Areas of interest
My research focuses on questions about how to respond to the way in which politics often fails to live up to our moral ambitions.
We might be disappointed, for example, that we continue to disagree bitterly over what we ought to do together politically, and so cannot achieve an ideal of unity or consensus. How then should we think about who, if anyone, is to blame for that disagreement, and what any of us ought to do about it?
Some of these issues have developed in a narrowly methodological way, in recent debates around ideal and non-ideal theory, and what's been called realism. I also have interests in more directly practical issues, in particular around the value of equality, protest and resistance and political authority, and responsibility for injustice.
I am happy to supervise students in most areas of political theory. Please contact me if you are interested in supervision, whether at undergraduate, masters or doctoral level.
Research centres and groupsCo-Director of REAPP (Reading Ethics and Political Philosophy)
BackgroundI joined the Department in 2015 from the University of Leicester, where I'd been for two years. Before that, I held a variety of teaching and research positions at University College London, and before that, I studied for my doctorate in political theory at the University of Oxford, which I finished in 2009. I'd like to think that despite this long history of academic institutionalisation, I am mostly fairly normal.
- DPhil, Oxford
- MPhil Political Theory, Oxford
- BA (Hons) PPE, Oxford
Awards and honoursLeverhulme Early Career Fellow at UCL and then Leicester between 2011 and 2014.
- Jubb, R. (2019) On what a distinctively political normativity is. Political Studies Review , 17 (4). pp. 360-369. ISSN: 1478-9302 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1478929919832251
- Jubb, R. (2019) Disaggregating political authority: what's wrong with Rawlsian civil disobedience?. Political Studies , 67 (4). pp. 955-971. ISSN: 0032-3217 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0032321718816208
- Jubb, R. (2017) Consent and deception. Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy , 12 (2). pp. 223-229. ISSN: 1559-3061 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.26556/jesp.v12i2.192
- Jubb, R. (2017) Realism. In: Blau, A. , (eds.) Methods in Analytical Political Theory. Cambridge University Press pp. 112-130. ISBN: 9781316162576 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/9781316162576.008
- Jubb, R. (2016) Norms, evaluations and ideal and non-ideal theory. Social Philosophy and Policy , 33 (1-2). pp. 393-412. ISSN: 1471-6437 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0265052516000212
- Jubb, R. (2016) Recover it from the facts as we know them. Journal of Moral Philosophy , 13 (1). pp. 77-99. ISSN: 1745-5243 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/17455243-4681059
- Jubb, R. (2015) The real value of equality. The Journal of Politics , 77 (3). pp. 679-691. ISSN: 0022-3816 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/681262
- Jubb, R. (2015) Playing Kant at the Court of King Arthur. Political Studies , 63 (4). pp. 919-934. ISSN: 0032-3217 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1467-9248.12132
- Jubb, R. (2014) Participation in and responsibility for state injustices. Social Theory and Practice , 40 (1). pp. 51-72. ISSN: 0037-802X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5840/soctheorpract20144013
- Jubb, R. (2013) Social connection and practice-dependence: some recent developments in the global justice literature. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy , 16 (5). pp. 698-713. ISSN: 1743-8772 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13698230.2012.700101
- Jubb, R. and Kurtulmus, F. (2012) No country for honest men: political philosophers and real politics. Political Studies , 60 (3). pp. 539-556. ISSN: 0032-3217 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9248.2011.00934.x
- Jubb, R. (2012) Contribution to collective harms and responsibility. Ethical Perspectives , 19 (4). pp. 733-764. ISSN: 1370-0049
- Jubb, R. (2012) The tragedy of non-ideal theory. European Journal of Political Theory , 11 (3). pp. 229-246. ISSN: 1741-2730 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1474885111430611
- Jubb, R. (2011) Rawls and Rousseau: 'amour-propre' and the strains of commitment. Res Publica , 17 (3). pp. 245-260. ISSN: 1572-8692 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11158-011-9155-1
- Jubb, R. (2011) On the significance of the basic structure: a priori baseline views and luck egalitarianism. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy , 14 (1). pp. 59-79. ISSN: 1743-8772 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09692290.2010.517982
- Jubb, R. (2009) Logical and epistemic foundationalism about grounding: the triviality of facts and principles. Res Publica ISSN: 1572-8692
- Jubb, R. (2009) Basic Income, Republican Freedom, and Effective Market Power. Basic Income Studies , 3 (2).