The University publishes equality and diversity data annually to assess the progress made and challenges faced in achieving our equality and diversity objectives.
The report also sets out the equality-related data that has been gathered during the year and makes recommendations for future action.
Please contact the Diversity and Inclusion Advisor Yasmin Ahmed for more information or to provide any comment.
- Retained the University Athena Swan Bronze Award.
- Two successful school Athena Swan awards: Bronze for the School of Biological Sciences and Bronze for School of Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences.
- Highest ever Stonewall Workplace Equality Index ranking (168 out of 439 in Stonewall WEI 2017).
- Set up the Cultural Diversity Group which has met four times through the year.
- Organised two LGBT+ Ally recruitment and information sessions hosted jointly by the VC, the LGBT Plus Network and RUSU, and distributed hundreds of LGBT+/LGBT+ Ally postcards and lanyards across campus.
- Reviewed our procedures for academic promotions, including introducing new criteria for citizenship and leadership, explicitly valuing D&I work and contributions.
- Achieved excellent scores for diversity and inclusion in our staff engagement survey. All staff groups rated this as our highest scoring area.
- Launched the newly developed inclusive Curriculum Framework which will guide the inclusive pedagogies and curricula design, delivery, and review of all degree level programmes in the future.
- Expanded the THRIVE career mentoring scheme (involving the provision of an alumni/employer mentor to part two undergraduates for a 9-10 month period) that supports students in formulating their career goals and leveraging work experience opportunities - particularly useful for students who may not have the social or family networks that would give them access to such things.
- Developed a Trans and Gender identity - Supporting Information and Procedures for Staff and Students that highlights the University's commitment to respecting an individual's right to self-identify as male, female, gender fluid, non-binary or any other gender identity and providing support in relation to gender identity and gender reassignment.
- Established a project group to progress our application to sign up to the Disability Confident Scheme.
- Commissioned a research report to understand the perception of BAME staff and the public in relation to University of Reading as an employer.
- 2016 - 2017 Annual Diversity and Inclusion Report - Staff
- 2016 - 2017 Diversity and Inclusion Report - Students
- 2016-2017 Student Report Annexes
- 2015 - 2016 Annual Diversity and Inclusion Report - Staff
- 2015 - 2016 Annual Diversity and Inclusion Report - Students
- 2015 - 2016 Student Report Annexes
- 2014-2015 Annual Diversity & Inclusion Report - Staff
- 2014-2015 Annual Diversity & Inclusion Report - Students
- 2014-2015 Student Report Annexes
- Equality Report 2013 - 2014
- Equality Report 2013 - 2014 Annexes