The Legal Services Department provides advice and support on a wide range of activities across the University and its subsidiaries. Some of the key areas on which we can provide advice and support are set out below, but all queries and matters of a legal nature should be directed to Legal Services.
If you receive notice that any form of legal action is being or may be brought against the University you must send details of the claim, including any court documents you have received, to us immediately so that we can act as soon as possible to protect the University.
Areas on which we can provide assistance include:
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating contracts and other legal agreements or arrangements with organisations external to the University;
- Managing disputes and claims against the University, or managing claims brought by the University;
- Providing commercial and corporate advice;
- Advising appropriate colleagues across the University on legal and regulatory compliance and risk;
- Advising on legal issues arising from the University's estate and preparing documents including leases and licences;
- Advising on Intellectual Property matters;
- Managing the registration, use and protection of the University's trade marks;
- Reviewing and advising on legal aspects of communications, including advertising, marketing, website and announcements;
- Drafting and reviewing policies, procedures and regulations;
- Providing advice and legal support to the University on education and student matters; and
- Providing advice and legal support to the University on employment matters.
The Legal Services Department is also responsible for obtaining all external legal advice from solicitors and barristers. If you think you need external advice, you must contact Legal Services first and we will assist you in getting any necessary advice. You can find more information on seeking external advice here.
Please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0118 378 6742
If your query relates to the following matters you should seek advice in the first instance from colleagues in these departments:
|Data Protection or Freedom of Information||IMPSemail@example.com|
|Copyright compliance||Copyright Officerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contractual activity to support research, such as research funding contracts, staff consultancy agreements||Research Contracts Teamemail@example.com|
|Contracts or questions relating to the purchase of goods or services||Procurementfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Staff matters||Human Resources||Your HR Partner or advisor|
|Insurance matters||Insurance Officeremail@example.com|