The Tier 4 Policy Guidance states that Tier 4 students are permitted to return to the UK during the validity of their Tier 4 visa after they have successfully completed their course (i.e. during their post-study period), but NOT where the course for which the visa was issued has been completed early. An example of activities that are permitted and would not be treated as a change of circumstance are as follows:
- To attend graduation
- Pursue further studies
- Undertake/look for an internship or work
- Switch to a Tier 2 visa, Start-up visa etc.
- Make an application to extend their Tier 4 visa (if eligible)
- To sort out personal affairs and leave before their visa/BRP expires
- Visit areas in the UK
- Enter and leave the UK
Please note Border Force Officers will retain their right to determine whether your intentions are genuine. Therefore, in order to minimise the risk of being refused re-entry to the UK it is important that you carry sufficient evidence. This evidence can include:
- Course offer letter or new CAS as evidence you will be pursuing further studies and will apply for a new Tier 4 visa.
- An appointment booking confirmation email to have your Tier 4 visa application checked by the International Student Advisory Team (bookable via RISIS).
- A CoS from an employer or a Start-up visa endorsement as evidence you will be applying to switch your visa.
- A letter confirming your internship/employment, confirmation of an interview or evidence you have been looking for an internship/employment.
- Evidence that you have successfully completed your course e.g. certificate, transcript or a letter from your school confirming you have passed.
- Your graduation invitation.
- Financial evidence that shows you are in a position to financially support yourself, and if applicable make a successful visa application.
- A return flight ticket to leave the UK before your Tier 4 visa expires.
There is not guarantee of entry on a Tier 4 visa once your studies have ended, but following the above advice should minimise any risk of being refused re-entry to the UK. If you do experience difficulties re-entering the UK please show the Border Force Officer this web page and contact us.