This page is for students on full-time postgraduate taught (PGT) programmes (on Master's programmes).
If you are a part-time or flexible modular Master's student, please look here.
How do I select my modules?
Log in to the RISIS portal to start selecting your modules.
Guidance on the module selection process is available, and you can read the module selection FAQs.
Where can I see what modules are offered?
You can find the list of optional modules available for your programme by looking at the module information on the RISIS portal.
- Log in to the RISIS portal
- Select 'Information' from the top menu bar
- Select 'Programme and Modules'
- Click on 'Your module selection information for 2020/21'
A few weeks before online module selection takes place, you can log in to the RISIS portal and use the module browser. This allows you to look at the different modules offered and make preliminary choices as well as submitting your choices when the module selection goes live. Online module selection happens in September for new PGT students joining the University, and you will always receive an email letting you know that this is about to happen.
How many credits do I need?
As a full-time postgraduate taught student you must have a total of 180 credits.
How many credits is each module worth?
The majority of modules are worth 10 or 20 credits, although projects or dissertations may have a higher credit value. Each credit equates approximately to 10 hours of work (including all contact hours such as lectures or classes, as well as further reading and any assessments).
When choosing your modules, please make sure that you register for the right number of credits and optional modules each academic year. This means checking that you have the right number of credits for your programme (this information is available when you make your selections online), as well as the compulsory modules for your programme and any required pre-requisites or co-requisites for the modules you are taking.
Can I change my modules after I have selected them?
Changes to requests should be made as soon as possible and until the Thursday of week 3 in the Autumn term at 17:00 and, for Spring term modules only, until the Thursday of week 2 at 17:00.
For more information on changing your modules, please see the module selection FAQs.
You may request changes to your optional modules, however please note that you do not have an automatic right to change your optional modules. Consideration will be given as to whether you have the necessary pre- and co-requisites, whether there are places available on the module and whether the deadline for changing optional modules has passed.
Where can I get help with choosing my modules?
There are several different places you can go for help and advice:
- Academic staff - You can speak to your Programme Director or Academic Tutor for guidance on which modules to choose to meet your academic objectives and interests.
- Schools often arrange sessions on programmes and available modules for their postgraduate students. Check your timetable or ask your Support Centre for more information on this,
- Support Centres - You can visit your Support Centre in person for assistance with online module selection or you can get help over the phone.
- Online support - You can ask a question about module selection via the 'Ask a question' feature on the RISIS portal or you can email email@example.com
- Check our module selection FAQs.