Losing your travel documents abroad can be a costly and lengthy process. We recommend that you keep your documents locked in a safe location or wear a belt or neck pouch to conceal your documents and money under your clothes.
Key Travel Safety Messages
- Take out comprehensive travel insurance before travelling.
- Ensure it covers you for your destination and everything you are planning on doing e.g. winter sports.
- Research your destination before you travel.
- Visit the FCO website for specific information on your destination at: www.fco.gov.uk/travel and to research the local laws and customs for your destination.
- Check out medical requirements with your GP in plenty of time before travelling, and get the relevant vaccinations or prescribed medications for your destination.
- Make copies of your travel documents.
- Leave one copy with someone responsible at home and take another with you.
- Make a note of your credit card/debit card details.
- Make sure you have emergency contact details, e.g. your insurance provider, the local embassy, family numbers.
- Be alert to the existence of street crime, especially thieves using distraction techniques. Thieves often work in teams of two or more people and tend to target money and passports. Don’t carry all your valuables in one place.
- Take extra care to guard passports, money and personal belongings when collecting or checking in luggage at the airport, and while arranging car hire.
- Make sure your accommodation has adequate security measures in place and lock all doors and windows at night or when you aren’t in.
Replacing a BRP card lost or stolen outside the UK
Please visit the University’s ‘Lost, stolen or damaged BRP?’ article on our website for information on what to do.
Replacing entry clearance vignettes lost or stolen outside the UK
The following information outlines the steps you need to take if you lose your passport abroad containing your vignette issued for the full length of your stay in the UK:
- Report the loss or theft to the police and obtain a reference number/report.
- Obtain a new passport/travel document via your Embassy.
- You will need to apply online using the standard online visa application, the fee is £169: https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome When asked to Select Visa Type, select the following: Reason for visit: Other Visa type: Others
Visa sub type: Vignette transfer