MSc by Research Agriculture, Ecology and Environment
Prepare for a research career in the agricultural and agri-environment sectors – or for doctoral studies – with our MSc by Research in Agriculture, Ecology and Environment master’s degree.
You’ll gain a multi-disciplinary appreciation of the underlying environmental, social and economic issues surrounding contemporary agricultural systems, and receive rigorous training in commonly used research methods and statistical analyses.
You’ll also learn from researchers from the Centre for Agri-Environmental Research, a leading centre for agroecology research that’s highly respected by employers in the sector.
Choose MSc by Research in Agriculture, Ecology and Environment at the University of Reading
- join the highest-ranking UK university for Agriculture and Forestry (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022 - Agriculture & Forestry). We’re ranked 11th in the world, and are the only UK university in the top 50.
- develop your critical appraisal skills of research literature at the interface between agriculture, ecology and environmental science.
- gain the skills to plan, manage and conduct an in-depth field and/or lab-based independent research project.
Joining this programme means you’ll also be joining the Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics based in the School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, where we are committed to empowering change through our teaching and research. Our academics tackle some of the world’s most pressing issues across their respective fields of expertise, and our mission is to make a difference in the context of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
As a MSc by Research in Agriculture, Ecology and Environment student, you will have access to the:
- Crops Research Unit at Sonning Farm, which has facilities to support field plot experiments on all temperate arable and forage crops within a dedicated 12 ha, irrigable field site, and supporting laboratory and teaching facilities.
- Crop and Environmental Laboratory, with 2,500 m2 of heated glasshouses, climate controlled and factorial houses, controlled environment growth cabinets, and a protected field plot experimental area.
Your learning environment
As part of your degree, you will participate in a one-week field trip visiting a range of different organisations in the sector, giving you broad exposure to potential employers and job roles.
You may also have the opportunity to conduct research projects through placements at local organisations.
You will choose from a diverse range of modules that aim to give you the knowledge and skills you need to have an impact and be part of global change, and you can choose to undertake an optional placement during the summer term, as well.
Class sizes vary by module, but emphasis is always placed on good contact with lecturers.
Learning occurs across a variety of:
- interactive learning methods
- participation in the classroom: debates, discussions
- field trips
- laboratory sessions.
You will also have opportunities for research, networking, and personal development, as well as access to modern study resources and employability support. We also offer study skills support that’s tailored to our School’s master’s students.
The Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics
As an MSc by Research in Agriculture, Ecology and Environment student, you’ll be a member of the School’s Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics (GIIDAE).
GIIDAE attracts a diverse community of master’s students from more than 40 countries, and holds diversity, equality and high-quality teaching and learning as core values in its approach to education.
- GIIDAE has an active scholarship programme. Visit our dedicated scholarships webpage for more information about scholarships, bursaries, and other sources of funding.
- Visit the GIIDAE website for more information about the modules you can take during your degree.
- Download a copy of the GIIDAE brochure, which tells you more about postgraduate study in our School.