Campus, town and accommodation

Campus and town

Our main Whiteknights site is an exceptional environment in which to study, live and relax. International Summer School students have access to:

  • 130 hectares of beautiful parkland, a lake, rare trees and wildlife
  • an excellent choice of food both on and off campus
  • extensive indoor and outdoor sports facilities
  • our cutting-edge teaching and learning facilities including access to museums, libraries and self-study centres

Reading is a highly multicultural town and just a short walk or bus ride away. The town centre has lively nightlife, shops, restaurants and caf├ęs. See what Reading has to offer here:

The University of Reading is in a prime location in the South-East of England and has excellent transport links. The centre of London is only 25 minutes by train and London Heathrow Airport is just 40 minutes away.


The University of Reading has a range of high quality self-catering accommodation and you can choose the best option for your needs and budget. You are also able to book extra nights in your accommodation if you would like to explore the UK before your course starts or after your course finishes. The booklet below* shows the accommodation the University has to offer during the summer.

When you have been offered a place on your course, the Stay team will send you out instructions to apply, with a special promotional code that you will get you a discount on your summer accommodation. You will then be able to apply for accommodation at

Please book to arrive the day before your course starts as courses start promptly on the first day. Note that the bedrooms do not contain bedding but you will be given the option to purchase a bedding pack containing all of the bedding you will need.



If you are having problems viewing the booklet, it can be downloaded as a PDF: 2015 Summer Accommodation

Please note that you should only book accommodation when you are confident that you have been offered a place on the International Summer School. Once you make your application you will be expected to make full payment to hold the booking.


Frequently Asked Questions

 I don't have accommodation booked and I am due to start my course soon; what shall I do?

Answer: You should email us at We can assist you to find short term, temporary accommodation in the area, or investigate alternatives.

How much will it cost for me to live in University accommodation?

Answer: Please see the page  for information about costs over the summer 

How will my Hall room be furnished?

Answer: Please see our  page for more details about what is in your hall room.

Can I access the internet from my Hall room?

Answer: Yes-A data service in all Hall bedrooms allows you to connect your PC direct to the University network, giving unlimited high-speed access to the internet.

Are there telephones in the bedrooms?

Answer: There are no telephone lines in study bedrooms, but each Hall has a number of internal phones which can be used to make emergency calls free of charge, and other external calls using a 'calling card'. In addition, each Hall has at least one payphone in an area suitable for making confidential calls. Many students now use commercial voice-over-IP services to obtain a telephone connection via the data network.

Can I book accommodation beyond the end of my course?

Answer: Yes. The accommodation can be booked in the summer any time up until the 19th September 2014. Therefore you can book to stay longer than your course should you wish to use Reading as a base for some sightseeing.

Can I smoke in my Hall of Residence?

Answer: No - all areas of Halls (including study bedrooms) have been designated as no-smoking areas.

What catering options are available to me?

Answer: In the Summer months of July, August and September, catering is not available as part of the accommodation package. For more information about food shopping in the local area please see our 'Shopping and Eating' page.

During your stay there may be times when you need to purchase meals or snacks from University catering outlets. The units that are available and their opening hours can be found on the Catering Services website

The catering outlets offer various styles of food to meet most tastes. They are well spread across the University campuses.

If you have a Campus Card you can take advantage of the catering discount scheme. Open your account online at our dedicated and secure website

What if I experience problems whilst living in Halls of Residence?

Answer: A telephone hotline (0118 378 7777) is available 24/7 for any problems in hall.

On arrival you will receive a hall handbook with greater details about service delivery times and how to report problems.

I have applied for my visa but have experienced problems/delays, what shall I do?

Answer: As soon as you know there will be a delay with your visa, email us at immediately. If you do not arrive on your booking date to move into your room, your room is at risk of being offered to another student.

I am arriving outside of normal reception hours, will I be able to check into my room?


Answer: Yes. You will need to go to your hall, and call the security team from the call point outside the main entrance. Please carry some photo ID with you, such as your passport. They will then be able to issue you with your room key.

I have a question which is not covered above, what shall I do?

Answer: Please contact the Stay team at and we will happy to answer any accommodation questions that you have.

Things to do now

Contact us


Accommodation queries

If you have any queries about accommodation please don't hesitate to contact the Stay team:

Page navigation

More information... Find out more about the accommodation available, visit the Stay Homepage




Search Form

A-Z lists