University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Requesting Legal Advice

How to contact the Legal Services Department to request legal advice and support

Please contact Legal Services as soon as possible. Whatever your query relates to, by contacting us early, it will allow sufficient time for the matter to be properly considered and any legal issues addressed as it is always easier to manage any potential issues in advance. It will also allow us to work with you to meet any relevant timescales.

If you have a query or matter of a legal nature, please complete the online form within HighQ. 

  1. Fill in the form as thoroughly as possible and answer all relevant questions.
  2. Make sure to use your University of Reading or Henley Business School email address, as any other email address may result in the request having to be re-submitted.
  3. After submitting a request, you will receive an email confirming your submission, and providing you with the matter reference number. Please check your junk mail box if you don’t receive this email, and contact if you still cannot find it.
  4. If your request involves a new partnership with an external organisation or company, please fill out the Due Diligence Form which is linked to in the confirmation email.
  5. Once the matter has been allocated to a Legal Services colleague, you will receive a follow up email confirming this alongside the name of the team member. If you have not received this email within 2 working days of submitting your request, please contact
  6. Please send the completed due diligence form, if required, to your allocated Legal Services colleague as soon as possible. 

Any University employee can seek advice from the Legal Services Department on matters relating to the business of the University or its subsidiaries. However, we may seek the approval of relevant Heads of School or Heads of Function before progressing matters. Therefore, please ensure that your Head of School/Function is aware of the activity and you have spoken to them first.

Please note: The lawyers in the Legal Services Department act for the University and as such are only able to advise on University matters. We are unable to offer legal advice to students or staff on private or personal matters, including claims they may have against the University. Students should contact Reading Students Union and staff should seek independent legal advice. We are also unable to provide advice to contractors of the University. 

What information will we require from you

  • Provide a brief outline of your matter and the assistance you require.
  • Attach any key documents
  • Inform us of the timescales you are working to

Bids Process For queries relating to bids and procurement, we request that Legal Services are notified as soon as possible that you intend to apply, and preferably before you have received the Request for Proposals (RFP), so that we have as much time as possible to plan in the work to support you. Supporting bids can be time-consuming and will often be complex.

Disputes and claims If you receive any correspondence threatening legal action against the University of Reading (including a claim form or a letter before action), we ask that you contact Legal Services immediately. Failure to do so may result in the University being unable to put forward a defence and incurring unnecessary liabilities..