about the support on offer - in case you need it. Coming in to a Study Support plan appointment gives you the opportunity to meet with one of the Counselling and Wellbeing team to talk through the type of support available and also to provide you with a contact in case you need to speak with someone later on. Study Support plan appointments are normally part of the condition of returning - so you must attend the appointment. The Study Support plan appointments normally last around 45 minutes and you will be provided with a record of the appointment when you leave.

3. I think I may need to talk with someone about problems which relate to food. Who can I talk to about eating distress/disorders such as anorexia and bulimia?

If you feel you might have an issue with food and eating, it may be advisable to initially speak with a GP to discuss your health and your concerns. In addition to the individual appointments which can be arranged with one of the doctors at the University medical practice:,44375.htm, there is also a drop-in clinic at the University Health Centre on the last Wednesday of each month - information about the drop in is available either at the Northcourt Avenue medical practice reception, (telephone number: 01189-874551) or the Counselling reception: Carrington building, room 106, first floor or email, 0118 378 4216.

Counsellors and mental health advisors can provide on-going support to students with eating distress including anorexia, bulimia and binge eating. There is a helpful guide for advice available at:

If you want to arrange to talk with a Counsellor, you will need to register with the Counselling service

4. I'm worried about my drinking. Who can I talk to?

With all health related matters, discussing your concerns with your GP is also a good place to start. It is also possible to contact the Counselling & Wellbeing service for advice and support. You can contact the Counselling & Wellbeing service by calling in, in person during Reception opening hours, by email or by telephone: 0118 378 4216/4218.

There are a range of national and local support services which are also able to provide advice and support:

Alcohol Concern: Provides information and research about alcohol. has fact sheets and a directory of local treatment services

IRIS (Integrating Recovery in Services) for drug and alcohol treatment - have a member of their team (Ben) available in RUSU on a Thursday morning. A drop in service is available - call in to RUSU to find out about times. To contact Ben and arrange an appointment, please email:

NA AA: To find your local Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous support groups go to:

5. I'm anxious/depressed/stressed. Who can I talk to?

Many students encounter feelings of anxiety or stress or suffer from low mood (depression) at some point during their time at University. Anxiety may be experienced at many levels, from a low level worry or nervousness to severe panic, dependent on a person's particular circumstances and/or physical and emotional health.

If you find your anxiety or depression prolonged and symptoms severe or difficult to control please consider speaking to your GP, a trusted friend, family member, tutor or supervisor.

It is also possible to receive support and advice from the Counsellors and mental health advisors. Come in to register with the service and we can start to support you.

6. Where can I receive help and advice on drug problems?

With all health-related matters, discussing your concerns with your GP is a good place to start. There are a number of local and national organisations who are able to provide advice and support to students concerned about their drug use:

IRIS (Integrating Recovery in Services) for drug and alcohol treatment - have a member of their team (Ben) available in RUSU on a Thursday morning. A drop in service is available - call in to RUSU to find out about times. To contact Ben and arrange an appointment, please email:

Drugscope is the leading UK charity and the site has a student guide.

Tel. 020 7520 7550


To find your local Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous support groups go to

Alcohol Concern
Provides information and research about alcohol. has fact sheets and a directory of local treatment services

It is also possible to contact the Counselling and Wellbeing service for advice and support. You can contact the Counselling & Wellbeing service by calling in, in person during Reception opening hours, by email or by telephone.

7. I get nervous around exams - what help is there for me?

Don't worry if you feel nervous around exam times - this is quite normal. There are many types of support available at University. Check out the special Exams web pages for more guidance on where to go for information about specific revision classes and exam preparation sessions to help you to prepare. Check with your department or personal tutor for details of any sessions being organised.

There are also exams revision workshops which are run by the Study Advisors who are based in the Library (first floor, room 103). 1-1 study advice support sessions can also be arranged with Study Advisors - these can be booked by email, phone or by calling into the Library in person. The Study Advisors have written exam revision and other advice leaflets/resources which can be accessed on-line through the Study Advice web pages. Check out their web pages for more information:

You can also become familiar with the exams paper format and look at previous year's exam papers/questions through the examinations page of the university website:

If you find that you experience acute anxiety around exam time you can get support from the Counselling and Wellbeing service. We run a programme of talks - 'Life Tools' - which includes individual talks on subjects such as 'managing academic pressure', 'Increasing concentration', and 'understanding stress'. We also have useful advice leaflets eg. 'Managing anxiety', 'Procrastination and perfectionism' and 'Overcoming exam anxiety', which can be downloaded from our web pages or collected from the Counselling office in the Carrington building, first floor, room 106. It is also possible to register for an appointment to meet with one of the Counselling & Wellbeing team for a one to one appointment if you are struggling to manage your anxiety.

The university Peer Support network also offers student-to-student support during times of anxiety and stress. Check the Peer Support homepage for details of their weekly activities and support at:

Relaxation classes are also arranged during term time by the University Chaplaincy. For information go to:

If symptoms of anxiety become overwhelming and are affecting your health, you should contact a doctor for advice/support.

8. I am being bullied - what can I do?

The University is committed to the prevention of harassment and bullying for all its students (and staff).

If you feel you are being harassed or bulled, there are a number of resources to help you: Student's Union Representatives, Counselling and Wellbeing staff, Personal Tutors, Hall Wardens, Human Resources staff, Trades Union Representatives, Equal Opportunities and Diversity Officer are all there to help.

In addition there is a network of harassment advisers who can advise on issues of harassment.

It is important to talk to somebody before the problem starts to have a major impact on your academic work and your personal wellbeing. If you think you need help, please get in touch with us.

If you feel it might be helpful to talk with another student who is a trained listener, you might consider contacting Peer Support. Peer Support can provide space for you to talk about what's bothering you to someone who is outside the immediate situation and in doing so can help you to clarify what you're really feeling, and what your options are.

Peer Support is confidential and informal and supported by the Counselling & Wellbeing service; you can meet up with a peer supporter during the daytime whenever is convenient for both of you. You can meet just once for a one-off chat, or you can meet more regularly. Some people like just to sit and talk; others prefer to talk while going for a walk. To get in touch with peer support you can phone, email or call in to one of their 'Wellbeing Wednesday' or 'Open House' events. To find out more go to:

9. I am concerned about fitting in with other students, as I don't find it easy to make friends

Many students struggle to manage the transition between home and university life. There is a mass of information to take in when you arrive, as well as the practical adjustments that need to be made - such as finding your way around, meeting lots of new people, establishing yourself in your new location. If you are finding it difficult to adjust to the change, here are some suggestions of things you can try:

a. Join in with activities that involve being with people. If you have an interest or hobby, or attend church at home, find out how to continue this at university and have a go. Whatever your interest, joining in and transferring your enthusiasm across to your new environment will help you to provide a stability and continuity to your former life, at the same time as investing emotionally in your new life.

b. Spend time with a few potential friends, rather than a large number of acquaintances. Nurture the emerging friendships which can become emotional substitutes for the home bonds, by doing activities together: don't just sit in lectures; explore the town together and share significant experiences such as joining a society or trying out a new pursuit.

c. Meet with one of the peer support network (supported by the Counselling & Wellbeing team). Peer supporters are trained in listening and supporting other students and can provide space for you to talk about what's bothering you to someone who is outside the immediate situation and in doing so can help you to clarify what you're really feeling. Peer Support is confidential and completely informal; you can meet up with a peer supporter during the day time, whenever is convenient for both of you. You can meet just once for a one-off chat, or you can meet more regularly. Some people like just to sit and talk; others prefer to talk while going for a walk. To get in touch with peer support you can phone, email or call in to one of their 'Wellbeing Wednesday' or 'Open House' events. To find out more go to: or email:

d. Join in with some of the activities organised by student wellbeing: There are a range of activities and talks arranged throughout the year - check the Life Tools leaflet for information.

e. Counsellors at the University Counselling & Wellbeing service are also available to help students work out their own strategies and solutions so that they feel able to manage, and in time - perhaps even quite quickly - actually enjoy university life. It's a good idea to book an appointment to see a Counsellor if:

- Being away and trying to make new friends leaves you feeling completely overwhelmed, rather than the feelings coming and going;

- You begin to think in a self-destructive way;

- Your self-esteem is suffering;

- This is your usual reaction in new situations and you know it doesn't improve quickly.

10. My relationship problems are significantly affecting my ability to study. Can you help?

Relationship breakdowns and difficulties can be extremely difficult to manage and impact on your ability to work. The Counsellors are experienced in providing advice and support on a wide range of relationship issues. Occasionally, they will see couples to help resolve issues. They are also called upon to give advice about Domestic Violence. We have written a useful hand-out which provides suggestions and advice on how to overcome some of these issues. In addition, Counsellors regularly support students who are finding it difficult to cope with the end of a relationship or breakdown of a marriage. If you would like to talk with a counsellor, please register with the service and request an appointment

The following agencies can also be approached to provide support to students:

Relate: works with individual and couples on relationship problems - 281 Basingstoke Road, Reading, RG2 0JA, Telephone: 01189 876161

Domestic Violence:  Berkshire Women's Aid: Telephone: 01189 504003;

Crossing Bridges: Telephone: 01189 597333, phone then drop in for advice.

11. I have problems with my housemates. Can I talk with you about this?

Moving into a shared house for the first time can be exciting, but in some cases the reality of communal living can be experienced as stressful. Counsellors and mental health advisors regularly talk with students who experience problems with their house-mates or difficulties with their shared accommodation. They can work in conjunction with other student services and university bodies, to help to overcome these issues so that the students concerned can move forward in a constructive way.

If you are uncertain where to start when you want to move into a shared house, consider going to RUSU - who run talks on what to look for when choosing a student house. RUSU student advisors: email Telephone: 0118 378 4100/RUSU Student Advice Team, The Hub, Students' Union, Whiteknights Campus

They also run drop-in sessions UPP (for university owned accommodation):

Pick up our leaflet - 'House Sharing' (downloadable from our Leaflets page or pick up a copy outside Carrington 106) for advice and tips.

Other sources of advice on this subject are:The Accommodation Advisory Team, Student Services Centre, Carrington Building Telephone: 0118 378 5555 or email

 12. Can the Counsellors help with bereavement?

When someone close to you dies, the range of emotions and feelings you experience can been even more difficult to manage when you are away from your home and family and trying to keep going with your academic studies. The Counsellors can provide advice and support through this difficult period. In addition, there are a number of other forms of support to access both within the university community and outside:

The University Chaplaincy is experienced in providing bereavement support to all students. Contact them on: 0118-378 8797.

The peer support network can provide support to students both at the Wellbeing Wednesday which is held every Wednesday during term time, from 1.30 - 3.00pm in the Study (behind RUSU) or on a one to one basis with an appropriate member of the peer support network. Contact Peer support through the Counselling reception or at

Cruse Bereavement Care: provides support for the bereaved through counselling, groups and advice.

English Martyrs Community Centre, Liebenrood, Road, Reading

Telephone: 01189 588133

13. I am struggling with my academic work and I don't know where to go for help and advice? Can the Counsellors help me?

The Counselling & Wellbeing team regularly provide support to students who are struggling with issues such as procrastination, perfectionism and maintaining motivation. In addition to the programme of Wellbeing talks - 'Life Tools' -  which is run throughout the academic year, the Counsellors and mental health advisors regularly liaise with the Disability advisory team, Study Advisors and RUSU advisors to provide appropriate practical support.

Reading University Study Advice: provides individual study advice sessions, study guides, workshops and academic support to all students. Contact: or telephone 0118 378 4242. Individual advice sessions are available most days and tailored to individual needs.

Reading University Mathematics Support Centre: In the main library for all students with mathematical content in their course. There are workshops, one to one support sessions, worksheets and email support available. Visit the website at: or telephone: 0118 378 7484.

RUSU academic advisors: RUSU student advice team can support students with a wide range of academic problems including: complaints, academic misconduct, disciplinaries, and results appeals. Contact RUSU on 0118 378 4100 or email:

back to top

Things to do now

Page navigation

See also


Search Form

A-Z lists