Part-time and flexible modular programmes
This page is for students on part-time or flexible modular programmes at undergraduate or postgraduate taught level. Full time students, please see our full-time UG and PG course information.
How do I select my modules?
You will receive information about your programme of studies from your Programme Director or Support Centre. This will include the list of modules available to you (both compulsory and optional), the number of credits you need to take that year as well as any programme rules and timescales in place. If you have not received this, or need any advice on module selections, please contact your Support Centre.
Once you have selected your modules, please send an email to module email@example.com (from your University email account) stating which programme you are on and the module code for each of your selected modules. We will process your module selection requests and will confirm this to you by email.
How many credits do I need?
- As a part-time student you should aim to take half the full-time number of credits in each year of study.
- If you are a part-time student on a flexible modular programme, please check your programme rules to see how many modules you should be taking to be able to complete the programme within the given timescales. You should be able to find this on your programme specification.
How many credits is each module worth?
The majority of modules are worth 10 or 20 credits, although projects or dissertations may have a higher credit value. Each credit equates approximately to 10 hours of work (including all contact hours such as lectures or classes, as well as further reading and any assessments).
When choosing your modules, please make sure that you follow recommendations from your Programme Director on the number of credits (for compulsory and optional modules) for that academic year and any rules which might be in place for your programme (see programme specifications).
Can I change my modules after I have selected them?
Requests to change your optional modules should be made as soon as possible, or until the Friday of week 3 in the Autumn term at 12:30 hrs (for modules taught in the Autumn and Autumn/Spring term) and until the Friday of week 2 at 12:30 hrs (for modules taught in the Spring term). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your requested changes.
Some programmes may have different deadlines, so make sure you read any guidance carefully when considering any module changes.
Please note that you do not have an automatic right to change your optional modules. Consideration will be given as to whether you have the necessary pre- and co-requisites, whether there are places available on the module and whether the deadline for changing optional modules has passed.
Where can I get help with choosing my modules?
There are several different places you can go for help and advice:
- Academic staff - You can speak to your Programme Director or Academic Tutor for guidance on which modules to choose to meet your academic objectives and interests.
- Online support - You can ask a question about module selection via the 'Ask a question' feature on the RISIS portal or you can email email@example.com (from your University email account)
- See our FAQs for more specific advice